Used video card - What am I looking for? (Editing versus gaming)

RPKYGK

Weaksauce
I am looking to spend about $400-450 on a used card to finally upgrade from a 1050ti I was forced to buy just to get a card during the initial BTC mining craziness.

I play games very sporadically, I would say a few times a year. What I mostly do is editing photos and video's. I use mainly Premiere Pro, Photoshop, InPixio Photo Focus, and recently have started experimenting with Topaz Giga Video and Photo AI, and Dain-App.

I currently have 16Gb of Ram and a Ryzen 5 3500. I am planning on upgrading at least the Ram if not the whole combo in the next few months

Giga Video and Dain are massive obstacles right now, but I never see any benchmarks on them to see what would help. Dain uses the video card memory and right now I'm very limited as it really struggles with one 4GB of ram on the 1500. Giga Video is the biggest place I would like improvment. I just did my parents ripped from DVD wedding video which was 54 mins long, and to get it up to HD took my combo 5 and a half days to do.

My thoughts were because I don't game, maybe trying to find a used Quadro card but looking at benches of common apps it seems most modern gaming cards do just fine against them at a lower price.

So should I be looking at a RTX2070 8G, a 1080 TI 11G or a Quadro? Something else? It has to be Nvidia because DAIN requires CUDA.

Thanks!
Ryan

Yes. I would stick with Nvidia and basically just buy the fastest you can buy. However, to that note, I’d wait for 3000 series to drop to either get a faster option for the same price or the current options for a lower price.

To answer some of the other stuff: yeah just skip Quadro.
Get 32GB of RAM if you can.
Definitely get higher video memory options if possible. 8GB should be your floor, but getting more should give you gains.

I wonder if the Radeon VII would be an option because of the 16gb of ram.

I would not buy a quadro. Radeon is not an option due to the CUDA requirement.

I would just buy as much card as you can afford in the current range.

Also think about getting some more memory.

btw you should at least double your ram and get a fast M2 ssd. Both can dramatically decrease your encoding/rendering times

I do run off a pretty decent M.2 right now but I am in the process of trying to max out my board. I misspoke, I have a Ryzen 5 1600, and the highest this board can support is a Ryzen 7 2700 so I may do that as well since they are so cheap used.

Do any of the ray tracing things of the newer RTX line appeal to me? A used 2070 and 1080ti are essentially the same price but the 1080 has alot more memory on board.

What is the timeline for the 3000 series to be released? I'm in no hurry as the PC is only used for editing and normally I just remote desktop into it from my laptop, set it off on a task and it doesn't impact me other than the wait. If a new card is coming maybe I will wait a few months.

I would not buy a quadro. Radeon is not an option due to the CUDA requirement.

I would just buy as much card as you can afford in the current range.

Also think about getting some more memory.
aaah yes, forgot about CUDA. Wasn't CUDA made open source a whioe ago?

I do run off a pretty decent M.2 right now but I am in the process of trying to max out my board. I misspoke, I have a Ryzen 5 1600, and the highest this board can support is a Ryzen 7 2700 so I may do that as well since they are so cheap used.

Do any of the ray tracing things of the newer RTX line appeal to me? A used 2070 and 1080ti are essentially the same price but the 1080 has alot more memory on board.
How do you misspeak on what CPU you have as it wasn't a typo but a completely different CPU? Just curious.

How do you misspeak on what CPU you have as it wasn't a typo but a completely different CPU? Just curious.
I am not "hard". I built the thing 2 years ago and totally blanked on what CPU was in there. I knew it was a Ryzen 5 but guessed on the model. I've read so many articles of the past 2 years that all the models have jumbled in my head. I rarely use that PC, if you needed to know what's inside my Plex server, that I could tell you as I am in there all the time.

LOL yea, right ... will be the same price :LOL:
So you believe the 3060 will be the same price as the 2060 and also perform the same? Your statement makes no sense. You also cut my quote midsentence.
This is definitely a reading comprehension issue.

Back