Used PS3 - which version should i look for?

greenhorn1

Limp Gawd
Looking to buy a used PS3 in time for GTA4. It looks like the 80GB version is about $50 more than the 40GB version. I know the 40GB can't play PS2 games which doesn't bother me. Are there any other differences between the two other than just the increased HD size?

Only small differences besides ps2 support. 4 usb ports and memory card reader on 80gb vs 2 usb ports and no memory card reader on the 40gb. I also think all 40GB are 65nm and the 80gb comes in 90nm or 65nm.

incase you didn't know you can get the 40gb for $299 from sonystyle with a sony visa card. So I wouldn't buy a 40gb used unless it was like $200-250

I don't know if they still have the 5 free blu ray movies but when I got the movies I sold all of them for $55 total, so I actually spent $244. however shipping and tax was $20

things don't always cost as much as they say

The 60GB is still the best deal if you can find one tho. Has all the bells and whistles with BC. If you don't care about the backwards compatibility i'd say the 40GB would be good. (Can always add a bigger drive later on)

i have the 40gb ps3. the only problem i have had with it is rockband. you need 3 usb ports to be able to use a guitar, drumset, and mic and it only has 2. i had to go buy a usb hub.
other than that I just swapped out my 40 for a 160 and love it.

Do not go for the 20 or 60gb if you are buying it used. If you have a problem with it and send it to Sony, it'll take them months to replace it since they aren't manufacturing them anymore. Someone on NeoGAF sent in his 60gb PS3 a couple months ago and still hasn't received his replacement.

Hmm interesting. I think Domingo or someone around here sent their 60GB in a few weeks ago and had it back within a week or two. I thought that wasn't too bad at all.

Hmm interesting. I think Domingo or someone around here sent their 60GB in a few weeks ago and had it back within a week or two. I thought that wasn't too bad at all.

Thats more the case. We sent our 60gb in due to a bad fan and it was back in less than 2 weeks. In February (came back in early March). I doubt stuff has changed so much in one month since then.

Yeah I think by law they are required to keep a certain amount of stock of warrantied product on hand - it's an absurd amount several years worth to cover. Anyway I learned of this when I sent my 4g iphone in (which legitimately bricked itself no funny stuff) and was slightly disappointed to learn that although they sent me another one NIB, it was still a 4gb and that would be the case for several years.

one more quick question. My TV doesn't have HDMI inputs. Can I use any component video cables with the PS3 or do they have some sort of proprietary connector on the PS3 end like the wii does?

one more quick question. My TV doesn't have HDMI inputs. Can I use any component video cables with the PS3 or do they have some sort of proprietary connector on the PS3 end like the wii does?
It uses the same connector as the PS2, and I can tell you from first-hand experience, the same component cables work just fine.

Back