Using nSurround with GTX 1080 and Active Adapters and WoW

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
I'm sticking this here because its PC Gaming AND Hardware. I had been kicking around getting a 1080 to reduce the heat and electricity for awhile now. I water leak in my Corsair cooler forced my hand somewhat so I picked up an Asus Strix 1080.

My problem? I have 3 27" 3d monitors and no DisplayPort. So what to do? Active displayport adapters, or replace the three monitors. I opted for option 1 because I was desperate. I've hearD active adapters suck and they will eventually blow. Maybe. But as of right now I can confirm is works BEAUTIFULLY!

Mostly I play WoW because its mindless at this point and I get a kick out of it still. nSurround was kicking out 78 FPS in the Garrison and everything is Smooth once everything loads. I will try some other games too (I also fired up The Long Dark for a bit which also worked well) and let you know if there are anything that 'breaks the bank'.

There is crap out there regarding this situation for nut cases like me that bought into nSurround so I thought I would share. There's probably a few others out there like me. Haven't tried 3d yet, but I rarely use it. The 120 Hz was more important

1440 is the sweet spot, but eventually I'm guessing 4K is gonna catch up FPS wise. So why toss out 3 perfectly good monitors for a step gap? Might as well go for 4k when the monitors get cheaper and the performance is there, and who knows? Maybe VR will eventually make monitors obsolete...neverthe less...if you are like me I can confirm (so far) there's a stopgap out there so you can kick the can down the road for a bit longer...

Back