Using a 6 year old lcd, how far behind am I?

Gabe3

2[H]4U
I've been using a viewsonic vg2230wm for the past 6 years. I believe it came out in 06. What have I been missing for image quality? Has anyone upgraded from a monitor like mine to say a Asus VG236H or Samsung S23A700D? My budget is around $300 but only want upgrade if its really worth it. my current monitor hasn't had a issue or a dead pixel. My budget wouldn't allow for a 120hz monitor past 1080p and even if it did, video card requirements for running high res go way up. I'll be using the monitor for mostly gaming.

Your GTX570 will be great at 1080p. Ive had a similar 23.6" ASUS display for almost two years and have had no issues with it.

Well, i didn't have a viewsonic - I've upgraded from a Samsung 226CW (i think it was released somewhere around '08) to a ZR2440W (pretty much the same as u2412m) and I can only say that it's a huge difference - a lot better black levels, contrast, overall picture quality, viewing angles (on my old one I could easily see different shades of color on the top part, middle part and bottom part of the picture).
Tech moves quickly, and 6 years is a large gap.

My Dell 3007WFP is about the same age, and there's nothing really better right now.

The Samsung SA850 is looking pretty spectacular. It's 2560x1440 and uses a PLS panel. I've been thinking of grabbing a set of them to try out. A little out of your range though OP. ;)

my dell 2407 is about 6-7 years old as well, still going strong, don't see a reason to upgrade

I'm in love with my 120hz panel. If you use your computer mostly for gaming... it's seriously worth looking into.

If you're satisifed keep it. Only real thing I think you're missing is energy efficiency.

I'm using three 2407wfp. The one in the middle I had since 06 and the other two I purchased used.

As far as image quality I have no complaints. Now the black levels aren't the greatest but I use it for gaming and web browsing so its not a big deal.

Only real reason I would like to upgrade is to get monitors that generate less heat and use less energy. But as far as image quality I'm satisfied with my monitors.

If you're satisifed keep it. Only real thing I think you're missing is energy efficiency.

I'm using three 2407wfp. The one in the middle I had since 06 and the other two I purchased used.

As far as image quality I have no complaints. Now the black levels aren't the greatest but I use it for gaming and web browsing so its not a big deal.

Only real reason I would like to upgrade is to get monitors that generate less heat and use less energy. But as far as image quality I'm satisfied with my monitors.

That's you. I moved from a Samsung 205BW that was great when it was 2006. I spent $300 and got one of the 27" Korean IPS panels and it's a whole different world. You may be happy with what you have, but that's because you don't know what you're missing.

Seriously, OP, get one of the Korean IPS monitors. You'll never look back. The pixel density, screen real estate, and color are jaw dropping.

My Dell 3007WFP is about the same age, and there's nothing really better right now.

I had a 3007WFP until I recently upgraded to a 3011... All I can say is the color gamut is soo much better!

For example a game I used to play SWTOR had a dark black loading screen which looked 'blotchy' is the best way to describe it on the 3007, was actually had a previously unseen dark green on black pattern image on the 3011!

Dark bits in movies 'that looked blotchy' now don't!

Add to that no more 'fog' from the anti-glare coating!

Add to that more then a single DVi input!

So to go back to your statement - there's nothing really better right now... there is! and if you were holding back for an excuse to upgrade... Do it! Do it now!

I loved my 3007! I love my 3011 sooo much more! (and the GF loves her 'new' 3007! *hehe* shhh!!!*)

/edit
p.s. ignore my system spec it's well out of date

It's amazing how old technology outlast new ones isn't it. Old school CRT tvs would last 15-20 years. Good luck finding a LCD tv that will last that long. Same goes for monitors. The old ones just was better IMO.

It's amazing how old technology outlast new ones isn't it. Old school CRT tvs would last 15-20 years. Good luck finding a LCD tv that will last that long. Same goes for monitors. The old ones just was better IMO.

Back when I was a kid we used rocks for everything. Rocks last forever. Look around you, I bet there's tons of rock that have been around since the beginning of the earth. Good luck finding anything that will last as long as a rock.

That's why i see no reason to update my 1999 era 19" gateway.

Most CRT's don't last pass 10 year or so. The image gets pretty bad after while, and loses sharpness. Though LCD had harder time last pass 5-8 years. I had couple old IBM and dell 21 CRT's that is 6-7 years. Were getting pretty bad at the last leg. Eventually switched to LCD. Pretty sure i will need to get new monitor before they turn 5-7 years old.

That's you. I moved from a Samsung 205BW that was great when it was 2006. I spent $300 and got one of the 27" Korean IPS panels and it's a whole different world. You may be happy with what you have, but that's because you don't know what you're missing.

Seriously, OP, get one of the Korean IPS monitors. You'll never look back. The pixel density, screen real estate, and color are jaw dropping.

is this some korean brand your talking about or all monitors made in korea ?

Not all monitors made in korea. Look at this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393

it's over a hundred pages, and there is a similar thread at overclockers.net. If you need a 100hz plus monitor, 120hz.net is the place to go, thought supplies are limited.

Here's a good comparison and wrap up of the basics, but I think the prices are out of date:

http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/1...omparison-of-the-different-brands-and-models/

Last I saw, the shimian was going for about $280 shipped from korea. Most people get their's within 3-4 days. It's the same panel as the Apple 27" cinema display, manufactured by LG, the other hardware i different and the fastest and cheapest of them have only one dual link DVI input.

It's worth your time to research these. Seriously.

I went from dual 22 inch gateway lcds to dual samsung 21.5 led screens when the caps on one of the gateways went. I didn't want the downtime of pulling the thing apart to verify what caps I needed then order them, wait for them to come in, and install them.

Big thing I noticed was how much brighter the led screens are. I had to really turn down the brightness on them. Looking at the two side by side(picked up one screen and put it by the old gateway that was working before going and getting a second) I saw a pretty big difference in colors. I will say for standard use though the old screens are fine(using one on my mac in the other room).

Not all monitors made in korea. Look at this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393

it's over a hundred pages, and there is a similar thread at overclockers.net. If you need a 100hz plus monitor, 120hz.net is the place to go, thought supplies are limited.

Here's a good comparison and wrap up of the basics, but I think the prices are out of date:

http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/1...omparison-of-the-different-brands-and-models/

Last I saw, the shimian was going for about $280 shipped from korea. Most people get their's within 3-4 days. It's the same panel as the Apple 27" cinema display, manufactured by LG, the other hardware i different and the fastest and cheapest of them have only one dual link DVI input.

It's worth your time to research these. Seriously.

do any of the koreans have hdmi? and a 24" instead of 27" so I can save some money?

how do the korean ones compare to the Samsung S23A700D or Acer GD235HZbid?

do any of the koreans have hdmi? and a 24" instead of 27" so I can save some money?

how do the korean ones compare to the Samsung S23A700D or Acer GD235HZbid?

You can get the Korean monitors with multiple inputs, but it is more expensive. HDMI can carry as much or almost as much signal as Dual link DVI, but it's not guaranteed, hence the preference for dual link DVI in manufacturing these for enthusiasts.

You can get a 24", but if you're going to get a 24", just buy whatever. The benefit of the korean monitors is a huge display with high pixel density, fast response times, and great color accuracy at a bargain basement price. The 27" models specifically are so cheap because the panels are mass produced for Apple and they are A- panels for one reason or another.

Go through the thread. If you have other considerations, want a 3-d capable monitor, want a 120hz monitor, or need something smaller, then you'll have to evaluate those desires as part of the equation. The thing is, you're not going to find a monitor of this size, with this quality of a panel for anywhere near this price anywhere else, but there are tradeoffs.

You can get the Korean monitors with multiple inputs, but it is more expensive. HDMI can carry as much or almost as much signal as Dual link DVI, but it's not guaranteed, hence the preference for dual link DVI in manufacturing these for enthusiasts.

You can get a 24", but if you're going to get a 24", just buy whatever. The benefit of the korean monitors is a huge display with high pixel density, fast response times, and great color accuracy at a bargain basement price. The 27" models specifically are so cheap because the panels are mass produced for Apple and they are A- panels for one reason or another.

Go through the thread. If you have other considerations, want a 3-d capable monitor, want a 120hz monitor, or need something smaller, then you'll have to evaluate those desires as part of the equation. The thing is, you're not going to find a monitor of this size, with this quality of a panel for anywhere near this price anywhere else, but there are tradeoffs.

hmm, I'm leaning toward a 24" 120hz, two reasons. 120hz for gaming, and vid card requirements for running 2560x1440 go way up.

hmm, I'm leaning toward a 24" 120hz, two reasons. 120hz for gaming, and vid card requirements for running 2560x1440 go way up.

Your 570 should be able to run the 27", or a 24" at 120hz. I wish I could have gotten an overclockable version of the 27", but my budget just didn't allow for it. What I have now is a hell of a lot better than my old one so I'm happy. You being happy in the end is what matters in you purchases!

i'm using 10 year old viewsonic vp930 tfts
overall still the best (and i've owned 20+ different tfts)
only the 5:4 ratio sucks

so... you're fine
technology hasn't really progressed

Your 570 should be able to run the 27", or a 24" at 120hz. I wish I could have gotten an overclockable version of the 27", but my budget just didn't allow for it. What I have now is a hell of a lot better than my old one so I'm happy. You being happy in the end is what matters in you purchases!

I know it can run it on the desktop, but for example if I got the 27" and wanted to run its native res I'd have to get a better card or a second 570 to run bf3. or drop the res to 1080p or lower ingame settings.

i'm using 10 year old viewsonic vp930 tfts
overall still the best (and i've owned 20+ different tfts)
only the 5:4 ratio sucks

so... you're fine
technology hasn't really progressed

I had that monitor back in the day, was ok I guess other than the big X backlight bleed on every model. RMA'ed it and got a Samsung 215tw, much better monitor. Since then monitors have progressed much the MVA panel on that viewsonic has poor viewing angles compared to modern IPS, VA, and PLS panels.

Back