Used GPU Market Crash of 2020

What are you willing to pay for a used 2080Ti?

• $500-600

Votes: 22 10.5%
  • $400-500

Votes: 39 18.6%
  • $300-400

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • $200-300

Votes: 76 36.2%

• Total voters

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
Wow, 1000 and 2000 series prices are going to take a beating!

Instead of spamming the FS threads with low ball offers. Let's post the going rate for GPUs here so traders can know what to expect.
The top end 2080Ti will set the market for the rest of the cards.

I hear yea, man. My buddy is going with the 3090 and was going to sell me his 2080ti. But for $500 for a 3070 to upgrade my 1060....

I sold my 2080TI for 1K a few months back. Ran a 1080TI in its place for a while, sold it for $450 after paying $450 for it used. Just patiently waiting on a 3080 now, im sure they will sell out immediately, and be price gouged beyond reason. Just using my backup PC with a 2060 until a 3080 becomes readily available at MSRP. Im betting 2080TI prices plummet under $500 pretty quick, if 3080 is actually available.

I am not willing to buy a 2080ti since the RT performance of the new cards looks so promising.
And since my 1080Ti is probably not gonna be worth much, I guess I'll slap it into my 12 year old PC when I get the 3080.

my 12 year old PC with a 1050,
IMG_5816.JPG

$0

Why buy Turing when Ampere is coming?

all things have some value - it just depends where on the price scale it ends up falling. We're talking used cards here, after all. If, say, the 2080ti and the 3070 are the same performance, the 2080 would be worth a little less than the 3070 most likely. It all depends.

I am not willing to buy a 2080ti since the RT performance of the new cards looks so promising.
And since my 1080Ti is probably not gonna be worth much, I guess I'll slap it into my 12 year old PC when I get the 3080.

my 12 year old PC with a 1050,
I agree. Backup/secondary is a better use for it.

all things have some value - it just depends where on the price scale it ends up falling. We're talking used cards here, after all. If, say, the 2080ti and the 3070 are the same performance, the 2080 would be worth a little less than the 3070 most likely. It all depends.

Not taking into consideration 2x better RT cores, and having Tensor cores this time around for DLSS and the other fancy technologies.

Budget builds or like in my house 5 PCs (myself and kids) so there is always a place for decently priced used gear.

With that being said I have a 2060 super and 2080 super that are just over a year old and they will just slide down the ranks whenever I decide to upgrade. Dad gets the best GPU for obvious reasons. ;)

$0

Why buy Turing when Ampere is coming?

Budget builds or like in my house 5 PCs (myself and kids) so there is always a place for decently priced used gear.

With that being said I have a 2060 super and 2080 super that are just over a year old and they will just slide down the ranks whenever I decide to upgrade. Dad gets the best GPU for obvious reasons. ;)

Yep. My 1080 went to the wife. The 2080 will move down to ... something, if it doesn't move into the TR system (waiting to see what Big Navi holds; it's currently running a 5700XT). Waiting on the waterblock versions of the 3080/3090 :)

Definitely going back under water myself on the main late this year or early next when most of the AIBs are out and reviews are in on all the new GPU hotness.

Yep. My 1080 went to the wife. The 2080 will move down to ... something, if it doesn't move into the TR system (waiting to see what Big Navi holds; it's currently running a 5700XT). Waiting on the waterblock versions of the 3080/3090 :)

Definitely going back under water myself on the main late this year or early next when most of the AIBs are out and reviews are in on all the new GPU hotness.

Yeah. I bought the 2080 as a stop gap for a month or two - got owned on the price, but it'll be useful still :)

Ooffff the 2080 Ti's just catered fast. I feel bad for anyone who just bought one in August. Of they paid 1,000 they just took a nice haircut. They kept their value really well for the entire cycle but with the 3070 offering the same performance there's little reason to spend the same amount of money on a 2080 ti unless you value the RAM. I might pick one up of the price is right.
I bought two 1080 Tis after the ether crash so I picked them up for a sweet price. I might do the same with the 2080 Tis :D

These threads always make me laugh. Funny thing is, last time around everyone said the same thing. Then they saw the actual numbers and performance and availability. And suddenly, the previous gen cards magically held alot of their value.... We all watched it unfold in front of us. Prices might dip a bit, but they are not going to tank.

These threads always make me laugh. Funny thing is, last time around everyone said the same thing. Then they saw the actual numbers and performance and availability. And suddenly, the previous gen cards magically held alot of their value.... We all watched it unfold in front of us. Prices might dip a bit, but they are not going to tank.

Except this time IS different

Nvidia prices have historically ticked up along with performance. This time performance went up in a major, record way — almost doubled.
While price basically cut in half.

I did not expect this whatsoever.

You should probably look at what's happening on eBay....yesterday 900 to 1kish, today 600ish. The 2000 series didn't really overthrow the 1000 series. When they launched the 2080 was on par with the 1080 ti. The 2080 launched for $700. That's not the case this time.
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-used-market-flooded-after-rtx-3080-rtx-3070-unveil/

I am all about competition. But show me the real numbers and we can go from there. And I hope this isnt a paper launch.

why would anyone wait until the new cards are officially announced before selling their old cards?...you do it BEFORE the new models are released/announced, not after...I sold my base PS4 a few months before the PS4 Pro hit because I knew resale value would drop

I am all about competition. But show me the real numbers and we can go from there. And I hope this isnt a paper launch.

The DigitalFoundry video above shows a 70-100% gain in performance between the 2080 and 3080, both in Raserization and RT workloads. This was tested by a 3rd party reviewer that said, by his own admission, that Nvidia only told him the games he could use for the video and he couldn't post framerates, but gave him no other instructions.

It's not a review, per se, but if that's not enough to convince you that Ampere is a performance leap over Turing, it's doubtful that anything will.

Imho the prices are reasonable which makes me think AMD has something competitive coming out as well. Nvidia wouldn't leave a dollar on the table if they didn't have to.

The DigitalFoundry video above shows a 70-100% gain in performance between the 2080 and 3080, both in Raserization and RT workloads. This was tested by a 3rd party reviewer that said, by his own admission, that Nvidia only told him the games he could use for the video and he couldn't post framerates, but gave him no other instructions.

It's not a review, per se, but if that's not enough to convince you that Ampere is a performance leap over Turing, it's doubtful that anything will.

I’m not denying it’s not a good leap. But even he said in the video he entirely understands people being skeptical and he lists off reasons why. Including nvidia sponsoring his content at times...

I’m not denying it’s not a good leap. But even he said in the video he entirely understands people being skeptical and he lists off reasons why. Including nvidia sponsoring his content at times...
But they did not sponsor him this time. If they had, he would have to declare it in the video.

Nvidia can't let 1080ti stick around.
All 3x 30x0 gpus in today's event slides have positioning that attacks 2080ti.

I don't think I've seen anything like this fr Nvidia before.

Maybe they've learned a few things watching AMD lack of segmentation at times.

Pricing looks good, I wonder about availability though. Crypto (or at least Ethereum) is starting to bubble up again as well.

Advice needed here.
I got *four* 2060 Supers (deep learning research), purchased 6 months ago (370 bucks each), blower design, perfect conditions. How much can I ask for each of them?

Advice needed here.
I got *four* 2060 Supers (deep learning research), purchased 6 months ago (370 bucks each), blower design, perfect conditions. How much can I ask for each of them?
Press F to pay respect.
Seriously just look at completed listings on eBay...

It is what it is, nobody expected nvidia to price so low. When I bought my 2080ti back in late spring (for 1300 usd) I fully expected to take a loss when selling it, but I figured I could get $7-800 for it, and I probably could have had I posted it over the weekend. On one hand it feels like an insult getting offers in the $400-500 range, a few offering 600, but I get it. Why would anyone buy my card for over 5-600 when the 3070 is touting greater 2080ti level performance.

And... I feel like the re-sale value of the 2080ti will only drop a little more once all the reviewers post the FPS numbers, since at least right now while places like DF can show performance, NVIDIA has blocked them from showing the actual FPS.

Keep in mind if you plan to sell of your Turing card, supply and demand. If these cards are a mostly paper launch, and availability is low for months (which has happened more than a few times) you will still see some resale value in your Turing. Happens often. People just freak out when new cards are launched.

Keep in mind if you plan to sell of your Turing card, supply and demand. If these cards are a mostly paper launch, and availability is low for months (which has happened more than a few times) you will still see some resale value in your Turing. Happens often. People just freak out when new cards are launched.

Yeah, that's why I'm mulling over selling mine at all, or at least waiting until after they launch. I suspect most people just heard Jensen say 3070 beats 2080ti for 499 but a) we haven't seen actual fps numbers, and b) as you said supply issues may make things a paper launch for a few months so I could wait it out.
On the flip side, when reviewers do post benchmarks, it could make that 3070 beating 2080ti performance a big reality in which case my card's value might tank even more regardless if it's a paper launch.

Back