Use ZFS storage on WHS2011?

MaxIImus

n00b
Hi,

I read in this thread (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665050) someone talking about the ability to use your ZFS-storage in WHS. I have been using ZFS for quite some time, but because all the servers and computers on the network are windows computers, I could really use the built-in backup function in WHS. The reason I have chosen not to use WHS is because I really like ZFS and the ability to have a dual-redundant system (Raid-Z2) which is not doable in WHS as far as I know.

So, is it possible to use a ZFS-server in WHS? I have been thinking about this scenario, because it would really make my backups much easier to handle.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, that the server is already running esxi (OpenIndiana VM atm)

Last edited:
You can make your ZFS folders available over the network to the Windows boxes and mount them as network drives etc. - is that what you're meaning?

Well, that would be one way to do it. I don't know whether or not this is a good way to do it.

As I see it, my choices are:

1: SMB share
2: iSCSI?
3: Read somewhere that esxi are able to share a virtual share to another or something like that??

How would you guys do it?

Not sure what you mean by #3? I think it's better to share out via smb than to use iSCSI (except for specific exceptions...)

And I assume it isn't a problem for WHS to use the built-in backup function with smb instead of letting it manage the drives itself? (if you get what i mean)

I don't know enough about whs to comment. I know with win7, home edition cannot backup to a network (smb) share, so I would then use an iSCSI share that ends up looking like a local disk. Your call...

I have now installed WHS2011 in vmware player for testing purposes and I cannot seem to import a network share. Does someone know if you are able to store the backups created by WHS2011 on a network share? (which is going to be a ZFS-share)

You can share the drives on a network share, don't know about the backup folders themselves. Should accomplish the same thing.

I have tried that, but when I try to use it in the dash-board, I says I cannot use it :(

Sharing drives over a network share is not available through the dashboard, by design.

So this means I have to use iSCSI in order for this to work? I have read somewhere that iSCSI is not recommended by Microsoft so do anyone have any experience with this. Is it working ok and is it reliable?

Yes, there is an iscsi software available for 2011, yes, certain advanced features for the drives are available only through the control panel. The dashboard is there to keep people away from those levels of drive management. For a good reason. Really, if you need more help, you might try over at wegotserved.

Well, I think I'm going to make an ESXI server with two VMs - A Windows SBS Essentials server and an OpenIndiana server. I am then going to use the ZFS-folder from OI by using iSCSI to the SBS server. Guess this shouldn't give any problems.

One more thing, how do I setup esxi with regards of NICs? I don't want the data from OI getting outside the esxi-server :) (Sorry for all the question but I am quite new to virtualization but wow I think it's fantastic :))

Back