Users Don’t Want iOS to Merge with MacOS, Apple Chief Says

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to Tim Cook, Apple has no plans to bring iOS and MacOS together because he doesn’t think that is what users want. Rumors would suggest that the company is working on a project that merges macOS and iOS apps, however.

"We don't believe in sort of watering down one for the other. Both [The Mac and iPad] are incredible. One of the reasons that both of them are incredible is because we pushed them to do what they do well. And if you begin to merge the two ... you begin to make tradeoffs and compromises.

Since when did Apple care what users want. Within 5 years all their products will be running iOS and their own custon designed chips. Typical Apple users don't care about performance. Hence why the Mac Pro still hasn't been updated.

Phone OS on a Desktop .... Windows 8 - 8.1

Tablet OS on a Desktop .... Windows 10

Desktop OS on a Desktop .... Win7 and prior

Or you can slap Linux or BSD on the Desktop and make it look however you want with whatever GUI you want, to be as usable as you want.

My personal opinion is that computing was at it's easiest during the WinXP to Win7 days. Before and after were and are clusterfucks. Although I had a ton of fun with DOS and windows 3.11.

All that will happen to MACs and iphones is the exact same thing that has happened to Microsoft and there phones. Unless of course apple/mac addicts can't see past their limitations and spending the most money for the least amount of product.

I think we're well past the point of merging the two. There's no reason to merge MacOS with iOS because there are almost no redeeming features to MacOS versus iOS. I honestly think iOS is a better operating system and offers more customization and flexibility than the legacy OS does. There are a few more things that need to be rounded out and iOS will likely just take over everything, as it should.

Last edited:
Well he’s not wrong. Maybe they’re for once actually looking at what Microsoft is doing and see how overly wrong they got it with 8/10 and the blending of desktop and mobile.

For some stuff, a common code base would be pretty easy. Both platforms use the same code (Swift, Objective-C, and maybe some c/c++ for some programs). The UI interfaces can be quite different. There are also obvious differences that will never be the same on a computer vs mobile device: memory, CPU power, storage space, and screen real estate.

I personally don't see it happening. macOS is a mature platform - the last several years have been more tweaks as opposed to large feature adds.

I believe in the distant future mobile devices and non-mobile will be the same on the software side. It's not a matter of if but when. We are chained in our Psyche currently and that places limitations. Perhaps in a generation or two.

Well he’s not wrong. Maybe they’re for once actually looking at what Microsoft is doing and see how overly wrong they got it with 8/10 and the blending of desktop and mobile.
Well Apple is not MS. Apple has a cult like following. All they got to do is advertise it being something magical and they will sale.

user point of view, they personally won't care (if we are talking end-users), but honestly merging the two in the perspective of development; I bet would be a different story. Though Microsoft is currently having it's up and downs at the moment merging the two (or more) if they do reach the point that things are finally going smoothly, I won't be surprised if Apple follows suit.

they will probably just spin down OSX and move to expanded iOS for their A10 laptops... Highly doubt they will merge.

Windows 10 wouldn't be so bad if there was a distinction between desktop mode, phone mode, tablet mode. When you start to blend them all into tiles and nonsense is where it gets out of hand.

I believe in the distant future mobile devices and non-mobile will be the same on the software side. It's not a matter of if but when. We are chained in our Psyche currently and that places limitations. Perhaps in a generation or two.

Maybe under the hood, but the overall user experience requires different things between desktop/laptop and tablet/mobile applications. In essence I agree with Apple for now, I want a desktop experience on my desktop and a mobile experience on my mobile device, and I am still bitter about Win10. I get it from a business perspective because it's a lot easier to streamline things when you have one basic product line, but I think it's pretty clear from some of the market failures that there isn't a one size fits all solution.

Sometimes you need more than one thing to get the best experience, and I'm ok with that.

Sometimes you need more than one thing to get the best experience, and I'm ok with that.

aye.. and the perfect example is.. the internet.

how many websites have 2 versions? the main standard version, and a mobile one?? and why, because the design layout needs are vastly different.

but yeah.. lets have the OS itself be the exact same across all devices..

:rolleyes:

Back