Using a torrent client stops all other connections

Im having a problem that i cant seem to resolve here.

When using uTorrent to download torrents my other connections and that of my family are cut off. Netflix wont work on the TV, my web browser on the computer wont work, Ipad phones etc wont load anything.

Ive been troubleshooting it somewhat and removed utorrent and reinstalled it.. same problem.... i uninstalled rebooted and installed the Bit Torrent client figuring it might be a conflict with uTorrent, same problem. This just started happening recently, within the past 5 days, and there isnt anything i can figure out that was installed or downloaded in that time that could be causing this. I've run spybot and scanned with avast... nothing found. Its getting annoying. Im thinking about just trying a system restore from about 2 weeks ago but i want to know if anyone knows WTF is causing this, or if anyone else has had any problem associated with it.

What kind of shitty router do you have? And how many concurrent connections have you set the torrent client to allow? That would be my first guess, the torrent client is using all the available connections your router can manage.

What kind of shitty router do you have? And how many concurrent connections have you set the torrent client to allow? That would be my first guess, the torrent client is using all the available connections your router can manage.
While I won't insult your router immediately, I would agree with going into the settings of torrent software and try setting the number of simultaneous connections much lower, and see if the problem still persists.

Try with just one connection and see if you can get a downloading going and not lose internet connectivity.

Does your internet connection limit the number of active connections? When I was on DSL they had a 5000 flow limit if I recall, which torrents can easily hit, especially because it takes a while for old ones to clear. I would set a limit to how many connections the client can use and also the bandwidth. I like leaving torrents go overnight.

Also limit your upload bandwidth to a max of 75% your rated upload speed from the ISP to give you plenty of upload space to actually transmit upload packets asking for data to download.

Also limit your upload bandwidth to a max of 75% your rated upload speed from the ISP to give you plenty of upload space to actually transmit upload packets asking for data to download.

I think you meant 5% of your upload speed while downloading and 75% while seeding

I think you meant 5% of your upload speed while downloading and 75% while seeding

From my experiences, the best limit is around 25% to compensate for inconsistent connections from ISP's and other factors. You could use a lower percent, but I notice 20-25% is the sweet spot for noticing almost no interference with any other Internet related task including FPS gaming. :p

Yeah when I had DSL I'd try to keep about 25% or so of my upload free.

I'd pretty much seed until the point I want to move the file/do a cleanup, since I had it set on such a low priority that it was slow, but steady. Heck half the time I'd forget I even had torrents going as I have a dedicated VM for it.

Now that I have fibre it's hard to even sustain downloads because they just finish too fast. #firstworldproblem. :D

No its nothing affecting the maximum connections. That information hasnt been changed in the settings. When i installed Bit Torrent over uTorrent to try to fix this issue, i specifically setup the connection speeds to limit upload speed to 5kb/s and a max number of uloaders to 5. I have top tier internet service via TWC... i have never had any problem even though ive limited by uploads. Something changed, whether its TWC throttling or some type of an error

Gonna screw with a system restore now that everyone isnt using the connection and see what happens..

does everything go back to normal after you finish using the torrent client?

Have you tried using Vuze? I would limit the bandwidth across the board and see if that helps. Also, if you haven't reboot your router in a while, it could be something cached there as well.

Yea no luck.. did a system restore, well 2, had some missing files first time so changed the restore point... but nope... its weird.. if i visit a website and my web browser is open, i can open up utorrent and continue surfing ON THOSE SITES ONLY.... if i close utorrent, i can surf anywhere... its fucking mind boggling...ive limited all sorts of shit so that its pointless for me to share anything... your upload speed is shite...

The router question is interesting... i may mess with it since we had a problem with the connection about a week or so ago and i did reset it.. may have to go switch the settings some... see what happens...

I had a problem with my mobo overheating once.. checked all cables.. fan everything.. about 2 months later when i got the warning and my system was shutting down, i accidentally stepped on my keyboard extension cable... and it stopped... come to find out i had a short in the extension cable....lol.. so this is one of those types of things i guess.. will figure it out... eventually....

What router do you have? It remains a top suspect from everything you've said here, in my opinion.

Yup, I would say router but it would also be good to know what your current plan is and which ISP you are currently use.

For example from personal experience I at first was using the Verizon supplied FIOS router/modem it was crap.. The NAT table was so small I couldn't even play an online video game and watch a youtube video without overloading the NAT table. Now it is a Moca bridge and I have my own router in place. No more problems :)

Sounds like DNS requests are either not going out....or making it back.

Before doing anything.....
Unplug and restart your modem, there could be a recent sync issue that placed your modem is a flaky connection mode.
Second restart your router, this could all be a Upnp issue.

I'd use utorrent and change the following.

Lower your concurrent connection limit to 500.
Lower your max download bandwidth to 50% of your pipe size.
Lower your upload bandwith limit to 50% of your pipe size.

If that doesn't work, UNINSTALL your AV/firewall app. and retest.

If that all doesn't work......

I'd download and test using a live linux DVD that contains a torrent client.

If that works your OS is screwed up. If that doesn't work you have either a cable, router, modem or ISP connection issue. (something that has nothing to do with the software on the PC)

Last edited:
UPDATE:

The problem ive been experiencing was finally resolved.

It was fairly simple, took about 20 mins on the phone with TWC.

Apparently someone in my household decided due to the shitty signal strength they would reset the TWC router, thus setting it back to factory settings, which in turn broke the bridge setup to my asus acu router. After it was bridged back via TWC via a simple phone call, its fixed.

Sometimes being a DIYer means you should just call em up and bitch. lol Ty for the ideas though.

I just use PFsense to set the traffic shaper to ~95% of my available bandwidth and I effectively seed using my full upload 24/7 with no noticeable effect on my ping. It also doesn't affect my ping when I have the download pegged either.

Sometimes being a DIYer means you should just call em up and bitch. lol Ty for the ideas though.

Glad you fixed it, but how was double-NAT not one of the very first things you checked? Especially since everyone in this thread was pointing at the router?

Oh i checked the router first thing... nothing...didnt even consider it was on their end interfering with its operation....router was good.. just not bridged... which never crossed my mind...

Back