Using Microsoft Outlook on a network... requires Microsoft Exchange Server?

Praetorius

Limp Gawd
We've got Outlook on all our machines at work but can only access the main "Outlook.pst" on the server one user at a time. Not simultaneously.

There was some message about needing "Microsoft Exchange Server" in order to share the same file on a network.

Does anyone know more about this?

You can't share a PST file. They are local mail storage for a single copy of Outlook. If you want eveyrone to share calendar and other items you need an Exchange server.

Seconded, There are other ways to share a calendar: netfolders, etc. but NONE are reliable.

At the same times there are some alternatives to Exchange, as well. I'd find a local consultant and ask for advice.

Third-ed (?). This is one of those things that companys needed and MS jumped right on with exchange and no one else has really bothered, or been able to, develop an alternative. I think Mozilla is working on something like this for their calendar program but not until version 2 or something (it hasn't even hit 1.0 yet).

FYI: Novell Evolution is being ported to Windows. It has full compatibility with Exchange.

Firefox + Openoffice + Evolution > IE + MS Office + MS Outlook

shade91 said:
FYI: Novell Evolution is being ported to Windows. It has full compatibility with Exchange.

Firefox + Openoffice + Evolution > IE + MS Office + MS Outlook

This would be an awesome development, but it's still going to take time. Openoffice has a long way to come, and I don't really know what's up since they cancelled the 2.0 port for OSX or something. And Mozilla's email client (Thunderbird) definately leaves much to be desired in an Exchange world.

I've been working on getting calendar sharing without exchange working. I almost have it down using ftp, but I need outlook to call an ftp connection upon startup, which I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried using batch files, but haven't had any success. Once I manually make the ftp connection, the calendar sharing works perfectly. If I figure it out, it'll get posted, trust me.

StickyLoad said:
I've been working on getting calendar sharing without exchange working. I almost have it down using ftp, but I need outlook to call an ftp connection upon startup, which I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried using batch files, but haven't had any success. Once I manually make the ftp connection, the calendar sharing works perfectly. If I figure it out, it'll get posted, trust me.

Try using a "Network connections" folder and map that to a drive letter. But beware, there's a reason that MS will NOT support the use of netfolders...

StickyLoad said:

Seriously, as a guy who's been wanting a different solution for 6 years now, it just doesn't get any better than Exchange. Domino used to do it well, and there was another product that I liked a lot (maybe something from IBM that would addin to Outlook). But now there isn't anything. SBS server is a great product, and now it's much less expensive than previous versions. Just my thoughts.

backend "groupware" servers that I know of..
1. Microsoft Exchange Server
2. Oracle Collaboration Suite
3. Novell - SuSE SLOX
4. Novell Groupwise
5. IBM Lotus Domino
6. Open Exchange - open source slox - the Price is right!!
7. IpSwitch IMail Collaboration Suite...

I have been wondering this exact same thing. So how can I share calendars in outlook 2003 without using Exchange Server? Free would be best. Is that open source one hard to setup?

Back