Using Displayport to HDMI cable to use monitor as TV

Theultimateeye

Limp Gawd
So the ROG Swift monitor i bought doesn't have an HDMI ouput, only a Displayport 1.2. I'm wondering if i buy a Displayport to HDMI cable adapter if i'd run into any issues as far as picture quality, etc. Any input appreciated before i pull the plug and buy one of these cables. Thanks! -Jeff

P.S. I also forgot to mention there are two types of cables you can buy, the regular 1080p cable adapter or 4k cable adapter. Didn't know if that'd make a difference either.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...pebp=1437663360330&perid=0KYYVFWAJZR3FSD5QYBM

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think you have a problem here. To use a monitor with only displayport, you need a video source that supports DisplayPort, not a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. You would need an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter, which I'm fairly certain do not exist.

The real issue at work here is the ROG Swift (like all other Gsync monitors except the 24" BenQ one) do not have a scaler, at all. You won't be able to use any type of adapter or converter because the monitor will not know what to do with other resolutions and such. These monitors are designed specifically to work with Nvidia GPUs which handle all the scaling work.

This is why I'm looking forward to the new Gsync 2.0 monitors such as the Acer Z35, apparently the new Gsync board will allow for a traditional input like HDMI while still keeping the DP for Gsync/144hz purposes. (BenQ got around this with their own design on the 24" monitor, wish more had done the same)

The real issue at work here is the ROG Swift (like all other Gsync monitors except the 24" BenQ one) do not have a scaler, at all. You won't be able to use any type of adapter or converter because the monitor will not know what to do with other resolutions and such.

This is why I'm looking forward to the new Gsync 2.0 monitors such as the Acer Z35, apparently the new Gsync board will allow for a traditional input like HDMI while still keeping the DP for Gsync/144hz purposes. (BenQ got around this with their own design on the 24" monitor, wish more had done the same)

What "other resolutions"? Can't you just use the correct resolution?

I suppose if connected to a PC and it's set to 2560x1440 @ 60hz it *MIGHT* work, but I have heard of no one having success doing so, even with the very expensive $120+ active adapters (which are essentially standalone scalers).

Honestly at that point it's just ridiculous using a ROG Swift in that scenario. You just eliminated the two best parts about it, 144hz and Gsync.

I suppose if connected to a PC and it's set to 2560x1440 @ 60hz it *MIGHT* work, but I have heard of no one having success doing so, even with the very expensive $120+ active adapters (which are essentially standalone scalers).

Honestly at that point it's just ridiculous using a ROG Swift in that scenario. You just eliminated the two best parts about it, 144hz and Gsync.

Buying an active converter box is pretty much as expensive as buying a cheap tv.

Trying to get around the DP only connection on a G-Sync monitor simply isn't worth it. I have the Acer XB270HU and for using HDMI devices such as my Wii U, I simply use another display entirely. Just get yourself another monitor/TV and call it a day you'll save a lot of headache.

Back