Using a SSD for my WHS 2011 OS drive?

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been wanting to upgrade my WHS 2011 OS drive to a SSD. This past weekend I had an issue with the OS drive that is currently installed. I use the Lights Out add in to turn the server off over night for a few hours. On Friday evening the server went to sleep but wouldn't wake up the next morning. I did a bit of testing and the HD DPS test came back with a code of 7. I was luckily able to keep the drive going long enough to clone it to a temporary drive to keep the server running for now. But I figured that this would be a good time to look into the SSD upgrade that I've been wanting to do.

So, I just figured that I'd check here first to make sure there aren't any issues running the WHS server on a SSD??

It works just fine. I've been doing it for a year or so now.

Ok, that's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure there weren't any issues because WHS is a bit of an older OS and / or using Lights Out with the server to shut it down over night.

SSD install here we come!!!

I have ran my WHS2011 with an SSD for more than 2 years, and no issues to report.

Just wanted to post a quick update here. I picked up a Samsung mz7td128hafv-000 SSD a few weeks ago and finally got around to cloning my WHS OS drive over to it this past weekend. There were a few issues along the way, but I've been running WHS 2011 on a SSD since Sunday!!!

I first tried using the Samsung Magician software to upgrade the SSD firmware and then the Samsung cloning software to clone the drives, but the software wouldn't recognize the drive as a Samsung drive. Apparently, after a bit of searching, this mz7td128hafv-000 SSD is a OEM SSD out of a laptop and the Samsung software is intended for use with aftermarket Samsung drives. So I rolled with the current firmware. I did also have a few issues attempting to clone the drive. I ended up booting into Ubuntu and using DD copy to clone everything over to the new SSD. It was the first time I had used Ubuntu / DD to clone a drive, and worked like a charm. I had no issues. The drives were even different sizes.

It took a bit of work, but everything worked out good in the end!!!

Back