used laptop that will run gta V with mods?

mischief08a

Weaksauce
Hi,
I am looking for some help. My nephew plays video games as does probably all 14 year old boys. His parents (my sister and husband) had a rough go at it during the pandemic and really dont have the cash to get him a laptop to game on, so I was going to look into buying him a used laptop for his birthday in a couple weeks that will play GTA 5 with "garys mods" but he loves watching the videos on it from youtube.

With budget in mind....what used laptops will run GTA with mods on medium or higher settings?
Ive been searching and most search show newer laptops or $7-900 ones.

thanks in advance

I bet a high-end AMD APU will run it. I don't have a copy to test that theory, though.

I still can run gta5 with 40-60fps on a fx8350 desktop with amd rx 570 4gb card. It doesn't take too much to run the game at medium or high. All the mods that list has would make me favor cards with more video ram (4Gb or better) and 16gb system ram though.

I'd say an i5 4000 series as the minimum, 6000 (skylake) would be better. Graphics wise, shoot for Nvidia, gtx 1060 6GB (3GB maybe), 1050ti or the 1650 cards for newer laptops. You could probably drop down to a 970m/980m chip and be ok. The downside of the 960m chips is they only have 2gb of ram.

Sadly, given prices due to supply/demand currently, you may be better off getting a new laptop with a gtx 1650 gpu for $600-700. A quick look on ebay was a bit scary for prices on some old laptops. Doesn't hurt to look at Dell's Outlet site as they may have some deals. That or refurbs at Newegg or Amazon.

Back