Used GPU Market Crash of 2020

What are you willing to pay for a used 2080Ti?

• $500-600

Votes: 22 10.5%
  • $400-500

Votes: 39 18.6%
  • $300-400

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • $200-300

Votes: 76 36.2%

• Total voters
I have respect for DF and do not think they’d be showing misrepresentative numbers even with restrictions. That said, I really want to see the full benchmarks despite there being a bit you can already tell from that video comparison.

I had a pretty strong feeling things would be like this once I had decided to just pull the trigger on a 2080 Ti earlier in the year. I'm good with it, though. I bought one of the "cheap" models, and to be quite honest, with the real possibility of much scarcity I probably wouldn't be able to obtain one until well into next year (responsibly) anyway. Plus, I truly want to see the offering from AMD as well before I decide I need to burn a large hole in my wallet. A lot of the cool things introduced by Nvidia appear to be compatible with my 2080 Ti, so I'm not missing out on too much. I can game comfortably at 4k with GSync, so I could be just fine for a few years just like I was for nearly 4 years with the 1080.

If you haven't sold before the presentation you really should hold off now. There are too many people trying to dump their cards. You missed your window don't take an unnecessary hit let the cards launch, see where the used prices settle because they really can only go up from here and then you can decide if the value is worth it to you.

You can still get maybe $5-600 for it now. Unless you cannot live without a GPU for a few weeks there is no reason not to try your luck on the used market. If the numbers hold up you are looking at a ~$400 market value. And this is assuming AMD doesn't come up with something good. Given how aggressive Nvidia is this time around, it is likely they know something we don't.

200... Smh

Does that mean people should be giving their 1070s and below away?

I bought a pair of them in dec 2018 for $230 and $245 to support my distributed computing habit. Post 3xxx anoucements I wouldn't go much above $100 or maybe $150. We don't know what the 3060 is going to look like yet, but ~4000 cuda cores for $300-350 probably isn't far from the mark. A 1070 has half as many cuda cores, no ray tracing cores, no tensor cores for DLSS, no waranty, etc. 25-40% of an RTX3060 feels about right.

Yeah, that's why I'm mulling over selling mine at all, or at least waiting until after they launch. I suspect most people just heard Jensen say 3070 beats 2080ti for 499 but a) we haven't seen actual fps numbers, and b) as you said supply issues may make things a paper launch for a few months so I could wait it out.
On the flip side, when reviewers do post benchmarks, it could make that 3070 beating 2080ti performance a big reality in which case my card's value might tank even more regardless if it's a paper launch.

This is one of the reasons I wait for AIB cards - both to see real performance numbers, let any driver bugs get fixed, and get something with better cooling - and that 2ish month wait helps see what availability is going to be like too. You're right though - things like the 1080 launch pretty much blew the 900 series out of the water in terms of value.

2080Ti owners planning to sell their cards have an interesting gamble to make. Sell now vs sell later.

If the 3070 does indeed end up outperforming a 2080Ti in most use cases, selling later will surely bring the value down even more

But how much do you trust that claim from nVidia? I would not be terribly surprised if the 3070 only outperforms the 2080Ti in RT and falls behind elsewhere. In which case, values may actually increase slightly by waiting for real numbers.

I"m getting offer's of 650-700 so I may bite. Sucks, but I don't think anyone expected nvidia to price so low and offer the performance they claim. So if I get 650, that'll pretty much cover a large majority of the cost towards a 3080.

I"m getting offer's of 650-700 so I may bite. Sucks, but I don't think anyone expected nvidia to price so low and offer the performance they claim. So if I get 650, that'll pretty much cover a large majority of the cost towards a 3080.
If those are local offers I would definitely take it without thinking twice, but if you have to deal with fees or returns when they see the numbers that show up online before they possible even get the card in hand it becomes a hard decision for me.

If those are local offers I would definitely take it without thinking twice, but if you have to deal with fees or returns when they see the numbers that show up online before they possible even get the card in hand it becomes a hard decision for me.

Yeah, local deal. Was offered 650usd, so I think I may take it. I honestly think the prices will tank a little more once benchmarks are released, and while it's possible prices may hold or go slightly up due to demand or supply issues, I'd rather not take that risk.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
Yeah, local deal. Was offered 650usd, so I think I may take it. I honestly think the prices will tank a little more once benchmarks are released, and while it's possible prices may hold or go slightly up due to demand or supply issues, I'd rather not take that risk.

Although I would normally say jumping from the previous generation to the current generation does not always make sense, especially if the 2080 ti is still running all the games smoothly for you, in this case the performance leap would probably be too great not to do so because if you add a bit extra you can get the 3080 and skip the next generation.

So do it at $650, if the buyer shows up.

Although I would normally say jumping from the previous generation to the current generation does not always make sense, especially if the 2080 ti is still running all the games smoothly for you, in this case the performance leap would probably be too great not to do so because if you add a bit extra you can get the 3080 and skip the next generation.

So do it at $650, if the buyer shows up.

Just sold it for $650.

The more you wait, the more cards will be available for sale but the demand will not increase... this will drive down prices over time. This will be especially true when folks will get their hands on the 3000 series and dump their old cards at the same time.

In my area, one week ago, there was one 2080 Ti for sale on Kijiji... now there are 10... this number can only grow as folks get informed on the 3000s.

In my area, folks are asking $1000-$1200... If I was one of them, I would lower my price to $900 + negotiable... which would look like a great deal for someone that is not well informed on the upcoming series... or absolutely need a good card now.

I've been on 2080Ti for close to two years. Assuming a resale of $400 whenever I get my 3090, it cost me roughly $400 per year to have top-tier graphics performance. Which is a drop in the bucket for any serious hobbyist.

I don't mind the value of my 2080 Ti plummeting. These 30-series prices make up for it, and allow more people to afford the high end PC gaming experience. Considering the 3090 will be $500 less than I anticipated, it will make zero difference to me anyway.

I'm thinking it might be a good time to upgrade the old backup GPU (R7 270x).

Well, there's always the option of donating your "old" GPU to friends/family/strangers who might not be in a place to upgrade and are playing on potatoes.

Hmm, This might be the perfect time to give my 14 y/o son my 1070. A kid that doesn't play games on his pc. Guess his YT videos will look better :LOL:

You nearly always take a beating... especially if you skip 1 upgrade cycle. I'll probably strip the water blocks off my 1080ti's and just give them to my sons.

I'd pay maybe $400 for a 2080TI if I were looking on the used market. If a brand new 3070 is even just equal to a 2080TI for $499, then $400 is all a 2080TI should be worth.

Honestly though, given the chance the 2080TI would probably have to be closer to $350 for me to bite if I had the options in front of me. Raytracing does mean something to me, even if its just in a few games now.

And brand new vs 2 years old used is a big difference too -- worth easily 25% more for me. I'm not sure why or if people are actually paying some of the prices I see in the FS forums for various hardware at 90% of retail.

Now if the cards have terrible hardware, driver issues, or are never easily available to purchase then thats a different story.

Got my EVGA 2080Ti XC Hybrid in jan 2019 for $1400. Was spoiled cause I got close to 90% of what I paid each time when I upgraded to 980Ti to 1080Ti and 1080Ti to the 2080ti but that ain't gonna happen now if the performance numbers are correct. have a few grandkids with gaming systems so one may get the 2080ti if it only ends up being worth $400.

sam

Reactions: Auer
like this
Catching a falling knife. I think $650 is at the handle. Wait until benchmarks come out and you will catch the blade.

Reactions: Jinto
like this
It is what it is, nobody expected nvidia to price so low. When I bought my 2080ti back in late spring (for 1300 usd) I fully expected to take a loss when selling it, but I figured I could get $7-800 for it, and I probably could have had I posted it over the weekend. On one hand it feels like an insult getting offers in the $400-500 range, a few offering 600, but I get it. Why would anyone buy my card for over 5-600 when the 3070 is touting greater 2080ti level performance.

And... I feel like the re-sale value of the 2080ti will only drop a little more once all the reviewers post the FPS numbers, since at least right now while places like DF can show performance, NVIDIA has blocked them from showing the actual FPS.

Take the $600 and run. Even if the 3070 is slightly slower than a 2080ti why would anyone pay even $500 for a used card when they can buy a new 3070 for the same price? Lets also say the 2080ti is 15% faster than a 3070, why wouldnt someone buy a 3080 @$700? Newest tech, new warranty etc. The 3080 @ $700 is really the back breaker

Take the $600 and run. Even if the 3070 is slightly slower than a 2080ti why would anyone pay even $500 for a used card when they can buy a new 3070 for the same price? Lets also say the 2080ti is 15% faster than a 3070, why wouldnt someone buy a 3080 @$700? Newest tech, new warranty etc. The 3080 @ $700 is really the back breaker

2070 super at about $500 was really close to 1080ti performance. 1070 wasn't too far off from a 980ti either. 3070 matching a 2080ti doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. If anything, it just shows how terrible a value the 2080ti was.

Let’s say you can get $600 today and $375 two months from now. That’s $3.75 per day it costs you to use that card. How much do you game and what’s that worth to you? That’s the logic I would use.

The more you wait, the more cards will be available for sale but the demand will not increase... this will drive down prices over time. This will be especially true when folks will get their hands on the 3000 series and dump their old cards at the same time.

In my area, one week ago, there was one 2080 Ti for sale on Kijiji... now there are 10... this number can only grow as folks get informed on the 3000s.

In my area, folks are asking $1000-$1200... If I was one of them, I would lower my price to $900 + negotiable... which would look like a great deal for someone that is not well informed on the upcoming series... or absolutely need a good card now.
Until very recently the 1080ti averaged over $440 for sale on eBay completed listings. It launched at $600. It says hi.

Advice needed here.
I got *four* 2060 Supers (deep learning research), purchased 6 months ago (370 bucks each), blower design, perfect conditions. How much can I ask for each of them?

Sell them now and hope you can get the $300 per used gpu people got today.
Also I’d sell them on Craigslist just in case they get returned to you.

Until very recently the 1080ti averaged over $440 for sale on eBay completed listings. It launched at $600. It says hi.
My point is about the 2080 Ti, not the 1080 ti... not sure why the 1080 Ti is relevant here??

BTW, 1080 Ti launch price was $700, not $600... The 1080Ti's performance was comparable to 2080 (MRSP of $800), which helped keeping some of its value.
Now, the 2080 Ti's MRSP was $1200 and is comparable to the $500 3070... the math should be clear, I think.

1080ti, loved it, RIP.
Took a bit to get to that level of performance in games but here we are.

Game Dev can now crush the general 1080ti level of raw performance, whatever level of graphics complexity with RTX. Hopefully we won't be seeing 16x rtx settings in the future like AA.

We have seen streaming, recording, non gaming biz/education applications, deep learning get added to the gpu stack. I think it's more compelling than Cuda cores for creatives and PhysX this time around.

Maybe we will see more NPC complexity and map FX being crunched by the gpu if the promise of Cyberpunk 2077 pushes in-game experience towards more realistic real time complications.

Very exciting, we have finally seen into the future the original Zelda promised.

Don't just think in gaming terms, the big elephant coming into the room is once again the dreaded mining factor. Ethereum is extremely profitable now on GPU's, it will be a rather short period of time when cards will be sucked up quick, mostly used first. No idea how Ampere performs here or if the miners will support it in the next several months. RNDA2 maybe really good here as well we just do not know.

This is with .1$/kwh, you can find the calculations, which changes frequently at:
https://www.whattomine.com

This is after energy cost per day, your profit, the biggest elephant in the room is VegaVii (over $150/month for a single card)
$5.33​
VegaVii
$3.49​
5700XT
$3.49​
2080Ti
$2.71​
1080Ti
$2.53​
Vega 64
$2.48​
Do not be surprised that the Navi cards will maintain their value or even goes up past MSRP if mining gets ridiculous, the 1080Ti being sold the same or more than a 2070Super/2080/2080Super. That Vega 64 prices become close to a 2080. Vega's are very efficient if you know what you are doing for mining ETH. The 2080Ti is no more profitable than a 5700XT and you can fit more 5700XT, especially blower types in a mining rig.

Jensen indicated mining is coming back couple of months ago, if Nvidia repeats what they did last time, whole shipping containers full of mining cards while the gaming cards where scarce with ever rising prices is to be seen. I don't think we are even close to that yet but this could turn around over night rather quickly.

Here’s my $.02 looking at it from the not hardcore enthusiast side.

If your on a 1080p monitor the 3070/3080 is total overkill and most people still play on 1080p. Out of 20 of my discord friends 2 play at 4k 60, 5 of us 1440p 144hz then the rest are 1080p 144hz. Most of them use what I would consider shit cards, rx570/580. I had 2060 super my buddy 2080ti, one other guy a 2070 and the rest were on gtx 1060 6gb cards.

A 2080ti for $350 at 1080p 144fps is a good deal, especially for esports games and those are the most popular played games out right now. It will run those no problem for a few years just fine if I had to guess. Not too mention most people are on a budget and can’t afford to drop $700 on a 3080

These new cards are marketed towards 4k gaming, I could care less about 4k since the good monitors are expensive and I’m not willing to fork out the cash for 4k 120/144hz and 4k 60 is a no go after using 144hz for years.

I currently use a 1440p 144hz monitor. I bought a 2080ti for $350, I was using a 2060 super that I sold for what I paid for it. I play DBD, cod, bf5, the golf club and siege. My framerate went thru the roof in these games and for the price I got it for I feel like it’s a good deal. The card was 3 months old, I bought it from a friend and it has a ton of warranty left on it. I had $800 put to the side for a gpu upgrade but I really didn’t need it. The 2060 super played my games just fine. I put the $450 I saved up in a can that I’m gonna use to upgrade my whole pc to the next socket change

Im building a pc for my friend to get into pc gaming and away from consoles. He has a 1080p 144hz monitor and I know he won’t upgrade it. I got him a rtx 2080 super for $275 that has over 2 years warranty left. Once again totally worth it. He’ll be happy as a pig n shit when he sees what 144 Fps is like compared to using a ps4 slim to play games

Not everyone needs to go balls to the wall and that’s how most people are. Seeing 2080ti cards for $400 is great to them as it’s more power then they can probably even notice on a 1080p monitor.
I get where you guys are coming from but honestly most people have shit computers and this price drop will be amazing for them to upgrade to a used card that shits on what they currently have and not have to spend a ton of money in the process. I feel bad for the guys that bought 2080ti cards for $1k or more. Your taking a serious beating right now.

Here’s my $.02 looking at it from the not hardcore enthusiast side.

If your on a 1080p monitor the 3070/3080 is total overkill and most people still play on 1080p. Out of 20 of my discord friends 2 play at 4k 60, 5 of us 1440p 144hz then the rest are 1080p 144hz. Most of them use what I would consider shit cards, rx570/580. I had 2060 super my buddy 2080ti, one other guy a 2070 and the rest were on gtx 1060 6gb cards.

A 2080ti for $350 at 1080p 144fps is a good deal, especially for esports games and those are the most popular played games out right now. It will run those no problem for a few years just fine if I had to guess. Not too mention most people are on a budget and can’t afford to drop $700 on a 3080

These new cards are marketed towards 4k gaming, I could care less about 4k since the good monitors are expensive and I’m not willing to fork out the cash for 4k 120/144hz and 4k 60 is a no go after using 144hz for years.

I currently use a 1440p 144hz monitor. I bought a 2080ti for $350, I was using a 2060 super that I sold for what I paid for it. I play DBD, cod, bf5, the golf club and siege. My framerate went thru the roof in these games and for the price I got it for I feel like it’s a good deal. The card was 3 months old, I bought it from a friend and it has a ton of warranty left on it. I had $800 put to the side for a gpu upgrade but I really didn’t need it. The 2060 super played my games just fine. I put the $450 I saved up in a can that I’m gonna use to upgrade my whole pc to the next socket change

Im building a pc for my friend to get into pc gaming and away from consoles. He has a 1080p 144hz monitor and I know he won’t upgrade it. I got him a rtx 2080 super for $275 that has over 2 years warranty left. Once again totally worth it. He’ll be happy as a pig n shit when he sees what 144 Fps is like compared to using a ps4 slim to play games

Not everyone needs to go balls to the wall and that’s how most people are. Seeing 2080ti cards for $400 is great to them as it’s more power then they can probably even notice on a 1080p monitor.
I get where you guys are coming from but honestly most people have shit computers and this price drop will be amazing for them to upgrade to a used card that shits on what they currently have and not have to spend a ton of money in the process. I feel bad for the guys that bought 2080ti cards for $1k or more. Your taking a serious beating right now.
Where did you get the cards for those prices? Sounds a little low for me. But if you did get them for this price it was an amazing deal.

Where did you get the cards for those prices? Sounds a little low for me. But if you did get them for this price it was an amazing deal.

I got the 2080ti from my good friend in mass and the 2080 super from someone I bought a Wii U from here years ago. I swear I paid the prices I said and at those prices I could care less about the 3000 series considering the games I play ran fine at 1440p on a 2060 super that I sold for $400 a couple days before the reveal. I lucked out big time.

I think that until the market is flooded with new products, and 3060 and below are released, prices are going to fluctuate quite a bit. I’m not seeing a ton of $350 and below 2080ti cards and if anything I think some users who can’t get their orders in for 3070 or 3080 could still end up picking up a 2080ti if it’s cheap enough which could see prices rise even past the “why buy an old card at that price” point. I’m not sure that there are that many 2080tis out there relative to 2070 or 2060 or even 1080ti - this was an expensive card, so not as many owners I would think.
Prices will stabilize and drop off in a few months but it’s going to be volatile for a bit.

Being in the market for a new card, I won't pay 3070 prices for a used 2080ti, not unless there is a transferable warranty and water block attached. Even if the 2080ti might be faster in some areas. Rather have the new card, full warranty and the fact that it will improve as drivers mature.

If the used 2080ti market doesn't fall below 3070 prices, so be it, I can buy the new card. Either way for the sub 500$ market, this is awesome.

Imho the prices are reasonable which makes me think AMD has something competitive coming out as well. Nvidia wouldn't leave a dollar on the table if they didn't have to.
AMD does not have anything to match this is my guess. They are going to need to play price games to compete. To me the 3070ti looks to be the sweet spot depending on price

Because new generation getting better preformace for the dollar. I skipped 2080ti because getting real bad value for the money. Best value will 3070 super with more ram hopefully 20 vs 10.

Back