Using google DNS - but occasionally getting TWC DNSsearch.com results

Korgun

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently mistyped a domain and received the TWC hijacked search page I hadn't seen in a long while. I had fixed this by updating my router settings to use google DNS. I figured the router may have reverted default settings somehow. I checked my router and it's set correctly to use google DNS. I then figured maybe my NIC DNS settings were compromised somehow, but checked that and it was correct too.

I did some searching and found this:
http://hackercodex.com/guide/how-to-stop-isp-dns-server-hijacking/
My router (D-Link DIR-868L) doesn't have DNSMasq and isn't compatible with the firmwares mentioned in that article. Does anyone else know how to fix this?

What is the point of DNS settings if ISP can override like this... ugh. Thanks.

Last edited:
Apparently they not only lie about DNS answers they give, they also redirect all DNS traffic to their own servers, leaving you no easy technical way to circumvent this. I have no idea why ISPs modifying traffic is legal in your country, but alas, certain less-civilized third-world countries don't seem to care about their populace.

1) The dnsmasq method is an ugly workaround since it turns _any_ answer with a certain IP address into an NXDOMAIN, so should you ever ask for a legitimate name that returns these "bogus" addresses, this won't work either.

2) The advanced method of circumvention would be to encrypt all traffic and hide it from your ISP via an offshore server that you control.

3) An even better method is switching ISP and exercising the force of the free market.

4) And finally, the best solution is to lobby for a bill that guarantees net neutrality.

If 3) and 4) are somehow problematic, this should give you an idea that something is not quite right in your country.

Re #3) I'm sadly back in a TWC area -- my other choice is Frontier DSL. Both are horrible options. There isn't really a free market choice :p I agree, though, that there are problems in this country. Damn you US!

Korgun: You can setup a cheap VPS, run a IPsec tunnel to it and just tunnel your DNS requests. Annoying but doable.

I have no problem with this is my area, using TWC and some local DNS servers. Are you using the TWC supplied router? I have mine set in bridge mode and am using my own router.

1) The dnsmasq method is an ugly workaround since it turns _any_ answer with a certain IP address into an NXDOMAIN, so should you ever ask for a legitimate name that returns these "bogus" addresses, this won't work either.

2) The advanced method of circumvention would be to encrypt all traffic and hide it from your ISP via an offshore server that you control.

3) An even better method is switching ISP and exercising the force of the free market.

4) And finally, the best solution is to lobby for a bill that guarantees net neutrality.

If 3) and 4) are somehow problematic, this should give you an idea that something is not quite right in your country.

1) Good point
2) Has other benefits too, but I imagine it comes at additional cost and speed sacrifices
3) Best option, too bad it's taken away from most US consumers. Like most, I have one option for cable and DSL options are substantially slower.
4) Hear, hear.

Korgun: You can setup a cheap VPS, run a IPsec tunnel to it and just tunnel your DNS requests. Annoying but doable.
Definitely seems annoying, hopefully there is an easier/better way...

Are you using the TWC supplied router? I have mine set in bridge mode and am using my own router.

I got rid of the TWCNYC leased modem/router and have been using my own modem. So I don't believe that is it.

Back