Using Airport Express to extend network from Airport Extreme

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
Has anyone does this before? I am sure once I have access to it, the setup should be easy, but I figured I would just some directions first. According to Apple, the Airport Express can "wirelessly extend the range of a WDS network that is being hosted by an AirPort Extreme Base Station or another AirPort Express."

That is exactly what I am looking to do. A potential customer has an Airport Extreme setup in his basement. He also has 2 Airport Expresses, but I am not sure where they are located or if they are setup properly. The house is over 6,000 sqare feet when you include the basement.

So the question is, how do I set up the Airport Express devices to work wireless to extend the range? Do I just plug them in, connect to a Mac and run the setup utility?

Is connecting the AP's with ethernet an option? Honestly no experience setting that up.. I've only setup a time capsule.

Don't know yet. Another company wired the house for home theater equipment, but I haven't been there yet to see if there are any LAN cables I can use.

All you need to do is plug them in and go into the airport utility, select the appropriate AP you want to act as an extender, and choose to extend the network. Took me about 10 minutes to set it up in my place.

I tried to do this with my friends network using the apple airport extenders. They're pretty cool but I could not get it to work. I look up and it has something to do with the way that apple autheticates back to the router or wireless network which wasn't supported on the linksys WRT54G that he had.

But since you got the airport extreme setup is really simple. Just use the CD and it will let you detect the airport extender and setup as a wireless extender.

How well do they work as extenders?

I don't have as large a place as you do, so your mileage may vary, but in the 2000 square foot house we were in last year there was total saturation using a time capsule in one corner of the house and an express in the middle of the second floor. In our 1250 ft condo, we have 100% bars on all the macs, anywhere in the place.

Worked perfectly for me.

Just plug the Airport Express in, and setup it up. There should be an option to extend a Airport Extreme network.

Back