Using FTP to verify internet speed to ISP.

Mopower

Gawd
I work at a phone company and am trying to figure out if I am getting the speed I configure ports on a Calix C7. I have a modem connected to a port that is trained up to 19000 Kbps. I have a ftp server set up on a laptop that is connected to our ISP's router. I can get an average of 32 Mbps down and 61 Mbps up. My goal is to verify that I am getting 19 Mbps on the DSL connection. When I do a speed test to our ISP I only get about 10 Mbps on the DSL port. I am trying to figure out if there is a problem in our C7 or if the ISP's speed test is wonky. When I download a file from the FTP server it says my transfer rate is 2776 KB/s. So I assume it means kilo bytes per second. That should be 2.7 mega bytes per second correct? I multiply that by 8 to get the mega bits per second? So that is 21 mega bits /second? Am I doing the math correctly? I suspect that I am not because when I transfer the same file to my office PC it transfers at 1600 kilo bytes /second. By my maybe flawed calculation it comes out to 12.8 mega bits /second. Which can't be correct because we only have a 7 Mbps connection in the office. Can someone straighten me out!

Ok. So that test looked correct. Although I set the same port to 1152kbps and downloaded the file at 600 kilo bytes per second. So that should be 4.8 Mbps? How is that possible?

That should be plenty large then, not sure how the Calix C7 does it but the Calix/Occam B6 stuff we use will occasionally report speeds faster then the modem is sync'd at. Case in point yesterday I had a customer who was getting ~7.5mbps on a speedtest using the one from our upstream provider @ http://www.netins.net/speed.htm, however the DSL profile assigned to him was set to sync @ 6000kbps

All in all I wouldn't worry about it too much as speed testing something like this it'll be difficult to do if you're looking for extreme accuracy.

That should be plenty large then, not sure how the Calix C7 does it but the Calix/Occam B6 stuff we use will occasionally report speeds faster then the modem is sync'd at. Case in point yesterday I had a customer who was getting ~7.5mbps on a speedtest using the one from our upstream provider @ http://www.netins.net/speed.htm, however the DSL profile assigned to him was set to sync @ 6000kbps

All in all I wouldn't worry about it too much as speed testing something like this it'll be difficult to do if you're looking for extreme accuracy.

The problem I'm having is finding the reason why there is such a difference between what modem is synced up at and what the netins speed test says. For instance I did a speed test at 6:30pm tonight directly at the netins router and got 35Mbps down. Which is inline with what the MRTG graph on our connection showed. We have a max 50Mb connection to INS. So I should be able to get the speed test to show that at the test modem. But after multiple speed tests the highest speed is 7Mbps down. I know there is a 20 % overhead with the DSL but I should bet getting 15Mbps with 35Mbps available from the router. If I immediately do an FTP transfer to the same test connection I get 2700Kbps or 21Mbps. Which is around what I should be getting. Which leads me to believe that there is a problem upstream at INS or a problem with their speedtest site. I'm going to call INS tomorrow and see if they have an FTP server I can transfer a file from. That will hopefully tell me something.

Last edited:
The problem I'm having is finding the reason why there is such a difference between what modem is synced up at and what the netins speed test says. For instance I did a speed test at 6:30pm tonight directly at the netins router and got 35Mbps down. Which is inline with what the MRTG graph on our connection showed. We have a max 50Mb connection to INS. So I should be able to get the speed test to show that at the test modem. But after multiple speed tests the highest speed is 7Mbps down. I know there is a 20 % overhead with the DSL but I should bet getting 15Mbps with 35Mbps available from the router. If I immediately do an FTP transfer to the same test connection I get 2700Kbps or 21Mbps. Which is around what I should be getting. Which leads me to believe that there is a problem upstream at INS or a problem with their speedtest site. I'm going to call INS tomorrow and see if they have an FTP server I can transfer a file from. That will hopefully tell me something.

Wow, little weird finding another INS member here.

Back to question though. An online speedtest won't give you accurate results due to all the QoS and traffic shaping that goes on once the data leaves your network. Just now from my home connection I'm only able to hit ~10mbits/s down even though I'm able to fire up a NNTP download and max the connection out at 20mbits/s. Even from one of our CO's I don't think I've ever had their speedtest go above 60mbits/s and we're on a 200mbits/s ethernet circuit that generally doesn't go above 50-60% usage during peak hours.

About as good as you can do is to use a tool like iperf and test between a machine connected to the DSL modem and a machine connected to your core/edge router.

Wow, little weird finding another INS member here.

Back to question though. An online speedtest won't give you accurate results due to all the QoS and traffic shaping that goes on once the data leaves your network. Just now from my home connection I'm only able to hit ~10mbits/s down even though I'm able to fire up a NNTP download and max the connection out at 20mbits/s. Even from one of our CO's I don't think I've ever had their speedtest go above 60mbits/s and we're on a 200mbits/s ethernet circuit that generally doesn't go above 50-60% usage during peak hours.

About as good as you can do is to use a tool like iperf and test between a machine connected to the DSL modem and a machine connected to your core/edge router.

Yeah I guess it's a small world after all!

I figured as much on the speed test. I'm just learning all this stuff and want to make sure our network is running as clean as possible. I sometimes have trouble streaming HD video even though there is sufficient bandwidth. Maybe I am over estimating what a 20 Mb connection can do with all the other internet congestion to account for.

Back