Using own router with Verizon Fios

XViper

Gawd
Hey guys. I've been unsucessful in doing this so I'll try to explain.

I have a seperate N router that I want to use as my router. It's currently set up as 192.168.2.1 while the Verizon router is on 192.168.1.1 . Anything hardwired to 2.1, none of the port forwarding works.

Is there an easier way to do this? Can I open all the ports from the Verizon router to allow it to be managed with my router?

Option 1: Assuming you use MoCA (coax WAN port) Turn on RFC Bridging mode on the VZ router and plug your personal router into the VZ router.

Option 2: Ask VZ to switch your WAN to the ethernet port in the ONT and then plug your router's WAN straight into this ethernet port.

I have to check for this RFC Bridging mode option on the VZ router. Someone told me to copy the MAC address of the Verizon router and set it to the same on my other router. I've never tried this before either.

I've done this several times, i'll explain what I did.

1. I've setup my router and set it up as the DHCP and gave it the ip of 192.168.1.1. You have to do this via direct connect / assign a 192.168.1.x IP to your computer and plug it directly into your new router.

2. Once that is done, log into the fios router and disable DHCP and assign it the IP address of 192.168.1.2. Once that happens, it's time for the magic to happen.

3. If you're on ethernet from the ONT, then you can plug the new router to the ONT and the fios router to your new router. This way on-demand and the channel guides will work. If you're on coaxial, you'll have to call Verizon to switch the ONT from coaxial to ethernet, takes a few minutes.

Basically your new router will handle DHCP, unless you have a dedicated DHCP box, and your fios router will stay in place to handle the tv stuff. I have this setup and all the port forwarding works and I have overall better speeds/throughout in my home and out.

Hope this helps you! If, feel free to fire away your questions.

I've done both methods described here (bridge with VZ router for coax, direct ethernet wiring). Both work to have your router as the main router and avoid the hassle of having a double NAT.

I recommend if at all possible going the straight ethernet route from the ONT port. You have to call to set this up, but I've done it twice in two different locations and it works great. I've run my own ethernet from the box, so this may be a challenge depending on your living area. For getting coaxial devices like a STB network access, you can buy off Amazon an Actiontec MoCA bridge. These work great, just convert coaxial to ethernet. One end goes to your coax devices, the other to your router. You can also use the Verizon router for this, but you have to put it into bridge mode (same process you'd do if you didn't run straight ethernet).

The other option, bridge with your Verizon router, I've always found to be a PITA. Every model of the router has a slightly different way to put it into bridge mode. Some googling usually sort this out, but it's still a PITA. Once you do get it into bridge mode, your router should take DHCP responses from Verizon. Note that you may have to have them on the phone to do a DHCP release. Otherwise, it'll take 2 hours or so for it to happen manually. One option I've been told is that you can unplug the box and disconnect the batter for ~10min to make this happen.

All of this effort is worth it... the Verizon router is garbage. No clue why they don't make this process easier.

Option 1: Assuming you use MoCA (coax WAN port) Turn on RFC Bridging mode on the VZ router and plug your personal router into the VZ router.

Option 2: Ask VZ to switch your WAN to the ethernet port in the ONT and then plug your router's WAN straight into this ethernet port.

I've had FIOS for years, and used option 2. I use a UBNT EdgeRouter Lite as my gateway which is directly connected to the ONT. I still keep the ActionTec as a MoCA bridge inside my LAN so the set-top boxes continue to work (guide info and VOD).

When I set my network up originally the early revision ActionTecs did not allow bridging WAN MOCA and LAN together so option 2 was my only choice.

All of this effort is worth it... the Verizon router is garbage. No clue why they don't make this process easier.

They do it due to integrated features of their Triple Play. Set-top boxes get guide data and VOD from the MOCA LAN connection in the ActionTec, also that gimmick where they show caller ID on the TV screen works that way too. The ActionTec also serves as an entry point for remote control of the STBs from the MyVerizon website.

Back