USB soundcard with a Toslink connector?

Nebell

2[H]4U
I'm building a micro-ATX setup and tossing a pci-e sound card in there would only block the airflow even more. Do you have any suggestions for a good USB sound card with a Toslink connector?
Not too expensive either, maybe $150 tops.

Last edited:
You want optical out (to receiver) or in (from turntable, TV, etc.)? Do you need other connections, too?

Only a 3.5mm for the headphones and Toslink for the home cinema, but I guess most soundcards have 3.5mm connector ;)
Audioengine D1 looks good, bit it's a bit expensive here in Sweden, I'll hit Ebay and see what I can find there.

Your ITX board doesn't have TOSLINK?

2. If you're considering putting a pcie sound card in it then I assume there is no dedicated gpu. So what do you need airflow for? *

*unless there is an itx board with dual pcie slots out there. But that means single slot graphics then?

Your ITX board doesn't have TOSLINK?

I think it does. It's Asus Z370-G Strix.
But integrated sound cards are not as good as dedicated.

2. If you're considering putting a pcie sound card in it then I assume there is no dedicated gpu. So what do you need airflow for? *

*unless there is an itx board with dual pcie slots out there. But that means single slot graphics then?

It has two x16 pcie slots. I just don't want a sound card obstructing airflow from bottom fans to the gpu.
It's not a big case and I need all the airflow I can get.

I actually got confused with these micro/mini, micro is a smaller measure than mini, but it's a micro-ATX, not mini ITX I'm building.

This is generally true, however, when dealing with digital output you're dealing with software only- all of the 'sound' is generated by what you're piping those bits to outside of the system. So long as the software is cooperative, and the Realtek stuff used on motherboards generally is, there's very little to worry about.

At worst, you pick up something with better software later.

This is generally true, however, when dealing with digital output you're dealing with software only- all of the 'sound' is generated by what you're piping those bits to outside of the system. So long as the software is cooperative, and the Realtek stuff used on motherboards generally is, there's very little to worry about.

I actually think I'll pass on USB sound card and just get Sound Blaster Z.
I had ZxR before in my old computer and liked it. Just the software could be better, but I can deal with it.
Z doesn't have all the extra shenanigans in form of an extra card.
Z is just ok price wise, and when it comes to airflow, soundcards are shorter than GPUs.

This is absolutely true. The toslink on this board will not be any less of quality than a external in this case.

For analog audio, yes add on sound cards can be superior due to better dac's. But for toslink it's all digital.

I actually think I'll pass on USB sound card and just get Sound Blaster Z.
I had ZxR before in my old computer and liked it. Just the software could be better, but I can deal with it.
Z doesn't have all the extra shenanigans in form of an extra card.
Z is just ok price wise, and when it comes to airflow, soundcards are shorter than GPUs.

Well, get what you want- I wound up returning the Z I purchased because it did goofy crap that I couldn't remedy. But it was great when it wasn't acting up!

This is absolutely true. The toslink on this board will not be any less of quality than a external in this case.

For analog audio, yes add on sound cards can be superior due to better dac's. But for toslink it's all digital.

Really? So what you guys are saying is that there is absolutely no difference in connecting Toslink to a motherboard or Sound Blaster Z?

I think I noticed quite a bit of power gain on my home cinema when I got Sound Blaster ZxR. But I might be wrong. I'm not an audiophile.

Well, get what you want- I wound up returning the Z I purchased because it did goofy crap that I couldn't remedy. But it was great when it wasn't acting up!

I had issues with my ZxR as well especially when I had to swap between headphones and home cinema, it was too complicated and sometimes wouldn't work, but in the end, it was worth it.

I had issues with my ZxR as well especially when I had to swap between headphones and home cinema, it was too complicated and sometimes wouldn't work, but in the end, it was worth it.

My recommendation: use the Z for headphones, either directly or with an external DAC/Amp through TOSLINK, and use the onboard TOSLINK for home cinema. Switch it in Windows, or possibly set output preferences if you only use certain apps for home cinema.

And it's the software on the Z that will make a difference. TOSLINK is TOSLINK.

I see.
Well, I had no clue that there was no difference between Toslink on a card and onboard. We learn something new every day :)
I have already decided to get Sound Blaster Z.
Now it does have Toslink port but after this discussion it's not the reason why I got it. I like the red color, it's not too expensive and has good reviews.

Toslink is pass through, your sound card does not process the audio. You need a decoder in the end point.

Are you trying to use TOSLINK to do PC gaming surround sound or just to do stereo and movie surround sound?

Back