Used 7970 or new 7950?

arcsum68

Limp Gawd
Obviously for a used 7970 I am taking whats offered, typically reference designs to keep the prices similar to a new 7950 (maybe Gigabyte triple fan)

Thoughts? Is it worth the hassle and possible warranty issues?

why would used 7970s typically only be reference designed? I personally would never buy a used pc component as there are just too many people that push their stuff to the edge and I also would want a full warranty.

btw I think you need to list all of your current specs.

It's a bit on the old side, planning on working in more hardware here soon.

Phenom x4 965 3.4
8GB Gskill
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Crucial M4 SSD
Win7
Logitech G35
Logitech G500

It's a bit on the old side, planning on working in more hardware here soon.

Phenom x4 965 3.4
8GB Gskill
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Crucial M4 SSD
Win7
Logitech G35
Logitech G500
I assume that is a 64 bit os. and what about power supply, current card and resolution that you will be playing at?

Wow, sorry, preoccupied with the Seahawks/Falcons game.

Currently running a 5850 and an OCZ Modstream 700 watt
all wrapped up in a Corsair 500r

Main monitor is a Dell 2209WA running @ 1680 * 1050.

The reason it would be reference cooling is because those seem to be the cards in the price range I am looking at ($300ish)

So 7950 (probably Sapphire or Gigabyte) or whatever 7970 is available.

Honestly the 7950 will be great, but wondering how much future proofing the 7970 would help with. I do not upgrade constantly like some of you guys do.

Sig updated, but its not showing.

Phenom II X4 965 3.4 - 8GB GSkill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P - Crucial M4 SSD - Win7 64 - HIS 5850 - OCZ Modstream 700 - Corsair 500r Black - Dell 2209WA 1680x1050 + Viewsonic 1440x900

with your cpu and playing at 1680, I would just get a brand new 7950. with a small oc you will never see a playable difference between a 7950 and 7970 in your situation anyway.

why would used 7970s typically only be reference designed? I personally would never buy a used pc component as there are just too many people that push their stuff to the edge and I also would want a full warranty.

btw I think you need to list all of your current specs.

I haven't bought a used video card since voltage control took off. There are just too many idiots that'll run furmark or the like for hours with a ridiculous overclock.

I've had good luck with used cpus though. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another used intel cpu.

Clock for clock you'll never notice a difference between 7970 and 7950 anyways.

Yeah, I worry about that. Bought the 5850 used and it's run ok, but I cannot overclock it at all. The default OC utility works, but this series gets flicker when you use it with dual monitors. No matter what BIOS I use, if it's not the factory one I cannot OC even .1 percent.

Thanks everyone, I was second guessing my decision to move up to the 7970. The 50 will be more than good enough, at least for my current rig.

I've bought used video cards many times over the years and never had issues. The only thing i wont buy used is a hard drive (of any type)

I would honestly wait till 8xxx comes out and ppl are selling off their 7970s on here or ocn. Ebay already has 7970s hiting $300 and 7950s at $250. If your worried about bottlenecking or price for $200 new check out a 7850 it will run anything maxed out.

When is that supposed to happen.

I dont want to buy used, especially with the Never Settle bundle. There's a fine line between when prices drop because the new series comes out and when they stay steady because of availability.

I already did, thanks. The Sapphire was out of stock, got the Gigabyte with the better/easier warranty per reviewers. Hopefully I get the bundle too, IMO that makes a decent enough deal.

good choice. the gigabyte HD 7950 has an excellent cooler. overclock it to 1100 - 1150 mhz and you can match a HD 7970 Ghz.

I would honestly wait till 8xxx comes out and ppl are selling off their 7970s on here or ocn. Ebay already has 7970s hiting $300 and 7950s at $250. If your worried about bottlenecking or price for $200 new check out a 7850 it will run anything maxed out.

Prior always say this but used prices have never and will never work that way. If it's around $250 use right now it will be about the same a month after the new gen is released. It's not like when the new stuff comes out the prices will tank. It takes time and the prices will gradually fall. Personally get what you want now, the whole wait a few months to save $30 mentality always bugged me.

Hell even when the new gen is released you'll have people telling you to wait for price drops, then when that happens those same people are back on wait for the next gen.:p

By it now, enjoy it now, don't fall into the endless waiting trap.

I would never get a used graphics card, but that's just me. Even if it was still under warranty. I would rather not have to deal with RMA which can sometimes takes weeks. I realize new cards can also break, but the chances are much lower when you buy new.

Just my 2 cents. I always look at whether the manufacturer bases it off of manufacturer date or purchase receipt. If it is based off of a receipt then I won't buy it used, just to much risk for to little reward. I have also found that people are a bit to proud of their used computer components. People who bought things for the bleeding edge price want what you can catch the items on sale now for, which is not my fault they wanted to buy the latest and greatest. I do understand them not wanting to take the financial hit, but that is the price they pay.

I m happy with my 7970 depending on what you're using it for is how I would base my decision. Is a 7950 enough? Then save the headache and buy that, enjoy the games, and overclock it some.

Are the Gigabyte cards not voltage locked?

Based on my experience, I always go for new graphics cards. First of all, with all good intentions, you may be dealing with someone who abused the card or didn't know how to handle it when installing. For some reason, all the used cards ive gotten have crapped out on me and yet all the new cards have been good with the exception of one or two that were RMA's.

Back