[???] use USB C monitor without USB C?

karatekid430 I am THRILLED to hear what you just shared! I did the same thing (created an account on this forum just to ask the question/contribute to this thread). I will be standing by to receive your update once you receive the Sunix UPD2018 host card :-D Please don't forget to come back to tell us how it works out (I hope it works out lol)! Thank you for your input... coming up with a solution to this "issue" is like digging for gold lol

Okay ordered a dodgy one from Ebay, found an Australian seller. Not an ideal adapter for other things but it will test the Sunix UPD2018 for working with just power.

Estimated delivery: Thu, 15 Jun–Wed, 21 Jun. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162424103077

I will let you know.

I don't know if hardforum.com has "friends" or not, but people who are interested in this stuff should PM me or "add" me if such thing exists - I would love to keep communicating.
You can "follow" someone from their profile page (not sure what this does though, haven't tried yet). I think you can set notifications to be sent to your email for certain events, too, but I'm not 100% certain. It's been a while since I've messed with any of that.

karatekid430 Thank you so much for the update! That was a lot to take in... hmmmmmm... so what you're saying is (please correct me if I'm wrong... which I very-well may be lol):
  • The Sunix UPD2018 does not work very well by itself with the ASUS USB-C monitor (assumed from your point #1).

• It cannot work without an additional power source (assumed from your point #'s 2-3 and 6)
I will keep an eye out for your next update regarding the "standalone DisplayPort to USB-C converter when powered with an adapter... [plus] Molex" Thanks, again friend!

Ps. The other laptop I wanted to get that does support USB-C DisplayPort Alt-Mode had a significant price drop, so I may just bite the bullet and get that... but I'm still hoping a less expensive solution (like yours) can work for me :)

Pps. Nobu is right about the notifications... If you go here (https://hardforum.com/account/alert-preferences), you can adjust your email preferences :) hope that helps!

karatekid430 Thank you so much for the update! That was a lot to take in... hmmmmmm... so what you're saying is (please correct me if I'm wrong... which I very-well may be lol):
  • The Sunix UPD2018 does not work very well by itself with the ASUS USB-C monitor (assumed from your point #1).

• It cannot work without an additional power source (assumed from your point #'s 2-3 and 6)
I will keep an eye out for your next update regarding the "standalone DisplayPort to USB-C converter when powered with an adapter... [plus] Molex" Thanks, again friend!

Ps. The other laptop I wanted to get that does support USB-C DisplayPort Alt-Mode had a significant price drop, so I may just bite the bullet and get that... but I'm still hoping a less expensive solution (like yours) can work for me :)

Pps. Nobu is right about the notifications... If you go here (https://hardforum.com/account/alert-preferences), you can adjust your email preferences :) hope that helps!

I see no reason why it would not work with the MB169C+, except for whether the Sunix UPD2018 can supply enough power. Does anybody know if MB169C+ requires USB-C PD? Or if it can just run off normal USB power?

I am upset at Microsoft for their latest offerings still not sporting USB Type-C. I am starting to think they refuse to put a second USB port on board to force us to buy their overpriced docks. I love my dock, and I would buy it even if there were more ports on the Surface Pro.

Anyway, this will keep me happy for a while. It will be the only example, ever, of being able to add USB Type-C to an existing laptop. It will allow me to ditch the dodgy charger and carry a universal one with me, and use it for all of my devices. But IIRC, the Surface Pro 3/4/5 uses 12V - and many adapters go 5V, 9V, 15V, 20V, and skip 12V - exercise caution when purchasing. Also, some skip 9V, and this is bad news for smartphones which often use 9V.

But I wonder if it will enable support for the Asus MB169C+ with the Surface Pro. I guess it depends on whether it can draw power from the Surface. https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/23/15674254/microsoft-surface-usb-c-dongle

karatekid430

Ah, I just realised a really stupidly simple solution to the Molex. You just buy one of these from any decent brand (make sure it is USB 3.X, as 2.0 does not provide much power at all) and shove it into the box with the UPD2018, with the USB cord sticking out of the box for power. Then take the SATA power and put it into the UPD2018 with an adapter - assuming that SATA has all of the voltages required by PCIe. There has to be enough power for the Sunix and the USB-C monitor.

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/621910/ALOGIC-20cm-USB-31-Type-C-Adapter-Cable-for-25-Sata-Drive
https://www.ple.com.au/Products/624915/ALOGIC-USB-30-USBA-to-SATA-Adapter-Cable-for-25-Hard-Drive

If it works then it will be a USB powered adapter - which is really nice. This is assuming that the UPD2018 even works without a computer attached.

If SATA does not work, then a big ugly adapter like this, assuming it has the required regulatory approvals for your region: https://www.quietpc.com/qpc-ac-power-yh-3018

Just thinking ahead.

karatekid430 I am THRILLED to hear what you just shared! I did the same thing (created an account on this forum just to ask the question/contribute to this thread). I will be standing by to receive your update once you receive the Sunix UPD2018 host card :-D Please don't forget to come back to tell us how it works out (I hope it works out lol)! Thank you for your input... coming up with a solution to this "issue" is like digging for gold lol

I finally received the item. Just after I wrote to the seller asking where it might have been. I can confirm the Sunix UPD2018 works standalone with a Molex power connector.

I posted a video demonstrating it: https://youtu.be/dZe94fhLIaw

We just need somebody with the Asus MB169C+ Monitor to try it to see if the Sunix UPD2018 can supply enough power for it to work.

I finally received the item. Just after I wrote to the seller asking where it might have been. I can confirm the Sunix UPD2018 works standalone with a Molex power connector.
We just need somebody with the Asus MB169C+ Monitor to try it to see if the Sunix UPD2018 can supply enough power for it to work.
The Gigabyte GC ALPINE RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 card might be able to do the same as the UPD2018.

I've tried the Thunderbolt 3 card in a PCIe 1.0 slot in my Mac Pro 2008 and it's able to convert DisplayPort input to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode. It has two inputs and two outputs, so it should be able to do two USB-C DisplayPort alt mode displays or display adapters. It can also do two streams of DisplayPort over Thunderbolt 3 which might be able to drive an LG UltraFine 5K display at 5K@60Hz (I've tested with a Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter). However, the LG UltraFine 5K display doesn't have onscreen controls. The display controls, audio, camera, and USB ports require PCIe over Thunderbolt which only works if you're motherboard has a Thunderbolt add-in card header.

The Gigabyte GC ALPINE RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 card might be able to do the same as the UPD2018.
I've also tried the Gigabyte GC ALPINE RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 card card in the PCIEX4 slot of a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 while both NVMe slots are occupied, meaning that the slot does not have any PCIe signals, only PCIe power.

This is GREAT news! lol And I would happily try this out :-D

Only thing is... I recently received the new laptop I was going to get and need to know if the new one would still work with what you have suggested. This is the new laptop I got last week: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY7R17M/

This is GREAT news! lol And I would happily try this out :-D
Only thing is... I recently received the new laptop I was going to get and need to know if the new one would still work with what you have suggested. This is the new laptop I got last week: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY7R17M/

The standalone Sunix UPD2018 method should work with any computer that has a DisplayPort output, including mini-DisplayPort and USB-C DisplayPort alt mode. The method might be redundant with that laptop since it has a USB-C port built-in. The specs I could find for that laptop did not mention that the USB-C port supports USB-C DisplayPort alt mode so maybe it's not redundant. The laptop has 3 outputs, 2 DisplayPort, 1 HDMI, but don't Nvidia chips usually support 4 outputs? Well, maybe the 4th is connected to the lap top screen so the USB-C port might be USB only.

I've ordered a molex power connector to verify the standalone Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE method.

I don't have a MB169C+ to test. The manual says it requires ≤ 7W which should be doable. The UPD2018 manual says each USB port supports 5V@1500mA which is 7.5W. I couldn't find information on the power output of the Thunderbolt 3 ports of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE.

The standalone Sunix UPD2018 method should work with any computer that has a DisplayPort output, including mini-DisplayPort and USB-C DisplayPort alt mode. The method might be redundant with that laptop since it has a USB-C port built-in. The specs I could find for that laptop did not mention that the USB-C port supports USB-C DisplayPort alt mode so maybe it's not redundant. The laptop has 3 outputs, 2 DisplayPort, 1 HDMI, but don't Nvidia chips usually support 4 outputs? Well, maybe the 4th is connected to the lap top screen so the USB-C port might be USB only.

I've ordered a molex power connector to verify the standalone Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE method.

I don't have a MB169C+ to test. The manual says it requires ≤ 7W which should be doable. The UPD2018 manual says each USB port supports 5V@1500mA which is 7.5W. I couldn't find information on the power output of the Thunderbolt 3 ports of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE.

I can confirm the laptop I have has 2 USB-C ports (that do not support DP Alt-Mode), and 3 USB-A ports (plus the other ones you mentioned). So the method definitely is not redundant! lol And thanks for the YouTube video, that was very informative :)

The upside is: I still have the ASUS USB-C monitors! However, not being technically inclined on the hardware side, I'm not sure if I could do that configuration myself (I wouldn't know where to start). Will you be getting a USB-C monitor to test this yourself?

I can confirm the laptop I have has 2 USB-C ports (that do not support DP Alt-Mode), and 3 USB-A ports (plus the other ones you mentioned). So the method definitely is not redundant! lol And thanks for the YouTube video, that was very informative :)
The upside is: I still have the ASUS USB-C monitors! However, not being technically inclined on the hardware side, I'm not sure if I could do that configuration myself (I wouldn't know where to start). Will you be getting a USB-C monitor to test this yourself?
karatekid430 posted the video.

I won't be getting a USB-C monitor myself. My USB-C to VGA adapter is sufficient for testing the USB-C DisplayPort alt mode. A USB-C monitor is required to test whether the USB-C port will supply enough power and whether the monitor will function without a USB connection (DisplayPort only). Well, there is a USB connection since the card has a USB controller, but the USB controller is not connected to a computer, so who knows if that matters?

For the hardware, I'll be testing each of the cards with these two items:
1) OKGEAR PA-AD-UL 12V/5V AC/DC Power adapter w/ 4pin molex connector. 5V 2A 10W, 12V 2A 24W.
2) PCI-E 1x to 16x Powered USB 3.0 Extender Riser Adapter Card.

A PCIe x4 card is allowed 3.3V 3A 9.9W and 12V 2.1A 25W. Hopefully, the cards won't use the max and the molex power adapter will be enough. Otherwise I can add an another molex power cable to my computer's power supply and use that externally for testing.

karatekid430 posted the video.

I won't be getting a USB-C monitor myself. My USB-C to VGA adapter is sufficient for testing the USB-C DisplayPort alt mode. A USB-C monitor is required to test whether the USB-C port will supply enough power and whether the monitor will function without a USB connection (DisplayPort only). Well, there is a USB connection since the card has a USB controller, but the USB controller is not connected to a computer, so who knows if that matters?

For the hardware, I'll be testing each of the cards with these two items:
1) OKGEAR PA-AD-UL 12V/5V AC/DC Power adapter w/ 4pin molex connector. 5V 2A 10W, 12V 2A 24W.

A PCIe x4 card is allowed 3.3V 3A 9.9W and 12V 2.1A 25W. Hopefully, the cards won't use the max and the molex power adapter will be enough. Otherwise I can add an another molex power cable to my computer's power supply and use that externally for testing.

Thank you for that correction... you are indeed not the one who posted the video lol my mistake!

However, I'm really interested in your USB-C to VGA adapter setup since you said it works for you... will it work for me too? :-D (I'm hopeful lol)

If not, I'll keep my eyes on this thread to see if there are any further solutions for this workaround :)

However, I'm really interested in your USB-C to VGA adapter setup since you said it works for you... will it work for me too? :-D (I'm hopeful lol)
If not, I'll keep my eyes on this thread to see if there are any further solutions for this workaround :)
The USB-C to VGA adapter is a simple adapter I use (with VGA CRT display) to verify that the USB-C port is outputting a DisplayPort alt mode signal. This can be seen in Ubuntu when connecting the USB-C port of the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 motherboard's Thunderbolt 3 port which is connected to the Intel CPU's integrated GPU. The Intel graphics drivers will capture some of the DPCD (DisplayPort Configuration Data) information from the DisplayPort device in the adapter. The DPCD shows that the adapter has 2 lanes of DisplayPort 1.2 HBR2.
When the power adapter arrives with the riser adapter, I'll test the VGA adapter with the Sunix and Gigabyte cards. I can also test with USB-C to DisplayPort cables to some DisplayPort displays and a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual Display Port adapter. I'll also use a USB PD sniffer to see what kind of Power Delivery the ports support.

The only thing I'm doing different from karatekid430 is using a simpler power supply and adding tests using a Thunderbolt 3 card and a USB PD sniffer.

Someone else will have to test using an ASUS MB169C+ Monitor.

. . .

The only thing I'm doing different from karatekid430 is using a simpler power supply and adding tests using a Thunderbolt 3 card and a USB PD sniffer.

Someone else will have to test using an ASUS MB169C+ Monitor.

That was a really simple explanation and I'm really appreciative of it!

So... I have 2 ASUS MB169C+ monitors... and it's my understanding (from previous posts in this thread) that even if I hooked both of them up to the 2 USB-C ports in the laptop, it would only output the display signal to one of them (only the USB-A monitors can output two separate signals to two separate displays). So having that been said... is that true? Do I have that bit of information correct?

So... I have 2 ASUS MB169C+ monitors... and it's my understanding (from previous posts in this thread) that even if I hooked both of them up to the 2 USB-C ports in the laptop, it would only output the display signal to one of them (only the USB-A monitors can output two separate signals to two separate displays). So having that been said... is that true? Do I have that bit of information correct?
You said the USB-C ports in your laptop do not support DisplayPort alt mode so no display signal would be output in that case. You can test that with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. If you don't have a DisplayPort display, you could add an active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter and plug it into a TV. If you use a passive HDMI adapter then you would be testing the USB-C port for HDMI alt mode which is not what you want in this case (plus, passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter is only HDMI 1.4).

I'm not sure what you mean by USB-A monitor. If you mean a USB graphics adapter that uses something like DisplayLink, then I think you can use as many of those as you have USB ports (including USB-C ports operating as USB). You can add more ports with a USB hub. Performance is reduced for each one you add. Such adapters use their own frame buffer, not the frame buffer or graphics acceleration of your GPU.

Since your laptop has two mini DisplayPorts, you will use each of those to output to a "DisplayPort to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode adapter" to connect to a MB169C+ monitor.

Since no one makes a "DisplayPort to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode adapter", you will use two externally powered Sunix UPD2018 cards or one Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE card (or two if one card can't power two displays). You will need two mini DisplayPort cables if you use the GC-ALPINE RIDGE method.

Anyone know of an adapter that can add, augment, or replace power delivery to a USB-C DFP in case the PCIe cards don't supply enough power? Bonus points if it works with both USB-C and Thunderbolt-3 (pass thru data). I suppose no one makes those either...

You said the USB-C ports in your laptop do not support DisplayPort alt mode so no display signal would be output in that case. You can test that with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. If you don't have a DisplayPort display, you could add an active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter and plug it into a TV. If you use a passive HDMI adapter then you would be testing the USB-C port for HDMI alt mode which is not what you want in this case (plus, passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter is only HDMI 1.4).

I'm not sure what you mean by USB-A monitor. If you mean a USB graphics adapter that uses something like DisplayLink, then I think you can use as many of those as you have USB ports (including USB-C ports operating as USB). You can add more ports with a USB hub. Performance is reduced for each one you add. Such adapters use their own frame buffer, not the frame buffer or graphics acceleration of your GPU.

Since your laptop has two mini DisplayPorts, you will use each of those to output to a "DisplayPort to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode adapter" to connect to a MB169C+ monitor.

Since no one makes a "DisplayPort to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode adapter", you will use two externally powered Sunix UPD2018 cards or one Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE card (or two if one card can't power two displays). You will need two mini DisplayPort cables if you use the GC-ALPINE RIDGE method.

Anyone know of an adapter that can add, augment, or replace power delivery to a USB-C DFP in case the PCIe cards don't supply enough power? Bonus points if it works with both USB-C and Thunderbolt-3 (pass thru data). I suppose no one makes those either...

You are correct in that the USB-C ports in my laptop do not support DP Alt-Mode... I was speaking in terms of: if I ever got an adapter to convert the signal, then it still would only display to ONE of those monitors at a time (I was told with any USB-C DisplayPort that even if you had multiple Alt-Mode supported ports in the laptop, it could only carry the signal to one at a time).

One of my HP external monitors does connect to my laptop via HDMI, so that works flawlessly :) But you're saying that if I got a Mini DisplayPort to USB-C adapter, that would work as well for my ASUS MB169C+ monitors??? If so... we've got a WINNER :-D and I'll definitely give it a try!

When I mentioned the USB-A monitors, I was referring to the ASUS MB169B+ monitors... which uses the USB 3.x ports to power and send the display signal simultaneously (had I known that my laptops were not compatible with the USB-C DP Alt-Mode, I would have just purchased the 169B+ series instead)... sorry for the confusion.

In your opinion, which would be the easiest external powering method for a non-hardware-techie (like me lol) to set up for my ASUS USB-C monitors: the Sunix UPD2018 or GC-ALPINE RIDGE method?

You are correct in that the USB-C ports in my laptop do not support DP Alt-Mode... I was speaking in terms of: if I ever got an adapter to convert the signal, then it still would only display to ONE of those monitors at a time (I was told with any USB-C DisplayPort that even if you had multiple Alt-Mode supported ports in the laptop, it could only carry the signal to one at a time).
A computer can have any number of graphics ports. Each port needs a connection to a GPU. A USB-C port with DisplayPort alt mode also needs a USB connection to a USB controller. A GPU can have more than one port. Add more GPUs to add even more ports. Actually, a single DisplayPort 1.2 port could output to multiple DisplayPort 1.2 displays using MST. The GPU driver and the displays must support MST. The MB169C+ does not support MST because it does not have a DisplayPort output to daisy chain another DisplayPort display. However, MST can be used with non MST displays using a MST hub.
https://www.startech.com/ca/AV/Disp...filter_AVMAXRESOLUTION=4K&filter_KVMAUDIO=Yes
Anyway, you don't need MST because you have two DisplayPort outputs already.

One of my HP external monitors does connect to my laptop via HDMI, so that works flawlessly :) But you're saying that if I got a Mini DisplayPort to USB-C adapter, that would work as well for my ASUS MB169C+ monitors??? If so... we've got a WINNER :-D and I'll definitely give it a try!
Yes, but there's no such thing as a DisplayPort to USB-C adapter, which is why we're using a PCIe card to do that (either the Sunix UPD2018 that converts one DisplayPort to USB-C, or a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card which can convert two DisplayPorts to two USB-C).

There are USB-C to DisplayPort adapters (either USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode connected to your GPU, or a USB DisplayLink graphics adapter which doesn't use a GPU), but that's not what you need for the MB169C+.

When I mentioned the USB-A monitors, I was referring to the ASUS MB169B+ monitors... which uses the USB 3.x ports to power and send the display signal simultaneously (had I known that my laptops were not compatible with the USB-C DP Alt-Mode, I would have just purchased the 169B+ series instead)... sorry for the confusion.
The MB169B+ uses EZLink, which is like DisplayLink. They do not have a direct connection to the GPU, so they have less performance than your real graphics ports (your Laptop's HDMI and mini Display Port ports). DisplayLink or EZLink might be fine for simple tasks like word processing, but probably not for watching video, and especially not for playing games. I've never used one before so I don't know how well it works.
http://www.displaylink.com/small-office/faq

In your opinion, which would be the easiest external powering method for a non-hardware-techie (like me lol) to set up for my ASUS USB-C monitors: the Sunix UPD2018 or GC-ALPINE RIDGE method?
I've done some testing today. The Sunix UPD2018 and GC-ALPINE RIDGE both work with the two items I listed previously:

However, there are two problems with the GC-ALPINE RIDGE:

1) The GC-ALPINE RIDGE does not seem to allow hot swap or switching of displays. If I disconnect one USB-C connector and replace with another, the new display does not get video. If I reconnect the same USB-C connector the display gets video. Actually, this is only a problem with Thunderbolt video. I can't switch from DisplayPort over Thunderbolt mode to DisplayPort alt mode (but I can switch the other way). Therefore, I would not count this problem against the GC-ALPINE RIDGE, since the UPD2018 doesn't do Thunderbolt at all.

2) GC-ALPINE RIDGE does not start working unless you connect the PCIe 1x connector (using the riser's included USB cable) to a computer's PCIe slot. It does not need to be a PCIe slot of the computer that you are trying to output video from. Once it starts working, it will continue to work after you disconnect the USB cable, even through restarts, as long as the molex connector is receiving power.

For problem 2, you need a PCIe slot. Laptops don't have PCIe slots but they may have PCIe compatible slots (mPCIe for Wi-Fi, or M.2 slot for Wi-Fi or SSD). Your Laptop has two possibilities (I don't know if either will work):
1) M.2 2230 Card with PCIe and USB interface
2) SSD M.2 2280 Card with SATA / PCIe Gen3x4 interface
The 3rd M.2 slot is SATA only.
For #1, you could use an adapter like this: R52Sz-nnnA (see http://www.hwtools.net/ExtenderBoard/R5 Series.html)
For #2, you could use an adapter like this: R42Sz-nnnA (see http://www.hwtools.net/ExtenderBoard/R4 Series.html)
z=F:strait R:right L:left
nnn=###:length in cm

If you use one of those NVMe to PCIe adapters, than maybe you won't need the original two items (riser and power supply) but I haven't tried it. You could gain a couple USB 3.1 gen 2 USB ports in that case, at least with the Sunix card since the Thunderbolt card needs some code in the BIOS to active its USB controller or something. At least in my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 motherboard which does not have a Thunderbolt add-in card header, the Thunderbolt card's USB controller started working after I ran Ubuntu with both DisplayPorts connected. The card has to be in the motherboard's PCIEX4 slot for the BIOS (or something) to enable the USB controller and PCIe over Thunderbolt. PCIe over Thunderbolt, DisplayPort, DisplayPort over Thunderbolt, and USB 3.1 gen 2 work in MacOS and Ubuntu. For Windows, PCIe over Thunderbolt does not work (something to do with the Intel Thunderbolt drivers maybe, since macOS (on a hackintosh) and Ubuntu don't have Thunderbolt 3 drivers to mess that up - but they don't support hot swap).

However, it maybe that the firmware in your Laptop blocks devices that are not meant for the M.2 slots from working. On the other hand, just being connected to the M.2 slot may be enough to get the Thunderbolt 3 card's DisplayPort conversion working. With my Gaming 7 motherboard, the PCIEX4 slot is mostly disconnected when the second NVME slot is occupied, but the Thunderbolt 3 card in that slot would still do the DisplayPort conversion anyway.

joevt You are a Godsend! Thank you so much for breaking all that down for me to understand so simply :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong: I'll order the "Sunix UPD2018" with the "OKGEAR PA-AD-UL 12V AC/DC Power adapter w/ 4pin molex connector" ?

And once I learn how to set everything up with my laptop and the two ASUS MB169C+ monitors I have, I'll be good to go? :-D

Does that sound like I have the right idea/method now?

joevt You are a Godsend! Thank you so much for breaking all that down for me to understand so simply :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong: I'll order the "Sunix UPD2018" with the "OKGEAR PA-AD-UL 12V AC/DC Power adapter w/ 4pin molex connector" ?

And once I learn how to set everything up with my laptop and the two ASUS MB169C+ monitors I have, I'll be good to go? :-D

Does that sound like I have the right idea/method now?
The Sunix UPD2018 only has one DisplayPort input/USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode output, so if you want to use both of your monitors, then you need two of those, plus two power adapters. And you also need a riser for each Sunix UPD2018.

Maybe you should just buy one Sunix, one power adapter, and one riser to see if it even works, before buying two of them.

Maybe you don't need two power adapters for two risers, if you use a molex Y adapter instead, The Sunix card is only x1, and an x1 PCIe card is only allowed 10W so one power adapter should be enough, with a molex Y adapter.

If you're thinking of getting more than one Sunix, then consider a riser with more than one PCIe slot, so you only need one power supply, and only one riser. I found these risers with more than one slot:
a) PCIe x1 to 4 PCIe 1X Slots
b) PCIe x1 to 3 PCIe 1X Slots
c) The IT-GO "ADP-099-31" has two PCIe x16 slots, a power supply, and an enclosure. This might be the best way to go even if you only want to use one PCIe card. The slots are only PCIe 1.0a, but you won't be using them for data.

The Sunix UPD2018 only has one DisplayPort input/USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode output, so if you want to use both of your monitors, then you need two of those, plus two power adapters. And you also need a riser for each Sunix UPD2018.

Maybe you should just buy one Sunix, one power adapter, and one riser to see if it even works, before buying two of them.

Maybe you don't need two power adapters for two risers, if you use a molex Y adapter instead, The Sunix card is only x1, and an x1 PCIe card is only allowed 10W so one power adapter should be enough, with a molex Y adapter.

If you're thinking of getting more than one Sunix, then consider a riser with more than one PCIe slot, so you only need one power supply, and only one riser. I found these risers with more than one slot:
c) The IT-GO "ADP-099-31" has two PCIe x16 slots, a power supply, and an enclosure. This might be the best way to go even if you only want to use one PCIe card. The slots are only PCIe 1.0a, but you won't be using them for data.

Okay... so I think I'll go to Amazon.com and find all items needed to work both monitors (just in case it works I wouldn't have to wait for another set to ship, and if it doesn't work I'll just return it all together):
  • 2 Sunix UPD2018
  • 1 Molex Y Adapter
  • 1 IT-GO "ADP-099-31"
Is that your recommended setup to try this out with both ASUS MB169C+ monitors?

Okay... so I think I'll go to Amazon.com and find all items needed to work both monitors (just in case it works I wouldn't have to wait for another set to ship, and if it doesn't work I'll just return it all together):
  • 2 Sunix UPD2018
  • 1 Molex Y Adapter
  • 1 IT-GO "ADP-099-31"
Is that your recommended setup to try this out with both ASUS MB169C+ monitors?
You don't need a molex Y adapter when using a multi slot solution. All the slots will be powered by the single power supply in that case.

I'm going to order the IT-GO "ADP-099-31" because I'd like to have an enclosure around these externally powered PCIe cards, and also to see if the addition of a bridge chip (used in multi slot solutions) will solve the GC-ALPINE RIDGE startup problem. Maybe the different power supply might have an effect. The enclosure of the IT-GO options is designed to fit in a DVD drive bay, but it should also work well standalone. Too bad they don't have a version that is PCIe 3.0 compliant. There may be other ODD sized solutions, but they don't provide a fully enclosed case for usage outside of a computer case.

You don't need a molex Y adapter when using a multi slot solution. All the slots will be powered by the single power supply in that case.

I'm going to order the IT-GO "ADP-099-31" because I'd like to have an enclosure around these externally powered PCIe cards, and also to see if the addition of a bridge chip (used in multi slot solutions) will solve the GC-ALPINE RIDGE startup problem. Maybe the different power supply might have an effect. The enclosure of the IT-GO options is designed to fit in a DVD drive bay, but it should also work well standalone. Too bad they don't have a version that is PCIe 3.0 compliant. There may be other ODD sized solutions, but they don't provide a fully enclosed case for usage outside of a computer case.

So then all I need is:
  • 2 Sunix UPD2018
  • 1 IT-GO "ADP-099-31"
?

I'm so glad you know what you're doing! lol thanks for all the advice :) I'll definitely be asking how to set all this up when it's delivered! lol (or is it pretty straight forward?) Maybe I'll make a video like karatekid430 did, but instead of demonstrating it would be more of a "I have no clue what I'm doing" video LOL

So then all I need is:
  • 2 Sunix UPD2018
  • 1 IT-GO "ADP-099-31"
?
I'm so glad you know what you're doing! lol thanks for all the advice :) I'll definitely be asking how to set all this up when it's delivered! lol (or is it pretty straight forward?) Maybe I'll make a video like karatekid430 did, but instead of demonstrating it would be more of a "I have no clue what I'm doing" video LOL
You should examine the descriptions of the products you're buying to verify that they meet the requirements. The Sunix UPD2018 product description shows that it has a DisplayPort input, and it comes with a DisplayPort male to DisplayPort male cable, but your laptop has miniDisplayPort outputs, so you will also need two mini DisplayPort male to DisplayPort male cables. Consider the lengths of the cables also, so that you'll be able to arrange you're laptop, the monitors, and the PCIe card adapter the way you like. The cables that comes with the Sunix or GC-ALPINE RIDGE are short because they expect the PCIe card to be used in the same computer as the DisplayPort output.

Have you looked at how much all this will cost? You'll have to decide if it's worth it. Maybe it would be cheaper to get new monitors? There's also the time involved. The IT-GO is from China, so it could take weeks to arrive (up to two months!). All the alternatives that I could find (cheaper or more easily/quickly obtainable) did not have a full enclosure. I'm doing this to see if it can be done, ignoring the question of should it be done.

The Delock 89582 appears to be an identical product to the Sunix UPD2018.

You should examine the descriptions of the products you're buying to verify that they meet the requirements. The Sunix UPD2018 product description shows that it has a DisplayPort input, and it comes with a DisplayPort male to DisplayPort male cable, but your laptop has miniDisplayPort outputs, so you will also need two mini DisplayPort male to DisplayPort male cables. Consider the lengths of the cables also, so that you'll be able to arrange you're laptop, the monitors, and the PCIe card adapter the way you like. The cables that comes with the Sunix or GC-ALPINE RIDGE are short because they expect the PCIe card to be used in the same computer as the DisplayPort output.

Have you looked at how much all this will cost? You'll have to decide if it's worth it. Maybe it would be cheaper to get new monitors? There's also the time involved. The IT-GO is from China, so it could take weeks to arrive (up to two months!). All the alternatives that I could find (cheaper or more easily/quickly obtainable) did not have a full enclosure. I'm doing this to see if it can be done, ignoring the question of should it be done.

There's a lot of truth to what you're saying... thank you for opening my eyes to the reality of this set up. I will go and do my research to find out which would be best at this point (go forward with the workaround or buy a different set of portable/mobile monitors instead) and get back to you with my decision!

I'm curious... do you ever plan to get a USB-C DP Alt-Mode monitor to test all this out yourself?

I'm curious... do you ever plan to get a USB-C DP Alt-Mode monitor to test all this out yourself?
I don't have a need for a USB-C DP Alt-Mode monitor. A one cable connection is nice, but for portability I would go without the display. For desktop, any monitor is preferable since they have standard DisplayPort and HDMI inputs, both of which can be converted from a USB-C alt-mode output. It's much more difficult to go from DisplayPort to USB-C alt mode as this thread describes. A proper DisplayPort + USB + Power to USB-C USB + DP alt mode + PD 2.0 would be a nice adapter to have, and would increase adoption of USB-C peripherals.

I think the solutions in this thread are useful if you already have the displays that require the solution or want to use a display that can't be handled otherwise. An example is your MB169B+ displays. A person might have an old Thunderbolt 2 display that they want to use with a computer that doesn't have Thunderbolt. A person might want to use a new 5K Thunderbolt 3 display with a computer that doesn't have Thunderbolt 3. My USB-C to VGA adapter is nice because it supports 2 lanes of HBR2 for higher resolutions and refresh rates (but I don't have much use for a CRT display). Most DisplayPort to VGA adapters are less capable. All adapters are less capable than graphics cards that included analog. That's a shame since most new graphics cards don't include analog anymore.

I don't have a need for a USB-C DP Alt-Mode monitor. A one cable connection is nice, but for portability I would go without the display. For desktop, any monitor is preferable since they have standard DisplayPort and HDMI inputs, both of which can be converted from a USB-C alt-mode output. It's much more difficult to go from DisplayPort to USB-C alt mode as this thread describes. A proper DisplayPort + USB + Power to USB-C USB + DP alt mode + PD 2.0 would be a nice adapter to have, and would increase adoption of USB-C peripherals.

I think the solutions in this thread are useful if you already have the displays that require the solution or want to use a display that can't be handled otherwise. An example is your MB169B+ displays. A person might have an old Thunderbolt 2 display that they want to use with a computer that doesn't have Thunderbolt. A person might want to use a new 5K Thunderbolt 3 display with a computer that doesn't have Thunderbolt 3. My USB-C to VGA adapter is nice because it supports 2 lanes of HBR2 for higher resolutions and refresh rates (but I don't have much use for a CRT display). Most DisplayPort to VGA adapters are less capable. All adapters are less capable than graphics cards that included analog. That's a shame since most new graphics cards don't include analog anymore.

Noted :) thank you for all your insight! For those who may deem it helpful, I will return with an answer regarding the decision to try the setup previously suggested or just get new monitors that will work out-the-box with my laptop.

My initial question is whether or not I can make it, is if this cable exist? Or anyone that has experience hacking/tinkering with USB standard.

Persinally, I hate people telling you that it can't be done, or you cant do it! That is wrong type of mentality,

Most peoples time is too valuable to spend hours/days on a potential solution that is likely not to work and/or destroy whats on both ends of the interface. We would rather buy the proper device(s) and move on with our lives. It's the mentality of people with better (to them) things to do. It isn't wrong just because you prioritize time wasting more than the rest of us.

I've tried the Thunderbolt 3 card in a PCIe 1.0 slot in my Mac Pro 2008 and it's able to convert DisplayPort input to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode. It has two inputs and two outputs, so it should be able to do two USB-C DisplayPort alt mode displays or display adapters. It can also do two streams of DisplayPort over Thunderbolt 3 which might be able to drive an LG UltraFine 5K display at 5K@60Hz (I've tested with a Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter). However, the LG UltraFine 5K display doesn't have onscreen controls. The display controls, audio, camera, and USB ports require PCIe over Thunderbolt which only works if you're motherboard has a Thunderbolt add-in card header.

Speaking specifically about the LG Ultrafine 4k Monitor and a Mac Pro, would the Sunnix card allow me to drive it with on screen controls / all the bells and whistles if I put it in one of my PCIE slots?

If I understand correctly the 4k doesn't require thunderbolt.

Thanks.

Speaking specifically about the LG Ultrafine 4k Monitor and a Mac Pro, would the Sunnix card allow me to drive it with on screen controls / all the bells and whistles if I put it in one of my PCIE slots?
If I understand correctly the 4k doesn't require thunderbolt.
Yes, the Sunix card (or Delock 89582) should allow that, since the LG Ultrafine 4k Monitor is a USB-C monitor. Note that the cards are PCe 3.0 x1 which gives nearly 10 Gbps in a PCIe gen 3 slot. The Mac Pro has PCIe gen 2 (or gen 1 depending on which Mac Pro and which slot you use). In a PCIe gen 2 slot, the card will allow USB up to 5 Gbps. In a PCIe gen 1 slot, the card will allow USB up to 2.5 Gbps (ball park figures). The LG Ultrafine 4K Display has USB 2.0 ports which only do 480 Mbps so the slot doesn't matter for the display (but the card has a second USB 3.1 gen 2 connector available so the speed may matter then if you connect a raid and expect to get more than 5 Gbps).

The cards have ASMedia ASM1142 USB 3.1 gen 2 controllers (10 Gbps) which require macOS Sierra 10.12 or newer. If you use 10.11 or older, it may be possible to change the firmware so they work as USB 3.1 gen 1 (5 Gbps) cards (CalDigit has that firmware but I don't think there's a download link?).

The on screen controls / all the bells and whistles require the USB controller of the card to be functioning, which requires the card be placed in one of your PCIe slots. Without a PCIe slot, it is still possible to use an externally powered card for DisplayPort only, but the USB ports and devices of the display will be non-functional. Audio could be done through USB or DisplayPort. Brightness control could be done through USB or DisplayPort (DDC/CI). I don't know what features (audio / controls) the LG display can use from DisplayPort only.

The display doesn't have USB 3.0 (only USB 2.0) because all 4 super speed lanes of the USB-C cable are used for DisplayPort 1.2 to achieve 4K@60Hz. The USB-C cable has USB 2.0 data lines for all USB-C alt modes. If a port doesn't support an alt mode (DisplayPort in the case of this display), then the computer can see a USB 2.0 billboard device that explains the lack of functionality. Windows shows a message when that situation occurs. Another example is when you try to connect a Thunderbolt 3 device to a USB-C port that doesn't support Thunderbolt 3 alt mode.

If we can figure out how to make a Thunderbolt 3 card work in an unsupported PCIe slot, then that would be another solution. In the case of the Mac Pro, it would be a superior solution since it would allow two USB-C displays, Thunderbolt displays, and maximum USB 3.1 gen 2 performance (since the Thunderbolt card has four lanes instead of 1).

There's also the time involved. The IT-GO is from China, so it could take weeks to arrive (up to two months!). All the alternatives that I could find (cheaper or more easily/quickly obtainable) did not have a full enclosure.
So I finally received the IT-GO "ADP-099-31". It works perfectly with two GC-ALPINE RIDGE cards installed. It solved the DisplayPort conversion startup problem of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE which means I don't have to connect the IT-GO to a PCIe slot of a computer (so it can be used with computers that don't have extra PCIe slots).

The requirements say that it's PCIe 1.0a compliant, but the bridge chip is an ASM1182e which has one 1x port upstream, and two 1x ports downstream, all PCIe gen 2. I forgot to ask for a power supply, so they didn't include one, but I had one from a OWC Mercury Elite Pro external hard drive https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MEP1BAY3A/

The IT-GO is a very solid case. The back plate is a bit too thick though, partially blocking the USB-C ports of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE, and also the screw holes for securing the top of each PCIe card. Those issues can be fixed by not using the back plate, or by grinding off a half millimeter in a few places. The USB-C ports of the UPD2018 might be ok since they seem to be mounted slighter higher off the PCB. The piece with the screw holes for securing the top of each PCIe card is removable, so you can use it to at least secure the PCIe cards together (and also hinder them from rotating upward since the piece is wider than the inside of the case).

Grinding list (viewing the side containing the PCIe bracket where the input/output connectors are):
1) For the case, extend upward by up to 1mm the cutout on the right side that accommodates the PCIe card's bracket so that the top of the PCIe card bracket won't make contact with right edge of the case when the card is standing perfectly vertical.
2) For the piece containing the retention screw holes, remove up to 1 mm from the side that mates with the back plate such that the retention screw holes are in line with the screw openings of the top of the PCIe card brackets.
3) For the backplate, enlarge the opening of each PCIe card opening by up to 1 mm on the left side of each opening so that USB-C connectors do not contact the backplate.

I had tried a PCIe x1 to 3 PCIe 1X riser but it did not solve the startup problem. I had to use it with the 1x to 16x riser because the 1x slots don't have the open end for allowing a 4x card and I didn't feel like using the Dremel on it. it used a PI7C9X2G404SLB which is a PCIe 2.1 4 port 4 lane PCIe switch.

I'm still trying to figure out the PD sniffer from plugable.com. It requires a certain version of Ubuntu for some reason. Other PD sniffers are more expensive but can be used in macOS or Windows.

Below is a picture with the areas that need adjusting marked. The left GC-ALPINE RIDGE card has a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter attached. The right GC-ALPINE RIDGE card has two USB-C DisplayPort alt mode adapters attached (the top port 1 is DisplayPort, the bottom port 2 is VGA). Both cards have two DisplayPort inputs attached.

IT_GO_adjustments.jpg

After a LOT of searching to figure out how to get my Asus MB169C+ to work with a GPU (inside my NFC S4 Mini chassis), I was finally able to thanks to this thread! I can post pictures if anyone wants a confirmation, but the Sunix card does have enough power for the MB169C+.

I used a standard PSU to power it via a PCIE 1x to 16x riser card, and I have an OKGEAR molex adapter on the way. I originally tried powering it with karatekid430's suggestion of using a USB-C to sata adapter. While the adapter itself worked with an SSD, it did not draw any/enough power for the riser + sunix card (via a sata to molex cable that I also tested). My hunch is that is due to power delivery negotiation being "smart", but I could be wrong. If anyone with more electrical knowledge knows how to get around that, that would be even better.

After a LOT of searching to figure out how to get my Asus MB169C+ to work with a GPU (inside my NFC S4 Mini chassis), I was finally able to thanks to this thread! I can post pictures if anyone wants a confirmation, but the Sunix card does have enough power for the MB169C+.

I used a standard PSU to power it via a PCIE 1x to 16x riser card, and I have an OKGEAR molex adapter on the way. I originally tried powering it with karatekid430's suggestion of using a USB-C to sata adapter. While the adapter itself worked with an SSD, it did not draw any/enough power for the riser + sunix card (via a sata to molex cable that I also tested). My hunch is that is due to power delivery negotiation being "smart", but I could be wrong. If anyone with more electrical knowledge knows how to get around that, that would be even better.
Did you check to see if there was any voltage from the USB-C to SATA adapter? There should be 12V. I don't think 3.3V or 5V is used but check those as well. Maybe the USB-C toSATA adapter doesn't output voltage unless a drive is connected? In that case, you would need to add a power splitter such as http://www.microsatacables.com/sata...sata-female-connectors2in-p22pm-2x15pf-7p-2in to get power, but it would need to support enough power for both the drive and the Sunix card. A PCIe slot is supposed to provide up to 10W for x1 and 25W for x4. SATA should provide 18W per wire (3 wires = 54W but adapters usually only use one wire but the wires won't melt at 25W).

Please post pictures!!! And links to purchase everything you used to get it working :-D A video would be nice too, to demonstrate how to set it up step by step ;-) I'm desperate! (and serious lol)

Looking forward to your reply!

I got all the other things i need to make this work, but I can't seem to find a link to purchase the IT-GO "ADP-099-31"... do you have one handy? :)

I got all the other things i need to make this work, but I can't seem to find a link to purchase the IT-GO "ADP-099-31"... do you have one handy? :)
Go to www.aliexpress.com. You may need a cell phone number to log in properly sometimes. The google account login option works to get around that.

Search for the following:
"it-go" pcie x16 riser

There are a few results with different prices. Not sure what's going on. Make sure you don't get a PCIe to PCI version. It must be PCIe x1 to PCIe x16.

I bought mine from the Official IT-GO store on aliexpress.com. Other stores might use a different model number : JC74 which seems to be the same thing.

There's one with model PL-ADP-099-31. I don't know what the PL means.

The enclosure depth (175 mm) is deep enough for half length cards (170 mm).

They have versions that connect using Mini PCIe or ExpressCard instead of PCIe:
- from ExpressCard to PCIe, full length : ADP-099-26, PL-ADP-A99-33
- from ExpressCard to PCIe, half length : ADP-099-33
- from Mini PCIe to PCIe, half length : ADP-099-40
- from PCIe to PCI, half length : ADP-099-28 (don't get this one because it's PCI, not PCIe)

The product name said "with power supply" but it did not come with the power supply. Maybe you need to request it from the seller? Or just make sure you have a suitable power supply handy (12V 2A at least). You could buy the power supple separately. macsales.com has power supplies https://eshop.macsales.com/Search/?filter.catidpath=2068/2071 . I used the power supply (OWCMEP1BAY3A) from an external hard drive, that I bought from them, to power the IT-GO.

Hello,
is there a way to connect a MacBook Pro early 2015 (Thunderbolt 2 / Hdmi) with the LG UltraFine 4K (USB-C)?

Back