Use phone hotspot for internet, need to connect a router, possible?

SultanGris

Limp Gawd
I use a phone hotspot for internet in my RV but i want to add some security cameras that require a LAN connection, is it possible to hook up a router wirelessly to my hotspot and then plug into the router and make everything work? I have an older linksys wrt54g router laying around, or will i have to buy some new hardware to accomplish this goal? Any help appreciated, thank you.

ok, ive made some progress but now im stuck. I put ddwrt firmware on it, set it to client bridge mode, it sees my hotspot but i dont see anywhere to enter the password for it, and it has no internet, anyone know anything about how to set that up correctly? thanks.

Get a mobile hotspot rather than going through the phone?

I'm certain it's possible to go through the phone, it's just a huge hassle. I've done it in the past via Internet Sharing through a PC, but that isn't exactly ideal. The mobile hotspot is going to do it, and since you already have a plan isn't going to cost that much to add.

These cameras... do they ~require~ internet (like Blink or Nest), or are they just networked and would work just fine on a LAN connection (IP camera)?

If they require internet, they have a good chance of chewing through your data plan like nothing else. If they are just IP cameras, you don't need to tether full time, and can just route the video to a local DVR or NAS in your RV.

will that work with a phone hotspot? I cant use an actual hotspot cause they limit the data on those, have to use the phone for a workaround to get unlimited hotspot data. Im in an rv and move a lot so wired/cable internet isnt an option.

Are you saying the ddwrt solution will not work? Ive forgotten more about computers than most people know, and networking was never my strong point as i never needed to network much, but i feel it should be possible with the hardware I have. Basically Im trying to put in some security cameras that require a hard wire connection to internet for remote viewing features. thanks.

Get a mobile hotspot rather than going through the phone?

I'm certain it's possible to go through the phone, it's just a huge hassle. I've done it in the past via Internet Sharing through a PC, but that isn't exactly ideal. The mobile hotspot is going to do it, and since you already have a plan isn't going to cost that much to add.

These cameras... do they ~require~ internet (like Blink or Nest), or are they just networked and would work just fine on a LAN connection (IP camera)?

If they require internet, they have a good chance of chewing through your data plan like nothing else. If they are just IP cameras, you don't need to tether full time, and can just route the video to a local DVR or NAS in your RV.
not sure, they have microsd card slots on the cameras and one on the gateway that came with, but only the gateway has a card in it, but the quick start guide says something about needing internet to get them to link up or something, they are night owl brand. havent tried to set them up yet cause if i cant get a wired internet solution i thought i might have to return them.

actual hotspot isnt an option for me, i must use phone. data use isnt a concern, i haven unlimited, but they limit data for actual hotspot devices, i can get around that problem on the phone but no idea if its possible with an actual hotspot, i would guess not.

i already have the phone hacked, i need to connect it to physical router wirelessly so i can utilize physical LAN cable connections.

Basically Im trying to set up my router as a bridge connection(I think is what its called, im not great at networking obviously, ha!) pulling signal from my phone hotspot so i can plug physical cables into the router for other devices to be able to use the internet from my phone hotspot. thanks.

Last edited:
Look up ddwrt as a repeater or extender. Or you can just buy a repeater with built in switch. I did this for months and it worked fine.

I used a net gear ex6200. I used it with factory firmware and also with ddwrt.

Look up ddwrt as a repeater or extender. Or you can just buy a repeater with built in switch. I did this for months and it worked fine.

I used a net gear ex6200. I used it with factory firmware and also with ddwrt.

sweet, thanks man. It appears to be working, i get internet on router through a laptop with a lan cable, Client bridge was wrong, shoudve been repeater bridge, and i failed to set the gateway ip and dns correctly, however now i can no longer access my router settings page for some reason, I change its ip but its not responding to the old one or the new one, but i have interenet through the lan ports so perhaps my goal will be accomplished now. thanks a million!

https://www.ubifi.net/
I use this at home, and have traveled with it. For example, drove across Texas with this, and connected my phone to the Mofi/Router. So far, no limits in one month I moved 2tb. It is ATT based so you need ATT coverage.

Can you USB tether the phone? If yes, you can tether to an asus router and share the data plan as well.

I use this at home, and have traveled with it. For example, drove across Texas with this, and connected my phone to the Mofi/Router. So far, no limits in one month I moved 2tb. It is ATT based so you need ATT coverage.

Can you USB tether the phone? If yes, you can tether to an asus router and share the data plan as well.
That looks interesting. They dont slow you down at all ever? Might have to check into that. Yea I can also usb tether. Currently I have it working through my old linksys router running ddwrt firmware, but Ill keep these options in mind for the future. Thanks

That looks interesting. They dont slow you down at all ever? Might have to check into that. Yea I can also usb tether. Currently I have it working through my old linksys router running ddwrt firmware, but Ill keep these options in mind for the future. Thanks

I've had it since November, no limits yet.
If tower is down, it is down otherwise it seems pretty ok. My other options are sat or *maybe* wireless.

90$ a month no thank you

Back