Using 2 routers to create isolated internet connection

Bill O

n00b
I have a "guest" company moving into a room in my building. The room is on the far side of the building from where my ISP connection is. Pulling a wire would be extremely difficult. I have one network port in that room and it goes to a secure room.
My existing lan is configured 192.168.1.x. I am planning to put a router on my ISP modem and assign it a public ip and set its lan to 192.168.20.x. On a second router I will connect the port from the room to a lan port on the router with that routers lan set to 192.168.30.x. Then configure the second routers wan as 192.168.20.X.

I believe this setup would allow the guest traffic for internet but would prevent them from accessing my 192.168.1.x lan.

Is there a better way to isolate the guest without running new cable?

Oh god yeah but you need to share what you are working with .. brands models ... etc....

I have not purchased the routers yet. I was thinking any inexpensive units will do. They will just have to cross two unmanaged switches.

You could do a double NAT, not ideal and kind of dirty but it will work.

Internet -> Router1 -> Router2

Router2 being your own network, router1 being the public one. Of course you want to ensure you use different IP ranges for each router.

Idealy though vlans are the way to go. you would have a private SSID and public SSID under their own respective vlans.

Plug 2 routers into the ISP router.
One router will be your network, the 2nd router will be the subtenant's network.

But I think you are talking about something different. You want to put a router in the secure room that is inside your network. This is a double nat, which works, but can easily cause issues with going to https websites, etc. Also, that lan would be able to see your lan, but not the other way around. So it would make the guest lan, more secure and your's less.

Back