[USED] Ultimate File Server - 24 Bay SuperMicro Opteron Servers w/24 Port RAID $299+

only issue i have with this is the fact that its 12 bux to ship screws and some 22ga wire...
ill make it work one way or another. its not a rush build . but thanks for the links

I just messaged them asking about this. I would love a chassis only so i can transfer my other server to this case and have two matching ones. thanks for the idea!

The first chassis worked so well with the silent mods that i cant wait to get another one! these backplanes and sleds are cats ass!

Keep in mind you will need the following:
Case Breakout Cable for power switch/hdd led/net/etc. (Supermicro CBL-0068L 11.81 inch 16pin Front Panel Split Cable) http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-CBL068L
Drive screws for sleds (Supermicro MCP-410-00005-0N Screw Bag (100PCS)) http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-MCP45ON

only issue i have with this is the fact that its 12 bux to ship screws and some 22ga wire...
ill make it work one way or another. its not a rush build . but thanks for the links

I have a ton of these. PM your addy and I'll drop them in the mail to you gratis.

I was wondering, if before I buy this and spend a bit modding it to make it a little quieter and less power hungry, is there something similar with less bays?

No way I would need 24x bays, Maybe 10-12x bays would do fine for me. Someone mentioned DL320s but those are pretty damn loud as well, and I would take this just to be able to quiet it down.

Nothing too special about the data. Just going to have RAID6 on 10 drives maybe. Currently I use 2x RAID5 arrays with 4TB disks using Sans Digital USB3.0 enclosures which are becoming more trouble than they're worth. Throughput isn't much of an issue, as long as it can muster 300MB/s read I'll be fine.

Open for any suggestions, thanks!

Where are you located? I'll trade you one of these for a 743 ( 8 drives ) or a 933 ( 15 drives ) case.

Problem is unless you are local ( florida ) the shipping will kill that idea.

Where are you located? I'll trade you one of these for a 743 ( 8 drives ) or a 933 ( 15 drives ) case.

Problem is unless you are local ( florida ) the shipping will kill that idea.

I am in Florida, actually, Orlando. Problem is, I don't have anything (other than what I listed) right now. So not sure what kind of trade you are suggesting :)

the HP micro servers are great. I recently "downgraded" my 15 bay unRAID server to this and I couldn't be happier. Of course, if you're rockin with 24TB or more then you're simply going to need more bays.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11585.0

Yeh, my brother has one of those, and he says it's great, but 6 drives is a bit too small for my taste. Need 10 minimum :)

If anyone was still wondering about power draw, got mine configured finally.

Running dual quads 2384 2.7ghz, 16gb ram (8x 2gb) and 8 7200rpm drives in a win 2012 storage pool. Antec 500w earthwatts +4 120mm fans around 1000rpm (quiet enough).

Just puttering around windows its showing 175w~ at the wall. Not too bad.

it all depends on what are you prepare to do , and how mush noise you can tollerate.

I got one of the AMD quad core setup last month.
you can read details here "http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28671.0"

I removed ONE PSU (if/when I get my hands on a good PSU module I will probably do the PSU mode but for now it's mostly tolerable)

I replaced both back wall fans with quiet fans from local MicroCenter (@ $3 ea.)
removed the fan wall and put 3 120mm fans from MC @ 10ea.
so $6 for back wall, $30 for fan wall. total $36.
if you do the PSU mod figure anouther $60-$80 for PSU.

I replaced both back wall fans with quiet fans from local MicroCenter (@ $3 ea.)
removed the fan wall and put 3 120mm fans from MC @ 10ea.
so $6 for back wall, $30 for fan wall. total $36.

Nice! Did you happen to post photos at all? I'm really keen to see how easy/advisable removing the wall fans is but I didn't see any photos on your Lime thread.

no , no photos.
I took the pics but they are huge and limetech only allow files @195k size.

however I am not the first to do this.
I have seen modes to this case with 140mm fans.but you need to do the PSU mod as well as the 140mm fans are wall to wall fit. (it's interesting that 3 140mm are exact measurement to the width of this case. they fit perfectly.)
and 3 120mm is a perfect fit if you only replace the fan wall.

the only issue I see with that is that you would need to remove both the fan wall and the supporting cable management boot under it. for 140mm to work.and the cables are than run under the fans directly.

the wall is very easy to remove, there is 2 small screws on the left side (when you are looking from the front of case, where the drive cages are) there are 2 small screws on the right side if you look at where the wall meets the PSU modules there is a small (about an inch wide lip bent forward) and there are 4 or 5 screws along the bottom of the fan-wall from the drive cage side.
the whole thing just pops out from there. one other thing though is my box came with all the sata cables threaded through the fan wall openings. I had to take them out and thread them through the bottom boot..

I will try to take more pics soon and see if I can post them here.

the only issue I see with that is that you would need to remove both the fan wall and the supporting cable management boot under it. for 140mm to work.and the cables are than run under the fans directly.

Actually you don't need to remove the boot, I will have to take some pics to show you but I have 3x 140s sitting on the boot and the top is able to close.

Though I'm assuming by "boot" you mean the bracket underneath the fan wall.

Last edited:
can it be you have a deeper case?
I put a 140mm fan on the bracket and it was sticking out form the top.
that is why I went back to 120mm. I want to keep the bracket for cable management.

can it be you have a deeper case?
I put a 140mm fan on the bracket and it was sticking out form the top.
that is why I went back to 120mm. I want to keep the bracket for cable management.

I think the bracket has been removed as most with the 140mm are. They either customer mod a piece of plexiglass or use zip ties.

I bit and bought:
QC Server = $439
2x 8379HE's (2.4GHz TDP 79w) = $19.98 http://www.ebay.com/itm/360382887980?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
16GB (8 x 2Gb) = $29.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/190653277459?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Planning on doing either fan controller or PSU mod. Waiting for 2Tb drive to drop under $90 then I'll fill 12 slots.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice! Did you happen to post photos at all? I'm really keen to see how easy/advisable removing the wall fans is but I didn't see any photos on your Lime thread.

ok I got some pics in on the limetech forum.
they are not great as resolutions sucks but some what usable.

Just got my QC server in today, sadly they did not included the screws I requested (unless i'm blind). Will install WHS2011 or Essentials tonight. Then head to microcenter for fan controller, hard drives, and odds and ends.

Just got my QC server in today, sadly they did not included the screws I requested (unless i'm blind). Will install WHS2011 or Essentials tonight. Then head to microcenter for fan controller, hard drives, and odds and ends.

WHS2011 installed fine, but Essentials keeps stopping at 16% and fails =(

can anyone confirm this setup works with WS2012E... I have been debating to get this but have not seen confirmation of WSE support... or I missed it somewhere... thank you

can anyone confirm this setup works with WS2012E... I have been debating to get this but have not seen confirmation of WSE support... or I missed it somewhere... thank you

Like I said, I got WHS2011 to install with no issues.

WS2012e failed multiple times (could be source I used MSDN)

WS2012Stand. installed no problems and is what I'm sticking with. Running to Microcenter today for 2 HSF for my CPU upgrade, Fan wall Downgrade, and PSU downgrade.

Anyone recommend a good fan controller from Microcenter, that I could pick up instead of replacing fan wall and psu's?

Like I said, I got WHS2011 to install with no issues.

WS2012e failed multiple times (could be source I used MSDN)

WS2012Stand. installed no problems and is what I'm sticking with. Running to Microcenter today for 2 HSF for my CPU upgrade, Fan wall Downgrade, and PSU downgrade.

Anyone recommend a good fan controller from Microcenter, that I could pick up instead of replacing fan wall and psu's?

I can not recommend fan controller as I do not use them.
but the thing is you do the fan wall and PSU mods because of the noise, and I do not think you can control noise from PSU(and in mine experience the most noise on this system is from the PSU) on this servers with a fan controller.

plus you can mitigate most of the noise if you use this system for home server by replacing the fans first and unplugging one of the PSUs.

I am building an VM server on one of this chassis, and currently do not have a spare PSU.
so I removed ALL the 80mm fans.
and replaced them with 2x80mm quiet on from MicroCenter
and 3x120mm you can see some details here (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28671.0)
the noise went down drastically, but since I still running the stock PSU it still loud.
my plan is, as soon as I get my current system decommissioned to use the PSU in this setup for total quiet system..

I can not recommend fan controller as I do not use them.
but the thing is you do the fan wall and PSU mods because of the noise, and I do not think you can control noise from PSU(and in mine experience the most noise on this system is from the PSU) on this servers with a fan controller.

plus you can mitigate most of the noise if you use this system for home server by replacing the fans first and unplugging one of the PSUs.

I am building an VM server on one of this chassis, and currently do not have a spare PSU.
so I removed ALL the 80mm fans.
and replaced them with 2x80mm quiet on from MicroCenter
and 3x120mm you can see some details here (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28671.0)
the noise went down drastically, but since I still running the stock PSU it still loud.
my plan is, as soon as I get my current system decommissioned to use the PSU in this setup for total quiet system..

Was looking at the 140mm quiet fans, and picking up a Corsair 750w System builder series psu yesterday but put them back and got 3x 3TB Green drives to start my data migration from old home server to new.

you can not use the 140mm fans without the PSU mode.
the PSU wall takes up space where the fans need to go.
the 3x120mm fit perfectly in the space where current fan-wall sits.
I decide to get 120 for now and when I do the PSU mode I will get 140.
may be sell the 120 for soemthing :)

Just an FYI here.
it is confirmed that a PCI pass-through is possible on
AMD based chassis from TAMs based on supermicro H8DME - 2 MB
using Ubuntu Server 12.04 and Xen 4.2

more info and links are on this forum (http://lime-technology.com/forum/ind...?topic=28671.0)
as soon as I am satisfied with the setup I will post all I can in the main thread(see the link)
including what needs to be checked and verified about the hardware compatibility.
important info is MB PCB version (needs to be at least 2.0)
SAS card(s) version( need to be at least 3.0)
MB BIOS needs to be updated to latest(3.5 is the last update available from Supermicro)
as far as I know the CPUs coming with this chassis are all compartible with IOMMU

also keep in mind that Ubuntu server 13.04 with Xen 4.3 is a no-go
it might be something in the kernel I am not sure but I was able to get things working on 12.04 but not on 13.04
since I am still playing with the setup I might try getting things work on 13.04+Xen 4.3 , but not sure about this yet...

ESXi is a no-go
XenServer 6.2 is a no-go

there are some suggestions that an ArchLinux can work but as a noob I can not /will not go there :)

Are there any branded servers like the dl320 mentioned earlier with hot swap bays in 3 or 4u? Older models that can be had fairly cheap. I'd like to get something to mod that will fit standard ATX parts to get my file server moved into my rack. It's not that important to budget for something like a Norco or Supermicro case though.

Where are you all finding the drivers for board and SATA cards? I'm only seeing 800GB ea on my 3x 3TB drives....

What OS are you running? I planned on using this to upgrade/update my old WHS2011 for media streaming, web host, whole house backup. Thinking Server 2012 is overkill but WHS2011 sucks for multi drives.

I have WHS2011 on my current server with StableBit drive pool. Great for multi drives. I have 1 practically infinitely expandable "drive" visible to all my computers on my network.

I am wanting to put win8 on it though which has drive pooling and automatic file redundancy settings just like drive pool does. Since mine is just a media server I dont really need ANY of the more advanced server features.

Just got one QC unit and an extra processor in ebay. Does anybody know about compatible memory for this server at sensible prices?

If anyone is looking for RAM, I have 8 x 4Gb PC5300 sticks and 8 x 2Gb PC5300 sticks for servers that I am selling.

soooo I found out the seller of these servers is about 20 minutes away from me. Gonna try to stop by their place and see what else they have. Maybe I can squeak away with a server without having to pay the shipping :).

Bought myself the cheaper dual core model. Went and picked it up at the ebay sellers store front here in Utah. Nice shop, great people there. They had some shelves of 1tb/750gb hds sitting there waiting to be bought out. Now to start getting my box setup and plan out some future proofing so I can make it into an esxi host/file server

i actually purchased one today. Didn't know they have these for so cheap. I wonder how they manage to keep getting these.

I'm planning to fill them with 3TB drives, maybe use snapraid or flexraid running ubuntu.

now for some ram, these servers takes DDR2 ECC memory, know any good ones? Mines comes with 4x2 DDR2, would like to replace them with some bigger modules.

i actually purchased one today. Didn't know they have these for so cheap. I wonder how they manage to keep getting these.

I'm planning to fill them with 3TB drives, maybe use snapraid or flexraid running ubuntu.

now for some ram, these servers takes DDR2 ECC memory, know any good ones? Mines comes with 4x2 DDR2, would like to replace them with some bigger modules.
Ram: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190965959059

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back