Using PC to record Security Cameras

whittech

Weaksauce
Hello everyone.

Looking for some good advice on using a computer program to manage, record off of security cameras (Q-see cameras to be exact)
anyone have any suggestions? I have searched around and cant seem to locate a program that would seem solid for my specific use.

If possible id like to capture and record from 4-8 cameras, and if possible , able to view them remotely.

thanks in advance

Dan

what type of set-up's have you used?
q-see is a brand that FRY'S electronics sells a lot. i think costco too
they use the connection that resembles coax cable

what should i use to capture ? where do the cameras connect on the pc? directly to a pci-card, or into some sort of large hub?
what would you suggest?
thanks

You ideally would capture onto a PCI-DVR card. You can buy 4,8 and 16 port cards/boxes. For a good quality card and bundled software to record and remote view on you are looking at a base price of around £250+ vat....

Maybe you could go down the DVR route using a standalone DVR recorder which supports plugging into your network, this would give you the ability to remote view over http from anywhere.

Hope that helps.

Sam

what type of set-up's have you used?
q-see is a brand that FRY'S electronics sells a lot. i think costco too
they use the connection that resembles coax cable

what should i use to capture ? where do the cameras connect on the pc? directly to a pci-card, or into some sort of large hub?
what would you suggest?
thanks

IP based. No capture cards needed...most new types are all IP based cameras.

A friend of mine runs a business where he setups security cameras for his clients (store fronts, small businesses, apartment complexes, professional office buildings, etc)...and monitors them all from his office.

He uses Intellinet cameras..their higher end models. Intellinet actually recommended this software to him.

Each client..he has setup on a static business grade broadband account. At each client...we'll have quality broadband routers..not your little 60 dollar home grade ones. Each camera gets setup on a static IP address, you can view them with a web browser if you want. Each camera gets put on a customized port range. On the router...port forwarding is done to each internal camera.

From his office...I have him on a beefy cable connection, with a linux router I built on a P3 1.0 with 1 gig of RAM. Heavy loads on this one..since he reaches out to many clients...with a steady stream of traffic..since he's recording all his clients 24x7.

Within the Go1984 software...you open up each clients cameras...using the WAN IP of the client...and each camera on a different port.

Linksys also has an IP camera solution...I've not used it yet..but will be implementing a setup this winter at a client.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=2804386964B08

Microsoft has a powertoy for recording from a camera and saving the file to a specific folder, maybe that can be of use to you

interesting stuff here
YeOld i am definitely liking your route..

where can i learn more about this?

Back