Using AWE on Server x64 2008 Enterprise Edition

Platano

[H]ard|Gawd
As of now my employer is using 8GB of ram and currently it is all in use, would enabling AWE help any to improve performance of the server?

Specs:
Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz
1GBx 8 FB-Dimms
Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64
SQL Server 2008 10.0.1600.22

Any tips on how to improve performance or will adding more RAM help in this regard.

AWE not necessary with 64bit OS. Looks like more RAM for you brother. Is SQL maxing you out?

Thanks. I figured as much. SQL is maxing out at the moment as we are a distribution similair to iTunes and Amazon in terms of providing music for people. I kept urging them to get more ram from the get go but my words went unnoticed. We'll be ordering more ram very soon :). Thanks again.

Are you sure you need more memory ? SQL will reserve as much memory as you allow it to and release it should the system need it. So don't just go by what task manager tells you is available physical memory.

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2008/03/25/lock-pages-in-memory-do-you-really-need-it.aspx

I'm pretty sure it is as we have MANY (1000+ during the morning, 4000-8000 during midday, and 12000 during the afternoon) connections going on at once. The reason they put me and my coworker to look at it is because it has been very slow as of late especially during the day when it is getting hammered from several companies pulling content, plus the maintenance work along with parsing and tagging. I will look over the link you gave me and see how it may be able to help me.

have you profiled your sql?
More often than not you will find one or 2 strings that are bogging it and you can rewrite them or optimize the DB.

Back