Using LCD TV as a computer monitor

onetouch40

[H]ard|Gawd
Any one has a LCD TV and computer set up? How's the resolution picture quality? Would there be noticeable difference in picture quality if I connect my laptop via VGA input instead of HDMI input ? I'm considering getting the 27in Insignia TV at best buy. Thanx

Computer monitors are actually HDTVs. By that I mean they come standard with a very high resolution. A 1080p HDTV will nearly have the same as a normal or decent LCD. And LCD tv isn't HD unless it says it is. If it's normal LCD then it will have a crappy look--imagin 800*600 on a 19" monitor. It looka sub-par. Now if you get a nice HDTV of maybe 720p (prefer 1080p) then it will look good. Now on the VGA--I would suspect it's not as good, but I cannot verify that.

LCD Televisions seem to have a much larger dot pitch most of the time. I wonder if the screen door effect is problematic at typical computer viewing distances.

Im using a 32 inch westinghouse LTV-32w6 and it works flawlessly. There are no dead pixels and the image quality is crystal clear. I use it from about a 7ft distance from the screen and have no problems reading text clearly (besides my own natural bad eyesight) and games come up beautiful along with dvd and stored HD content. And this is all connected via VGA, i really don't think there could be much improvement if any by using an HDMI connection, i might just rent one from Best buy for a day though, see if it's worth getting. *gotta love hassle free return policies* I guess i'll post back tomorrow.

I am using a 32" 1366x768 lcd tv here and you do of course need to sit a bit away from it.

But if you do that it works wonderfully. I have noticed in GTR 2 for example the speed sensation got better when moving further away. I think my eyes have problem seeing what happens to the left and right when sitting to close...

onetouch40 said:
Any one has a LCD TV and computer set up? How's the resolution picture quality? Would there be noticeable difference in picture quality if I connect my laptop via VGA input instead of HDMI input ? I'm considering getting the 27in Insignia TV at best buy. Thanx

I have the Sharp 52 Inch Aquos at 1920x1080 (FULL 1080P) and its mapped dot to dot, what an amazing display. I've been playing NWN at about 20fps with the 7800GS. I love the LCD. I'm using monoprice.com cable DVI to HDMI and it recognizes the full 1080p when I start up the computer. Clarity is stellar... I will never go back! Gaming at that size is intense! P.S. I'm using it at distance of 3-5 feet max and it absolutely clear.

Back