Using motherboard outside of case

insane111

Limp Gawd
I have to use my MB outside the case for a couple weeks while I wait for a case RMA, can someone please suggest a safe surface to place my motherboard on top of?

Sorry if wrong section, wasn't sure where to ask this

Or do what I do, just take some inch long bolts the same size as the motherboard holes and tighten em down with a nut on the backside. It'll still be supported, but high enough off the surface to not worry about anything. (not that on top of the box will hurt it any as I've done that many times)

+1 for the box. Power buttons? We don't need no steenkin power buttons.

*jabs screwdriver in the general direction of the power header on the motherboard*

Another hat in the ring for cardboard

Setting it up on sheet steel around gasoline would be pretty fun too, probably wouldnt work out for your needs, though

Yeah mobo box or what I did was mobo box with ESD bag under the mobo.

Hack up an old case and pull the motherboard mounting tray, including the bracket for cards. Works well because it sits up off the ground enough for the card tabs to slide in. While you are at it pull the pw/reset button and mobo connectors. Super handy in the long run. Or just keep poking it with a screwdriver.....

Or buy a case with a removable motherboard tray.

Hack up an old case and pull the motherboard mounting tray, including the bracket for cards. Works well because it sits up off the ground enough for the card tabs to slide in. While you are at it pull the pw/reset button and mobo connectors. Super handy in the long run. Or just keep poking it with a screwdriver.....

Or buy a case with a removable motherboard tray.

Buying another case just to remedy his temporary RMA situation doesn't seem like a good investment.

Right on top of the motherboard box works pretty well.... ;)
+1
I place it on the cardboard it came in, just turn it upside down.
Never put "any kind" plastic under the motherboard. I've seen pictures of them melting to the back of the motherboard.

Buying another case just to remedy his temporary RMA situation doesn't seem like a good investment.

didnt say anything about buying another case. Dont most of us have spare cases sitting around? Just offering a suggestion.

I have always used the case like a good boy but for my next build trying to keep it different. Going to build a kind of custom test bay so the system is always in the open and visible. Hate to hide everything after spending that coin on it. But as everyone stated on the mobo box is more than fine.

Mount motherboard standoffs on a piece of aluminum or wood and go from there. You can make it look slick if you mount the aluminum on rubberized "feet", with a bracket for expansion card support.

I don't know why you guys are getting all fancy 'n shit? I'd just use whatever shirt or pants are laying on the floor closest to where it's needed to be set up.

Back