Using PC's with Rear Projection Television

tommo

Gawd
I've been thinking about hooking my pc up to my new rear projection television, but I worry about damaging the screen. The manual tells me not to, but it'd be nice to see what those hdtv television recordings would look like.

Does anyone use their HTPC with a rear projection?

I am, but haven't been doing it for long. It didn't explode or anything when I did it.

i hook my pc up to my 40" rear projecton samsung some times and it looks really nice if i use component hdtv out from my msi 6600gt.

i surf the hard forums from it some times, i will post up pics some time with a comparison of normal s-video out and hd-tv component out

Is it a CRT, LCD, or DLP RPTV? You should be fine if its an LCD or DLP. Only CRT's and Plasmas have burn-in issues, from what I've read.

your concern about damaging the screen mostly applies to CRT type rear projection, constant images (windows bar, desktop picture, icons) will eventually burn in (read 100+ hours of the same picture)
LCD or DLP is really a non-issue.
I run a 60" Sony w/ a radeon 800pro at 1776x1000 via component. This size fits perfectly on my TV w/o using Powerstrip to adjust settings for overscan (picture beyond edges of screen), but all RP-TV's are not the same. Experiment to find the right res for you.
HL2 looks sweet :D

s-video blows, do component

i have a mits 48" RPTV and my htpc works fine on this. just dont leave it on windows or something that will burn it in for long periods of time. i only watch movies and tv shows though on this tv. hd movies look amazing.

travanx said:
i have a mits 48" RPTV and my htpc works fine on this. just dont leave it on windows or something that will burn it in for long periods of time. i only watch movies and tv shows though on this tv. hd movies look amazing.

where'd you get an hd movie?

im confused about this also, here in the UK preety much all the Home Cinema mags say that there are no Burn in issues with DLP HD TV sets. when useing a pc or a games consoles on it. while a few american forums/sites have people saying some times you do get burning with these type of TV sets.

i am looking to buy this Thosiba DLP HD TV Set it has a div/hdmi port so should be easy to set up with my pc. i see a lot of the peeps posting pictures of thier set up in the gallery here and almost all of em have pcs connected so it should be fine.

DLP, LCD and LCOS will not suffer burn-in. LCD can have image persistance but that only will last for less than a day in an extreme case. The only technologies that have burn-in are CRT and plasma.

I have a Sony 53" RPTV that is CRT based (KP-53HS10). I run my DVR through it via a VGA-->Component transcoder (running Beyond TV and Beyond Media). Just make sure you don't leave a Windows desktop running on it. . . and turn on the screensavers within any programs you use (BTV and BM both have screen savers that work well).

I'd also be careful of any games that have a HUD that is displayed for hours at a time.

I have only experienced a very minor "burn" on my TV. I have three faint, pink-ish lines in the lower-left corner where a network logo (that I used to leave on for several hours nearly every night) left its mark. It even rotates. . . but that wasn't enough to save my set. :(

No biggy, it's only noticable on a pure white or very light backdrop. :)

what about the "rainbow effect" can any of you notice it during gaming?

I notice it on my Samsung DLP RPTV but I am pretty suseptable to it. My wife couldn't see what the hell I was talking about so it is deffinately minor amount of people affected.

I have played games on my Hitachi CRT RPTV for hours/days on end and never experienced burn-in. The big thing to combat burn-in is to make sure your contrast is set correctly and bump up brightness a little if the game is still to dark.

Rainbow effect for DLP's ( and screen effect for LCD projections ) can be very subjective. Some people are simply more prone. But it is also something that you can easily adjust to after a week of viewing. Also, it's the lower end models that are typically prone to this problem. Newer or more expensive DLP's use a higher speed or multiple color wheels that eliminates the rainbow effect.

they get posted places. but a hint would be that you can record them off of satellite HD broadcasts.

LittleMe said:
where'd you get an hd movie?

alysenne said:
Rainbow effect for DLP's ( and screen effect for LCD projections ) can be very subjective. Some people are simply more prone. But it is also something that you can easily adjust to after a week of viewing. Also, it's the lower end models that are typically prone to this problem. Newer or more expensive DLP's use a higher speed or multiple color wheels that eliminates the rainbow effect.

Just wanted to note that the newer DLP units use 3 chips, 1each dedicated to R/G/B exclusively and thus doesn't need a color wheel. These units also start around 30K and are only currently found in front projectors.

I know on my Mitsubishi rear projector, (CRT based) the TV will turn off after 20 minutes or so if it isn't in use, obviously burn in isn't an issue for me. Now if I could just get my PowerBook working on it I would be happy. My PC works like a champ though (Go nVidia Drivers!).

Back