Use an external enclosure for DVD burner, or get a smaller PSU?

adri1456

Gawd
I'm building a watercooled QPack and last night, I bought an Antec TruePower 2.0 430watt PSU. When I test fitted it with a regular sized optical drive, the connector didn't fit.

So, the PSU is sitting in its package, waiting for me to make this decision: should I just use the PSU and get an external enclosure for the DVD burner, or return the PSU and try to find a smaller PSU? Or even try to find a smaller DVd burner?

This unit will be watercooled, and will be carried out of the room a few times a year. I don't mind the extra component on the case, as it can serve as a portable DVD burner.

Getting an external enclosure would be kind of ironic imo. Id just get a lite-on burner (very short) and sell the one you have now.

Skin said:
Getting an external enclosure would be kind of ironic imo. Id just get a lite-on burner (very short) and sell the one you have now.

I have an external HD....

Another vote for the LiteOn dvd burner. Mine JUST fits because the Antec PSUs seem to be oversized.

get the shorter optical drive...lite-on is what I have, although it sounds like a jet engine sometimes.

You can also use short molex connectors.

agentzero9 said:
Another vote for the LiteOn dvd burner. Mine JUST fits because the Antec PSUs seem to be oversized.
So, are all liteon burners short, or just specific models?

so far every Combo Drive and DVD Burner i have owned from them have been a combo drive, so i guess you can say yes they all are

Dillusion said:
I have an external HD....

It just doesnt make sense to have such a small case if you cant fit everything you need in it.

If you need an external hd for transferring purposes, thats a whole different story...

Okay, I went to two local computer stores, where one was compUSSR and other is a locally owned store. At compusa, they didn't have any liteon DVD burners, and at the other store, they compared a liteon 1693s06l to a pioneer drive. From the looks of things, it was 2/16 shorter.

The only thing that pisses me off, is that they have it for $100, while online is $50 :mad:
I hate living in Hawaii...

agentzero9 said:
Doesn't newegg ship to Hawaii?
Yeah, but I just wanted to see if Liteon drives are shorter.

I had a liteon CD burner that I bought a couple of years ago and when I put it against an older CD burner, it was the same size.

I just don't want to purchase a burner and wait a week to find out that it won't fit with my current setup. If I buy it locally, I know that I can just bring in the case and make sure it can fit (if I can carry it on the bus)

Back