Using an Intel PWLA8490MT in 32-bit PCI slot

4x4not

Gawd
I just picked up a dual-port Intel Pro/1000 MT PWLA8490MT PCI-X network card for a good price with plans to use use it in my WHS box. I was curious... is anyone else using this card (or something similar) in a standard 32-bit PCI slot. The card is native PCI-X but will auto-negotiate with the lower speed ports. Will I be crippling this card? I really only have use for one port at this time, but may have a use for both ports in the future.

Network gurus: Was I a dumbass? Insite? :D

800px-Dualportintelmtpro1000mtserveradapterspc.jpg

As long as there aren't any other PCI cards installed that take up too much bandwidth, you should be ok. Gigabit eats up to 125MB/s and the PCI bus overall is 133MB/s, so you should be good if it's by itself. If you do however use both ports in gigabit, you will be severely bottlenecked.

Also make sure there are no obstructions like capacitors and heat sinks and you'll be fine. I use one in my desktop, but I leave a port disabled since I only need one.

I think I should be OK size wise, but I'll know when I receive it. No other PCI devices at the moment either.

I use one (well a PWLA8492MT, but close enough) in my pfSense box on an Atom motherboard. Works great, but as mentioned, you're not going to get full performance from both interfaces simultaneously.

If performance matters it's probably worth switching to 1 PCIe and 1 PCI NIC if you need two interfaces and don't want to pay for a dual port PCIe card.

Finally got this thing (damn overseas shipping!). It juuuuust fits

8xmqso.jpg

BTW, the reason I didn't get the PCIe version is that my SATA card is using that slot right now. Once I upgrade to an 8 port PCIe x4 card I'll remove that one and possibly change out this PCI-X with a PCIe if I find I need the bandwidth.

Back