using digital out..onboard vs. sound card

Leb_CRX

Gawd
I am a big audio newb, so please bare with me...I've been doing some reading lately and confused about a few things, so here goes....

using digital out..since it's a digital signal, is there a benefit to using a sound card as opposed to the onboard card (lower THD, whatever else)? my understanding is that the digital signal is not modified in anyway and both will provide the exact same output...then it's up to the receiver to do with as they please...is that correct?

I ask because I am looking at upgrading my pc audio, and figure the sound card would be a good place to start, but I am using optical out, so if there's no point...I won't bother

my plan to ditch my z5500's and do:
pc->receiver (using old HT receiver)->headphones + speakers
w/ digital out

==

or am I totally better off getting a good sound card, analog out to an amp, and then speakers+headphones?

Assuming you are outputting bitperfect it won't make a difference (short of jitter, which is outside of the scope of this conversation because you typically need well into the $10,000+ range to start noticing things like jitter). If you are gaming a real soundcard might help take a little load off the cpu, but it's probably a non-issue there as well.

Upgrade something else.

A good sound card using analogue is definitely your best bet.
The Auzentech Prelude has been designed with the audiophile in mind as it uses top quality DAC and pre-amp stages.
It is also one of the only cards to send 5.1 EAX gaming surround sound via digital (if your amplifier has good enough DAC/pre-amps).

I started using the Prelude with an 8 year old Sony AV amp.
It sounds gorgeous on analogue but digital was abrasive to the ears in comparison.
Now I'm using a high class Onkyo AV amp which also uses audiophile grade DAC/Pre-amps and I cant tell the difference between analogue and digital quality any more, both are awesome.

Best of all worlds, full hardware EAX 5.0 support, gorgeous analogue sound and full 5.1 game sound via digital.
If you want the best, get a Prelude.

Nenu and Fry...thanks for the post

Nenu, you've confirmed my thoughts, as the more I read, the more I am learning towards the prelude and have it be the DAC/pre-amp, and use my receiver as the amp

wonderful!

My XtremeGamer Fatality Pro died a few weeks ago. I've been using my P5 mobo's digital out into my XR57 receiver (which has a very good DAC). I think the audio quality is better than it ever sounded with the XtremeGamer.

Back