Uses for an old system?? Asus Z77 / 2600k

I upgraded my main system this year. I have my old primary system sitting idle. Its a 2600k with 16gb ram on an Asus Maximus V Extreme, Corsair 900D (HUYGE!) and a 1080TI FTW3. Really good system for its time but it is legit 7-8 years old. Only thing is that I don't mine, I already have an NAS and home automation server and I'm not really into benchmarking. I ready about LN2 cooling and whatnot and it sounds interesting but I think its a thing I'd do once then be bored with.

Any ideas for something useful I could use it for? All I've been able to come up with is to keep the GPU as a backup and donate the system. Any thoughts?

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I mean if nothing else, you could sell/donate the parts like you said. I figured it would be a nice NAS, but you already have one of those.

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
A couple suggestions:

Backup Computer. It's always nice to have a backup system ready to go, potentially setup with a KVM to use your same monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and able to switch back and forth with the press of a button. I have a backup system on a KVM and I like to switch to it when I do work on my main computer so that I can take my time. I also play online games where we play on certain nights at certain times. It's nice to know that if I show up to play and my computer has an issue, I can just switch to the backup and not miss the game.

File Server. Sell the 1080 and just use the integrated video in the 2600k. Set it up as a dedicated file-server with all of your spinning-disk drives. Higher-end Intel motherboards from this era usually came with at least 6 SATA ports, usually most or all of them from a nice Intel SATA controller. They usually also have many PCIe slots including 2 or even 3 16x (physical) slots. You can use those to add a dual or quad-port gigabit adapter to take advantage of multi-path SMB, add a SATA raid card, or a SAS card to buy some cheap used SAS drives, etc. It's nice to be able to have a large amount of storage without having tons of drives in your main computer. It's nice to be able to turn off my main computer while keeping the file-server on, so I can always access the media from the TV. You said that you already have a NAS but an actual file server is just so much more flexible. Like for example, I run my bittorrent client directly on my file server, and because of that I have some files that have been seeding 24/7 for over a decade. Makes it easier to maintain your ratio on private trackers, that's for sure. I don't know how many NAS devices support multi-path SMB either, meaning you are stuck with gigabit speeds or forced to buy expensive 10GbE / 2.5GbE equipment.

applegrcoug

Limp Gawd
Emby/plex/jellyfin media server.

RIP your DVDs and house them there. The 1080ti can re-encode them on the fly for different bandwidths...like for a computer on a mobile connection, etc. Heck, I use a 1050ti and it can do like four streams at once.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Emby/plex/jellyfin media server.

RIP your DVDs and house them there. The 1080ti can re-encode them on the fly for different bandwidths...like for a computer on a mobile connection, etc. Heck, I use a 1050ti and it can do like four streams at once.

Depending on the NAS he has, it might already do that for him. My Synology does on the fly transcoding using quicksync.