USB Tethering Disabled - What Cable To Buy?

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

On my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, the USB tethering feature is disabled and won't turn on. I think it's because I lost my genuine USB cable and I am using a 3rd party one. I want the tethering feature back (so I can set up a tether connection with TrinusVR via USB and not wi-fi) but I am not sure what sort of USB cable I need. Should any cable advertised "fast charge" be tether capable?

What message do you see? I would think any USB cable would work for tethering, and if tethering is disabled it is because your service provider has disabled it -- not because of the cable. Fast charging uses higher voltage levels than standard USB cables so to cover their ass they only allow specific fast charge cables to do it even though the voltage increase is marginal (5v to 9v) and any USB cable should handle it just fine.

FYI For wires the voltage limits come from the thickness/capability of the INSULATOR and the current handling capability comes from the thickness/capability of the CONDUCTOR

I don't see any message, when I try to slide the bar where it says USB TETHERING in the phone settings, it doesn't let me, it's greyed out. I read that certain cables don't allow you to do this. My service provider? I bought the phone sim-less, it's not attached to any provider and I can use whatever sim card I like, it's unlocked from purchase.

The only reason why it wouldn't work is that your cable is power only i.e. it lacks data pins (and cables). If it's a cable problem that is.

ohh maybe your carrier got you... Carriers can disable certain features on their phones

Back