User opens+modifies+saves+closes document, parent folder locked/"in use", no sessions

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
User opens a document \\region-fs1.company.local\share\Public\Engineering\Part-8513\document.doc, makes some modifications, saves and completely closes the file.

User attempts to cut and paste folder Part-8513 to a folder on Desktop but receives a message saying the the folder or files are in use/currently open/locked, offering the options Try Again or Cancel.

I login to region-fs1.company.local Windows 2012 file server, go to Computer Management, and check Open Sessions under Shares filtering for the full path. I discover that there are ZERO open files or sessions to either the parent folder Part-8513 or files contained inside this directory.

User is able to move/rename/delete all files inside parent folder, but not the parent folder itself (which triggers that in use message with the Try Again and Cancel buttons to pop-up).

User tells me that this only happens when they open a document that they are unable to move or rename the parent folder after closing the document, and that this doesn't "reset" until a day later. If they don't open any document, they can freely move folders around. User has many folders he needs to open and verify documents before moving or renaming the parent folder.

Ideas? User is using a Windows 7 Professional workstation. File server runs Windows Server 2012 Standard.

I ran into something close to this, a user would try to move folders after moving 2 or 3 she wouldn't be able to cause the files were in use, but no one was using them. I was able to fix this by checking always show icons, never thumbnails, in folder options. she never had the problem afterwards.
what I found out is this, when you click copy the thumbnail cache or thumbs.db file is created. once the always show icons, never thumbnails was checked it stopped using the thumbs.db file to cache the file. thus fixing my issue. please try that and see if that fixes your issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_thumbnail_cache
the link gives a pretty good explanation, under Centralized thumbnail cache

Back