Using optical out on Time Warner Digital Cable boxes

tommo

Gawd
Hi,
Does anyone use the Optical out on their Time Warner digital cable boxes? Or does anyone know if it works?
I know the SPDIF out does not work, so I'm not sure if it's worth buying a optical cable just to check.

Thanks

Which box is it? Scientific Atlanta, Pace, or Motorola? And what model?

Also, it can vary by region as some cable providers will use older or custom firmware that doesn't enable certain ports and outputs.

I've used boxes the three above manufacturers and only 1 had optical out disabled (but dig coax was enabled)

If it's the SA boxes, the digital audio out's only work the digital channels. In my area channel 100 and above. They switch off for 99 and below.

I have both connected to my Yamaha reciever , on the same input, so it will auto-switch between the two, and I won't have to change an input.

Sorry, It's a motorola box, a silver one. It's the high definition tuner.
Thanks for the replies.

I have a motorola 5100 and 6208. Cable service is Comcast, and both optical and coax work fine..

valve1138 said:
must be the box then. I'd go exchange it for a new one.

The thing is, I called TWCable and they said motorola don't have the rights to use the SPDIF connector in the model of tuner we have. The representative said I should try that optical, he wasn't sure though.

Thanks again for the information everyone. Is there someone out there using Time Warner cable HD?

They don't have rights? Sounds like the tech doesn't know what the hell is up.

There is no reason why the outputs shouldn't work.

valve1138 said:
They don't have rights? Sounds like the tech doesn't know what the hell is up.

There is no reason why the outputs shouldn't work.

Update- We had a time warner technician come around to fix the tuning on the box, and he told usthat the ports are disabled on this model. There is another HD box with the SPDIF digital out enabled, but I don't know which one it is. Anyone know?

the SA 8300 HD DVR will work with all connections. HDMI ect... There is also another just HD box the pioneer that will also work. These are the only two we have in our system that all ports are enabled on. Thats how they come from the manufacture dunno why its pretty stupid if u ask me.

tommo said:
Update- We had a time warner technician come around to fix the tuning on the box, and he told usthat the ports are disabled on this model. There is another HD box with the SPDIF digital out enabled, but I don't know which one it is. Anyone know?

depends on your TW office. Mine would be the SA 2100 or 3250HD. But they don't shut off ports to begin with.

Thanks a lot for the correspondence folks. It's kind of rediculous I can't use them. Hopefully they'll sort out getting me one w/ the outputs. :)

Back