USB or Firewire Drives with ZFS Server

artbird309

Weaksauce
I have a few USB/Firewire external hard drives laying around that are older and are IDE. I would like to use these drives in my storage server so they are not just laying around. But i do not have any IDE ports on my server. I do have USB ports that I could pass through or I could get a Firewire card and pass it through.

My server is running OpenIndiana with ZFS would this work or will I need to figure out a different use for those drives?

how big are these drives?

may just be better to scrap them and get 1 new SATA drive...

neither USB2 or firewire will give you fantastic performance.

They are smaller one, 250 GB. I just didn't want to scrap them because they are still working. I would use them for long term storage. They are USB 2.0 and Firewire 400. I have 4x 1TB WD RE4 in RAID-Z for my main pool.

No reason not to use them although I consider USB connections to be volatile in nature. I wouldnt depend on them for other than a secondary backup store.

That was my plan to use them as a secondary back store. I'm starting to use CrashPlan with a full backup in the cloud and secondary smaller local backup on my storage server.

It looks like I'll have to get them connected and try this out on my test server.

Back