Using a Seasonic GM-650 PCIe cable on a ASUS THOR 850W Platinum (Seasonic made)

LucasG

Gawd
So I have used all the PCIe cables provided by the ASUS THOR 850W Platinum which I understand is also made by Seasonic. I also have an extra PCIE cable from the modular PSU that is PCIE, I couldn't find the wiring on the manuals for any online. Is this not recommended? Would it fry my stuff? Should I get a splitter? It's for a riser card.

I wouldn't try to mix the cables from different powersupplies. Either get in touch with ASUS to get an additional cable made for the PS, or go to a site like cablemod.com and see if they have some they make for your ps.

NOOOOO. Don't do this. Even within the manufacturer things change. Toasted 2 SSDs this way. :p Cablemod will know - even if they say it's the same cable, it might ~not~ be. Unknown PSU cables now go in the trash.

Only way to say for sure is to check what voltage comes out of each pin on the power supply, and then figure out which pin at the end of the cable it would go to, and then compare that the proper pinout.

Ok, definitely not using it then. I already put it back into its PSU box, it's from my secondary computer.

Another question, is using a PCIe splitter a bad idea? I am thinking on using 2 to power 1x3080, 2x3060 and 1x PCIe x1 to x16 riser card.

I killed an SSD and a video card by using cables from 2 different branded PSU's. I even checked the pin-outs to be sure they were identical. However the pop noise from the PSU and the plumes of smoke said otherwise :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, don't mix them.

Depends on how much power you’re pulling and the rails. I don’t know that power supply enough to say

man i am a cheap bastard, i mix and match cables ALL THE TIME.
occasionally if i am not lazy, i actually check them with my volt meter and make sure they are pinned correctly, otherwise i just plug in a junk DVD-rom drive from the scrap pile and see if it works.
if it does not then i just pull the pins on the PSU side of the cable and pin it so that it does work, I've done this hundreds of times.

one of my friends just killed 2 DVD-rom drives and an SSD before he bothered to figure out WTF he was doing though, to each there own i guess...

man i am a cheap bastard, i mix and match cables ALL THE TIME.
occasionally if i am not lazy, i actually check them with my volt meter and make sure they are pinned correctly, otherwise i just plug in a junk DVD-rom drive from the scrap pile and see if it works.
if it does not then i just pull the pins on the PSU side of the cable and pin it so that it does work, I've done this hundreds of times.

one of my friends just killed 2 DVD-rom drives and an SSD before he bothered to figure out WTF he was doing though, to each there own i guess...
You have a PCIe powered DVD-ROM?

You have a PCIe powered DVD-ROM?
nope, just referring to any modular PSU connection. But the PCIe connectors are super easy to check with a volt meter, unlike the SATA power connectors which is where the 'just plug in a parts bin DVD-rom' test applies.

either way, repin the PSU side of the cable, done.

Yeah, fuck that. No one has cables right now probably due to the huge mining business. I'm going to check with a volt meter see if they are placed the same and use it.

I've re-pinned cables before. Corsair and Seasonic cables are 100% NOT COMPATIBLE (causes a dead short triggering PSU short protection and immediate shutdown). So I de-pinned the PSU side of the connectors using 2 staples, and plugged them in as needed. Cables work great now on my Seasonic PSU.
One thing to be careful is with molex/sata power cables, as they have both 5v and 12v. If you feed 12v to a 5v input on the device, smoke will ensue. That was a $1200 mistake a made once when I fried a HDD and had to get the data recovered. It hurt, a lot, cause my ass was was broke just out of college at the time, but the drive contained ALL of my data. Before you go lecturing me about the importance of back up - I fried the drive in the process of upgrading my backup rig, so had all my data on a single drive for a few days for migration. Fried it when I mis-wired power and connected to the new rig to backup the data.

EDIT: You don't even need a multimeter to check the cables. Most PSU's use flat cables these days, just follow the wire from the connector end to the psu end and see if the same wires go to the same places.

I tested it with a multimeter and the Seasonic GM-650 had the same pinout than the ASUS Thor 850W Platinum. The ASUS is also made by Seasonic and I was reading they have standarized their cables in most of their PSUs. I put it to work with the 3070 and it's working fine. There are no PCIe cables anywhere... CableMods is out of everything.

Theres places that will custom build them for you but they cost almost as much as an entire set of CableMod RT-Series ModFlex Classic Cable Kit for ASUS and Seasonic at Amazon for $70. They usually have a long ass lead times as well.

Theres places that will custom build them for you but they cost almost as much as an entire set of CableMod RT-Series ModFlex Classic Cable Kit for ASUS and Seasonic at Amazon for $70. They usually have a long ass lead times as well.

Sounds like I should pick up another side job.

Back