Use VPN for just one website?

gibber

Gawd
Windows 7. Built in VPN software.

Want to "connect" the VPN but NOT re-route most traffic through that VPN. Want to have connections to only one website routed through VPN and leave all other internet traffic on the default interface. Is there an easy way to configure that?

Default behavior seems to be that when you "connect" a VPN it interrupts all your current connections and EVERYTHING goes through the VPN.

I googled more - so far I have not seen a simpler/less resource intensive solution than runing the VPN on a virtual machine?

Have it route no traffic through the VPN, but on the computer create a static route through the VPN to that site.

Something like "route add ip.address.of.site MASK 255.255.255.255 ip.address.of.vpn.gateway METRIC 1"

Get a VPN client that hands off to a HTTP or SOCKS proxy, and use a browser addon like FoxyProxy to have a rule to only use the proxy for a certain site.

Get a VPN client that hands off to a HTTP or SOCKS proxy, and use a browser addon like FoxyProxy to have a rule to only use the proxy for a certain site.
Doh - I had just read about FoxyProxy the other day too - but I had not thought about looking for the different VPN client to use with it. I should have looked into using FoxyProxy, I guess I was just wishing that the built in VPN client had more options than it does (like a box where you can enter which websites/servers you want Windows to use the VPN for/exclude). Thanks.

Whats the server running?
The "server" (you're asking which VPN server?) is just a subcription based UK VPN proxy which I got for one month so I could see some of the Olympics highlights on BBC.co.uk. Easy enough to setup a virtual Linux system on my PC and watch through that, but, I do Windows/PC support at work and I thought it was strange that the built in VPN client didn't seem to have an easy option (besides using the command line route command).

So it looks like there are 3 - 4 fairly easy ways to do what I want, it's just not part of the Windows VPN clietn GUI...

If the service is just using pptp for the connection, there is a check box under the TCP/IP advanced setup to "use default gateway on remote network". Uncheck that box, then setup the static route as the other reply mentioned. That should do what you want.

Back