Using Crossfire 5870/recording FRAPS worse than single 5870

FocalFury

n00b
Hey everyone I'm having a very odd issue and would like to get some input.
First off specs
i7 920
2x Radeon HD5870 running in crossfire
12GB RAM
1TB WD Black (7200)
2x1.5TB WD Green (7200) in a Windows Software Raid0.....lol I don't have my motherboard cables for proper hardware raid and this is fine for what im doing now until I get the cables.

So I've been dabbling and wanting to get more into recording gameplays/lets play's/commentaries of video games and hosting them on youtube. For this I'm using FRAPS (3.29 build 12344)

Recordings have been running alright (not great) at around 30-40 max FPS...I'd always love more but what ya gonna do.

Here is my problem that I found out was going on....
If I turn crossfire off my recording FPS actually goes up around 5-10FPS

Now I understand the idea of FRAPS isn't exactly graphics card centered, but more writing the data file to the HDD. This is why I have a 2x1.5TB Raid0 setup. My games are all on the 1TB Black and I write to a seperate drive to alleviate a bit of stress of reading a game and writing a large file to the same HDD.

Really though, why would my graphics card being in crossfire have me seeing drops up to 10FPS while recording FRAPS???

I ran multiple tests
BF3 Caspian Border Conquest at the gas station behind the flaming big rig
Crossfire record: 34-37
No Crossfire record: 42-45
40FPS is really ideal for me recording because that puts the game at a more playable rate for me on the computer certainly than 30ish.
Now when I'm running crossfire no record well the difference is huge I'm pulling amazing FPS, but recording is a different story.

I ran a test in Minecraft as well....I know its not exactly graphically intense lol, but it was the same 10 FPS difference.

Can anyone shed some light as to why this would occur?
I'm really stumped.

Thanks for your help and I'll provide other details if need be.

D A N

Back