Using a PCIE port with a heavy graphics card..... without a latchlock?

Roflcopter_Down

[H]ard|Gawd
My mobo didnt come with one latch lock. I have a card in the second slot but I want to use the other slot for mining.
Got any advice or redneck latch lock diy ideas?

i hate those and break them off of most my mainboards. is the video card screwed into the case at the back? good, done.
if you are really worried, grab a GPU support brace off amazon or ebay for 9.99. theres an RGB support brace for 35$ too.

Should be fine unless you're being weird and dancing around with your computer at night or something. I do prefer GPUs that have a supporting plate that also screws to the case.

Just ziptie the corners of the card to somerthing in your case. , Just maake sure the anchor points you choose are facing away / above the card (keep the connector in tension).

do like oems and hot glue it in

No shit on that!

My dell Optiplex 7040 sff system has an M.2 slot, but because it would have added 10 cents tro every motherboard, they didn't provide a cage on it!

The installation instructions call for hot glue (and I suppose amazing aim lining-up this thing on the unkeyed slot?) Needless to say, I returned the planned m.2 upgrade and went sata ssd

Last edited:
i saw one with a kickstand thing but "support plate" no...
cooler3[1].jpg

that black plate that sits between the PCB and Heatsink is often screwed into the IO bracket and thus is supported by the case. Should offer some support against sagging as well as detaching from the PCI-e slot. I've restricted myself to GPUs with these since I started noticing them. Having just the PCB holding the whole weight of the card seemed ridiculous.

Last edited:
View attachment 350616
that black plate that sits between the PCB and Heatsink is often screwed into the IO bracket and thus is supported by the case. Should offer some support against sagging as well as detaching from the PCI-e slot. I've restricted myself to GPUs with these since I started noticing them. Having just the PCB holding the whole weight of the card seemed ridiculous.
oooh... thats called a mid-plate.

The issue is not the PCI Express socket, the issue is slot the graphics card bracket (IO Plate) fits in to. If you look at the back of your motherboard tray, when you have your graphics card installed, there is a little wiggle room in that slot, to remedy this, use a case screw and screw it into that slot, this will tighten up the graphics card and it will no longer sag.

Been doing it for years, but Jayztwocents came out with a video explaining it.

Problem solved.

Last edited:
The issue is not the PCI Express socket, the issue is slot the graphics card bracket (IO Plate) fits in to. If you look at the back of your motherboard tray, when you have your graphics card installed, there is a little wiggle room in that slot, to remedy this, use a case screw and screw it into that slot, this will tighten up the graphics card and it will no longer sag.

Been doing it for years, but Jayztwocents came out with a video explaining it.

Problem solved.

might end up with loose metal in your case from threading the screw in the slot.

The slot locks are there mainly to prevent GPUs in prebuilts from wiggling out during shipping. Unless the PC is subject to lots of vibration or is moved around a lot, the slot lock won't ever be missed.

I'm with Zedicus. I rip the locks out fairly often without any trouble. Some of them are just impossible to access once you have cards installed, given the size of modern cards.

The risk of a screw driver slipping when trying to unclip them seems much greater than the cards coming loose. Your case would need to have a ton of flex for the standard PCI screws to not be sufficient.

Don't Intel OEM heatsinks just clip into the mainboard? leaving it entirely up to the MB manufacturer or the user to buy a heatsink that includes a backplate, if they care too.

the only time GPU sag actually matters, is if the card flexes enough to cause a gap between the cooler. This use to be kind of common but now the heatsinks seem to have enough screws in them to keep them together. my buddy has a non backplate rx470 with a LOT of sag, i mentioned maybe grabbing a brace or tweaking the pci bracket... his response... "why? it works fine."

Back