User experience with Google cardboard types, including McDonald's?

griff30

Supreme [H]ardness
I was looking to pick up some cheap "cardboard" VR for the kids and myself to see if it's interesting.

just wanted to see if it's worth the $20 for these types for casual play. I couldnt see buying the expensive sets for 2-3 games that are not all that great.
Looks like even McDonald's is getting into VR.

Your McDonald's Happy Meal Box Is Now A Virtual Reality Headset

You can get the chinese ones on amazon for about $10 that are just as good. It's a fun experience for someone new to VR but nowhere near great. It's hard to get in focus and leads to motion sickness pretty quickly due to it.

I was looking to pick up some cheap "cardboard" VR for the kids and myself to see if it's interesting.

just wanted to see if it's worth the $20 for these types for casual play. I couldnt see buying the expensive sets for 2-3 games that are not all that great.
Looks like even McDonald's is getting into VR.

Your McDonald's Happy Meal Box Is Now A Virtual Reality Headset

I got these:
Amazon.com: Homido Mini, Mini Virtual Reality Glasses for Smartphone: Electronics

They are not your typical cardboard box viewer, but a clip on. I like them very much.
Cardboard is a bit of a novelty, but worth playing with.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got this one Amazon.com: EightOnes VR Kit - The Complete Google Cardboard Kit with Head-strap, NFC, 365-day Warranty and Video Instructions (Jet Black): Electronics
It works real well with my LG G3. By real well I mean there are no issues with the headset itself. Google Cardboard is just a gimmick as far as any game or anything goes. The best part is the ability to watch head tracking videos, by which I am of course referring to youtube. If there are other websites that offer some sort of VR video experience, I know nothing about those.

I assume using a standard phone would have a 60hz limit? How do you find that, along with wifi latency, affects gaming?
I use my iphone6 and no clue what the hz is... On my 2.4ghz wifi I really need to turn down the graphics on the streaming software, When i hook up to my 5ghz I can play on ultra with 0 lag. I was playing a FPS just fine

Interesting, it works even on 2.4ghz? Going to have to try this with my Nexus 5 and cardboard solution.

Might invest in 5ghz wifi and better solution if that works.

I use my iphone6 and no clue what the hz is... On my 2.4ghz wifi I really need to turn down the graphics on the streaming software, When i hook up to my 5ghz I can play on ultra with 0 lag. I was playing a FPS just fine
You stream pc games to your phone with this? What app allows you to do this wizardry?

Reactions: Dan
like this
Intugame VR. is the one im happy with. The other big player is KinoVR but I have constant issues with it.

Back