Usb Wireless Network Cards

YoMoma

Limp Gawd
Needing a new usb network card. My old one bit the dust.
My situation...
I use a directional antenna to access my buddy`s router. And I have his permission. He lives on the other end of the block so there are trees and houses between us.
Before with a generic usb card my internet would drop at times. I`m looking to get a better usb net card and seems like the high powered ones would work better i n my situation.
I had in mind a 600mw model, but after looking on ebay I see all kinds of power ranges. Up to 2000mw. Higher power would mean better reception, right?
I`ve also heard that chipsets matter. This card was recommended to me.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168061&Tpk=EUB9603H
Would this one be better than alot of the higher power cards out there? And alot of them seem to be cheaper.
Does it all come down to chipsets?
Thanks and I appreciate any responses.

No, it's not all about the chipset.

Wireless networks rely on bi-directional communication. For long distance connections, both sides benefit from having high-powered transmission, but also should have improved receiver sensitivity. I would go for a directional one like this: POWERLINK Wireless 11N Ultra Long Distance Indoor and Outdoor Wireless USB Adapter, 1W High Power 28dBm w/Hi-Gain 12dBi Patch/Panel Antenna Improving 12X Signal Reception and Distance and 6x Speed - $46

Why High Power Routers Don't Improve Range

Back