Using Dynamat Xtreme to quiet down my CM HAF 922 case worth it?

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
I picked up 2 packs of Dynamat Xtreme (were on special few weeks ago). I bought it mainly to use it to mod RX900 cans (got AD700 instead, so I don’t need them now).
I wonder if I cut them in some pieces and stick them to the interior walls of my case, would that help some vibrations caused by case/psu fan(s) and spinning hdds?

Perhaps this exercise is pointless and I should just return them to BB… LOL

From my understanding it won't make a huge difference in the noise level of your case, only a few Db lower at most. But you'll notice a difference in the random clicks, whizzes and buzzes that a computer makes. They'll be a lot more subdued.

thanks guys... I might just try it... what I'm looking for is to minimize "weird" case noises/vibrations...

It might help with weird resonances. Also remember that this type of product is only needed on the middle ~25% of the panel, and any more isn't beneficial. :)

It might help a little, but it will be nowhere close to what you would get by soft-mounting the fans and the hard drives.

And that case has huge fans all around = less area to apply the dynamat = less benefit.

Dynamat is meant for car audio to stop vibrations and resonance by adding a lot more mass to trim panels and sheet metal. Its not for sound proofing really. It does have some sound proofing properties simply from its density but there is better and cheaper material out there for that.

Dynamat is meant for car audio to stop vibrations and resonance by adding a lot more mass to trim panels and sheet metal. Its not for sound proofing really. It does have some sound proofing properties simply from its density but there is better and cheaper material out there for that.

Fucking this. Like 45c stick on tiles and aluminum tape. Works for cars really nice as well.

Thanks for your responses... hmm... looks like it might be a waste of $15 after all.... Even though I control the fan speeds I get that occasional resonance noise, that is driving me nuts.... I was hoping dynamat will help....:( :confused:

It might help a little, but it will be nowhere close to what you would get by soft-mounting the fans and the hard drives.
And that case has huge fans all around = less area to apply the dynamat = less benefit.

Sorry for asking but how do I soft-mount the fans?

What kind of material is cheaper and better?

Fucking this. Like 45c stick on tiles and aluminum tape. Works for cars really nice as well.

Question on the side, how are you running your XFX 6950 @925Mhz? water? I have the same card and I'm barely running it stable unlocked sharders at 850Mhz @ stock voltages...

TIA

Mass Loaded Vinyl or Closed Cell Foam will stop sound waves more effectively.

where did you guys silicone fan mounts? fleabuy? If someone knows a good/cheap place plz PM me.... thanks ;)

where did you guys silicone fan mounts? fleabuy? If someone knows a good/cheap place plz PM me.... thanks ;)

newegg carry's some. But there kinda spendy at like 3 bucks a set if I remember right.

Edit: Worse 6 bucks a set
here

Or if you are doing multiples get this

Edit2: I would probably get this before either of the above.. They will probably be slightly lower quality, but that yould give you plenty of extras

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
thanks, I like the fleabuy option... :) hmmm... they don't ship to Canada :(

Do you think they will work with the fans in HAF 922 case...

I considered using dynamat on the interior panels of my Lian Li A05Nb. The aluminum is quite thin, and dynamat would considerably raise the mass of the panels. Eventually I settled on AcoustiPak. It comes in two and three layer designes. One layer is a dense, heavy dyanamat-esque affair, while the second is actual sound attenuating foam. You can get a two sheet, 2 layer pack for around 24$, while one sheet of the three layer is 20$. It works well. Keep the dynamat though, there is lots of use for it for other things.

thanks, I like the fleabuy option... :) hmmm... they don't ship to Canada :(

Do you think they will work with the fans in HAF 922 case...
I looked at pics of the HAF 922 fans before recommending the silicone mounts, so yes they will work.

Having tried a few silicone mounts in the past, including the famous blue EAR mounts, I recommend you stick with the fan mounts from Acousti Products if possible. They are much softer and elastic than any other out there, and do a better job of eliminating vibrations.

I'm in Europe, so saying where I bought them from wouldn't be of much help to you.

While putting new soundcard and HDD I've deciced to put 3.5 sheets of Dynamat (10" x 10" per sheet) throught my case... Overall I find it eliminated most (if not all) resonance annoying noise. I might order some silicone fan screws and suspend all my HDDs drives in the future...

Thank you :p

Back