used WD Gold or new WD easystore/mybook/etc.

tantalus

Limp Gawd
I need some more storage for photo backups, disk images, etc. This is personal stuff and not really mission critical for anything. I have an NVME for boot, Windows, etc. and an SSD for games.

Still, I like to find the best bang for my buck.

I've found a number of used WD Gold 6TB internal drives on Ebay for around $100. That's roughly the price of a new 6tb WD consumer external drive. (I don't really care if it's internal or external.) Seems to me the Gold might be a better buy. The Gold drives are from late 2017, which is 25k hours powered on if they've been powered on 24/7. They're rated for 2.5 million hours. So they should last significantly longer than the new WD consumer drives. Although they have 5 year warranties, I'm guessing WD wouldn't honor it, so that's the main thing holding me back.

I know I can get 14TB for 190 on sale, and that's cheaper per TB. But I don't need that much space for the foreseeable future.

What would you buy?

Last edited:
gold disks are enterprise HDDs and do require active cooling usually (they are expected to be inside a NAS or rack mount server as they have airflow) but apart from that they should be good (you need to see smart see if any relocated sectors or pending has happened)

and a backup should be 2 of them locally (and ideally offside like cloud backup)

gold disks are enterprise HDDs and do require active cooling usually (they are expected to be inside a NAS or rack mount server as they have airflow) but apart from that they should be good (you need to see smart see if any relocated sectors or pending has happened)

and a backup should be 2 of them locally (and ideally offside like cloud backup)

They would be in my ATX desktop case with several fans. Would this be sufficient cooling?

They would be in my ATX desktop case with several fans. Would this be sufficient cooling?
amount of fans don't really matter as long as there is airflow over the disk it be fine (like the case fan at the front blowing directly over it), the gold disks are enterprise so expect active cooling

Last edited:
Back