Using my own domain name with Dynamic DNS?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
I own my own domain.com. What I wanted to do is use a service like dyndns so I can rdp, stream music, etc just by entering www.mydomain.com.

Is this possible? If my ip changed though how would that work? I know the free services NOIP.com and what used to be free on dyndns you always had to use one of their custom domain names. I just want to use my own.

If your registrar doesn't offer this as a service, you could create a no-ip name and point a CNAME of your domain to it.

Your home computer that you're streaming from (or your home router) has to have something called an "update client" on it - most routers have it built in, and you can download your service's update client from them.

DynDNS offers this "domain.com" service as "Personal" (or standard DNS) at http://dyn.com/dns/ for $35/year.

You can also use your no-ip.com name (whatever.no-ip.com) as a CNAME from dynamic.yourdomain.com.
(You cannot use a CNAME at the root of your domain)

I had the same question. I've been using <myhost>.dyndns.org for years to gain access to my firewall and I'd rather use my own domain name. No-ip is the best option?

I already own the domain name. I registered it with register.com years ago but never used it. Which is the best way to go?

Edit: I'd prefer to not have it redirect to a no-ip name.

Last edited:
http://dns.he.net/, it's free. Signup and switch your domain to their name servers. Or, as others mentioned use a registrar which offers it, like Namecheap.

After a terrible experience with 1and1, I endorse NameCheap. Awesome customer support, service and lots of features, including dynamic dns.

I do exactly what you wanna do on dyndns using the update client in pfSense.

I got a Standard DNS account and set up two subdomains at my registrar. location1.mydomain.co and location2.mydoman.co. Then you just set up nameservers for those two to point to the nameservers they assign you. The standard DNS account allows 75 DNS records, so in theory you could even share it with your friends if they wanted someaddress.yourdomain.com.

I do exactly what you wanna do on dyndns using the update client in pfSense.

I got a Standard DNS account and set up two subdomains at my registrar. location1.mydomain.co and location2.mydoman.co. Then you just set up nameservers for those two to point to the nameservers they assign you. The standard DNS account allows 75 DNS records, so in theory you could even share it with your friends if they wanted someaddress.yourdomain.com.

Can each subdomain have its own update username and password?

No, that would be one limitation. So you'd have to trust your friends and use a unique user/password.

Zoneedit works with dynamic dns too and allows you to bring in your own domain.

I have a sub.mydomain.com that points to my house and another that points to another site. Namecheap offers this and it is very easy and just works.

The main problem i see is because you have a dynamic ip, you will never have a FQDN and thus all firewalls will block you everywhere.

my main problem =/

I've not had that problem. My subdomain points to a web server at my house and I have an SSL cert with no issue. However I am now on a static IP.

I've used freedns.afraid.org. for a few years. never had any issues. They have a client that can run on a pc. I use the built in updater on pfsense firewall.

Zoneedit works with dynamic dns too and allows you to bring in your own domain.

This is how I do it as well. I have my domain from namecheap, and point to the zoneedit DNS servers for my domain's DNS records. My pfsense firewall updates them when the IP changes (which is almost never).

The main problem i see is because you have a dynamic ip, you will never have a FQDN and thus all firewalls will block you everywhere.

my main problem =/

In what universe is this true? Not this one.

FQDN means fully qualified domain name. Having a dynamic IP address does not preclude you from having a FQDN.

If you are referring to reverse DNS for email, you have an FQDN even with that most of the time. Whether it matches forward DNS is another story. Most dynamic ranges are blocked by RBLs.

If you want to send email, get a static IP (most likely a business account) or get a VPS.

Back