Using a Cisco VoIP phone at home

mikey71497

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, what equipment would I need, besides the obvious phone, to run a VoIP phone at home? Right now I have Comcast Internet and voice but would like to Use A VoIP phone at my computer desk

Thanks

You would most likely need some sort of server to run the phone. That or a VPN to a phone server at your work.

You could consider soothing like OpenPBX if you need to set it up for home use.
Not that bad to set up from what I have heard.

I was under the impression that you could buy a linksys Voip adapter, connect it to the phone jack and LAN switch. Then, connect the IP phone to a POE port on my ASA5505. I really dont want to get into building any type of pbx server or paying for 3rd party VOIP provider. I was hoping to just use my existing Comcast internet to run the phone.

That may work, as far as I can tell those adapters are to allow analog devices to act as ip devices.
I could be wrong. I don't have any experience with these devices.
On a side note those are very good prices for analog to ip.

Comcast Cable---->Cisco ASA5505---->GigSwitch/LAN

Was hoping to connect Linksys PAP2T ethernet port into the ASA switchport, static a local LAN IP to the linksys device. Then, connect the VOIP phone to the ASA5505 port 7 or 8, which is a POE interface, and the phone should pick up an IP and GW info. Pick up the phone and enjoy! If someone could tell me wheter or not this would work, that would be great.

Thanks

Hi guys, what equipment would I need, besides the obvious phone, to run a VoIP phone at home? Right now I have Comcast Internet and voice but would like to Use A VoIP phone at my computer desk

Thanks

You would need a sip server OR a sip server account from a provider. What Cisco phone ? AND why Cisco ?

I have a sip server at a friends house WAY far from me, and 3 other phones, a yealink & a sip app on my iphone.

It doesn't have to be Cisco. Yealink would be fine as well. I just created a SIP account with getonsip.com....now that I have the acct, can I just but the IP phone, setup the credentials within the phone and this should work??

It doesn't have to be Cisco. Yealink would be fine as well. I just created a SIP account with getonsip.com....now that I have the acct, can I just but the IP phone, setup the credentials within the phone and this should work??

yes, just plugs into your network. You can get a poe injector for 9$ on ebay or use the power adapter that comes with your phone.

I have this one,

DSCN0034.JPG

Mike-Trike, got me addicted to yealink, they are AWESOME phones.

Thanks for the help on this. I have one more question. Phone number. Would the SIP phone ring when my home phone number is dialed? If not, then how do I know what number my SIP phone is to use?

I am running 3CX phone system which was painless to setup, and runs on windows.

Conntected that to a voip.ms trunk which gives me 3500 minutes and a DID for 4.95 per month.

Cisco phones with the SIP load connect to it.

Be careful which cisco phone you get, the pre standard POE ones won't work unless your POE switch supports Cisco pre-standard POE.

Many of the older Nortel POE switches support the older "inline power" protocol that Cisco used. I had a Baystack 450T-POE that ran 24 7960's fine.

Thanks for the help on this. I have one more question. Phone number. Would the SIP phone ring when my home phone number is dialed? If not, then how do I know what number my SIP phone is to use?

You'd buy a DID phone # from your provider is associated with your account.

Many of the older Nortel POE switches support the older "inline power" protocol that Cisco used. I had a Baystack 450T-POE that ran 24 7960's fine.

You'd buy a DID phone # from your provider is associated with your account.

and he can have his sip forwarded to his home or vice versa!

Not to threadjack, but I was recently looking into an option such as this.

As far as getting a phone number goes, are there any options that don't require monthly payments, and just charge you for the minutes you use? I can' see myself using it a whole lot, but it'd definitely be nice to have around (and fun to play with). If not, what are some cheap providers (in Canada)?

Not to threadjack, but I was recently looking into an option such as this.

As far as getting a phone number goes, are there any options that don't require monthly payments, and just charge you for the minutes you use? I can' see myself using it a whole lot, but it'd definitely be nice to have around (and fun to play with). If not, what are some cheap providers (in Canada)?

http://carriers.icall.com/

Almost no monthly cost, just $0.99 per DID per month and it drains from your deposit. So load up $100 and let it go for a dozen years if you don't use it much. :)

I think you can load as little as $10 bucks at a time.

yealinks are fantastic... running T26s in all the offices and T22s in all the non-desk locations at my job...

i went through a lot of phones to find the right ones...

at home i use an Aastra 6755i, the aastra's are nice too... but yealinks are great and cheap...

we should put together a xml app repository :D

of the cisco phones the best was the 504G... but w/ asterisk it seems like the yealinks are pretty much perfect... price/performance...

yealinks are fantastic... running T26s in all the offices and T22s in all the non-desk locations at my job...

i went through a lot of phones to find the right ones...

at home i use an Aastra 6755i, the aastra's are nice too... but yealinks are great and cheap...

we should put together a xml app repository :D

of the cisco phones the best was the 504G... but w/ asterisk it seems like the yealinks are pretty much perfect... price/performance...

Our server has 5-10 phones some iphone sip app's some desk lines and a few linksys pap devices.

Server runs on a atom pro 2 gigs ram and a 1 analogue line in and one sip provider account.

The server is setup for all local to go out the analogue and out of town goes out the sip account. We use Freepbx, no issues at all so far.. Seerver backs up at night every night too..

Was kinda hoping to use this phone with my existing number. House phone rings, SIP phone rings etc....didn't want to have to get a seperate number for this phone.

I don't need it, but why not use it? I suppose I could use Asterisk or some other IP PBX, but why not use the platform my customers are using?

Also, I highly doubt any of us NEED high-end Cisco phones and gear in our houses but we have it because it's a hobby and passion and something to learn.

Was kinda hoping to use this phone with my existing number. House phone rings, SIP phone rings etc....didn't want to have to get a seperate number for this phone.

Not going to work unless you build a sip server and buy the fxo card..

Well, You got 2 Options.

1) Call Comcast and ask them to create a hunt group between your Line and the SIP DID. A "hunt group" is a term for a dialing concept in which all lines in the group ring until 1 entension answers.
2) Port your # to Your SIP provider and just do VOIP in the House.

Well, You got 2 Options.

1) Call Comcast and ask them to create a hunt group between your Line and the SIP DID. A "hunt group" is a term for a dialing concept in which all lines in the group ring until 1 entension answers.
2) Port your # to Your SIP provider and just do VOIP in the House.

Or get a router with an FXO port...

Absolutley another option, but how many routers with an FXO port are priced within the range of a home user? :)

It sucks here in SK, the only numbers for VOIP that I can get are for Saskatoon and Regina which are both long distance. Be glad you bastards live in areas where you can get local DIDs.

It sucks here in SK, the only numbers for VOIP that I can get are for Saskatoon and Regina which are both long distance. Be glad you bastards live in areas where you can get local DIDs.

Vancouver is the nearest local did for me :( stupid 604

If the phone is running SIP, then it has smarts in it, and just needs to register with registrar (provider).

The cisco phones like to use skinny, which requires call manager to tell the phone what to do.
You can get smartnet on the phone to install SIP firmware to get out of that.

I thought the linksys ATA ran sip too.

I have a siemens gigaset cordless sip phone. Havent signed up with anyone yet.

You can get accounts where you pay for minutes you use, but its dial out only. eg, long distance use.
If you want a phone number for outsiders to call you, you need to pay for DID (direct inward dial). This costs provider money hence they pass on cost to you.

The yealink seem popular, being cheaper than the SPA linksys/cisco rebranding.

If the phone is running SIP, then it has smarts in it, and just needs to register with registrar (provider).

The cisco phones like to use skinny, which requires call manager to tell the phone what to do.
You can get smartnet on the phone to install SIP firmware to get out of that.

I thought the linksys ATA ran sip too.

I have a siemens gigaset cordless sip phone. Havent signed up with anyone yet.

You can get accounts where you pay for minutes you use, but its dial out only. eg, long distance use.
If you want a phone number for outsiders to call you, you need to pay for DID (direct inward dial). This costs provider money hence they pass on cost to you.

The yealink seem popular, being cheaper than the SPA linksys/cisco rebranding.

If he really wants this to work, the cheapest would to build a PBX server in the house and buy a FXO card like I did, I also have sip account for outgoing long distance calls. If I make a local call it goes out the FXO card, if I make a ld call it automatically grabs the sip account and uses that.

THE best part about this, is when I go to Vegas next week I can use my phone via wifi, just launch the app then use it as a phone.

When you build your own PBS server you have so much control etc etc voice mail to email = wicked.

fxo card 99$ computer used free.

Shuttle unit & Card.

Nanaimo-20110401-00044.jpg

If he really wants this to work, the cheapest would to build a PBX server in the house and buy a FXO card like I did, I also have sip account for outgoing long distance calls. If I make a local call it goes out the FXO card, if I make a ld call it automatically grabs the sip account and uses that.

THE best part about this, is when I go to Vegas next week I can use my phone via wifi, just launch the app then use it as a phone.

When you build your own PBS server you have so much control etc etc voice mail to email = wicked.

fxo card 99$ computer used free.

Shuttle unit & Card.

This +1, build a PBX you will be happy so many options.

I use asterisk in a vm with a 7960. Don't use it much, it's more for my nagios system to call my cell phone when there is an unacknowledged problem, but it does look fancy on my desk.

Also the Cisco spa3102

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124239&Tpk=spa 3102

Works great with asterisk... you could PROBABLY be able to config it all without a PBX.... but its a perfect opportunity to play around w/ a freebie like the freepbx distro...

Edit: It might work without a PBX.

As I mention before I don't think this will work, unless that LAN port can be used for a IP Phone.

As I understand this device its just to convert analog devices to work on a network with a PBX.

Again I could be wrong I only have experience with Avaya products.

I really feel like you need a PBX, but honestly for the price I would pick one up and see.

If it works I would consider getting one, just to mess around with.

Last edited:
Back