USB keyboard/mouse switching? Not KVM!

Hoping someone out there will know of a product that will work for my current setup.

I have two computers, each with their own monitor, but I don't have room for a 2nd keyboard or mouse. I don't need a full KVM, since I don't need video switching, but I do need something that I can use to switch my USB keyboard and mouse between the two computers.

I have seen some cheapo USB peripheral switches, but they all say "Not designed for keyboard/mouse use". I suppose I could buy a KVM, but since I don't need the video switching, I'm hoping not to pay the extra cost for a feature I won't use. I've also heard a lot of negatives about KVM mouse/keyboard switching, so I'm hoping to find a device that is reliable and will fully support my Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and Logitech MX1000. Also, I've heard of some KVMs having issues with the nForce3 and 4 chipsets, one of my comps has an nForce4 motherboard (the other an intel 965).

Does anyone out there know of a reliable device for swapping USB keyboards/mice between two computers, or an inexpensive KVM switch that doesn't have terrible USB mouse/keyboard performance? If so, any idea if it will fully support my hardware?

Thanks for any help you can give!

I have an IOGear USB KVM 2port w/Audio that works quite well with my MS Ergonomic 4000, MS Intellimouse, and my two systems (in my sig). Since I have dual monitors, only one is hooked up to the video of the kvm, while my 2001fp has an input switch. I havent tried the kvm without the video plugged in, but I imagine it would work fine.

Well, an update on my situation in case anyone has a similar question. What I found out is that pretty much any USB 2.0 switching device will work fine for a mouse/keyboard. They say "not designed for mouse and keyboard" because they are not made to emulate a mouse/keyboard.

Many USB KVM switches emulate a standard mouse and keyboard in order to allow for quick swapping. Consequently, this emulation is also what keeps you from being able to use non-standard buttons on your mouse and keyboard while using these KVMs.

Since USB switchers do not emulate mouse/keyboard, your mouse and keyboard are basically being unplugged and replugged to your PCs each time you switch. You then have to wait for your computer to recognize the devices before they are useable. For some operating systems this can take awhile, making USB switchers a painful solution for mouse/keyboard usage, but for windows XP it only takes 2-3 seconds, which is completely acceptable for my purposes. Also, since the USB switch does not emulate a standard mouse/keyboard, I am able to use all the extra buttons and functions of my keyboard and mouse without issue.

I ended up buying an IOGear GUB201 USB 2.0 Peripheral Sharing Switch and have it hooked up to swap a powered USB 2.0 hub (built into my LCD monitor) between my two computers (with the keyboard and mouse plugged in to the USB hub). It's working great so far! The only issue I've found is that I have to manually switch the device, as it is not recognizing hotkeys that are pressed on a keyboard connected to it... but the device is small, so I have it sitting on my desk right next to my keyboard, making for easy manual switching.

Anyway, just thought maybe this could help someone in the future.

Hey worthless! (That sounded bad... I suggest you find a better username to use :p) Thanks for posting your experience with this issue - I'm looking for a solution to the exact same problem as you have described. I want to share my Logitech USB wireless keyboard and MX510 between my laptop and desktop without sacrificing the extra goodies that come with the keyboard and mouse so I'm looking into a USB switching device. I just read up on the Belkin USB 4X1 PERIPHERAL SWITCH (F1U401) but based on a couple of customer reviews, it seems this switch works by software only. What I mean is you have to press some hot keys in order to switch, which is okay with me when I'm using Windows but I don't know about Linux... So I'll consider your suggestion about that IOGear USB switch.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i would highly recommend Synergy.. its a Software KVM (no video) to share between computers and its free

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

i use to to control my laptop through my desktop and share clipboards

there is also Multiplicity, Maxivista and Kavoom but not free

This thread has been really helpful. Because of the info, I purchased a GWC SS2640 USB2.0 switch that has four usb ports. It's a lot cheaper than some of the suggestions posted above, and works great with my Logitech MX500 mouse and Saitek Eclipse keyboard.

Same question. Can I get an updated recommendation for 2014?

I would like a 4 port model. USB. Pure hardware solution, no software.

Would like to hear from anyone that has experience with a particular KM switch that works well.

I've been using this thing for a couple of years (along with a tiny 4 port hub): http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F1U200V-4-Port-USB-Switch/dp/B000EJUCVE/

Works ok for switching between my workstation and gaming box, and I use the monitor's OSD to switch video inputs. Were I to make this kind of purchase again, I'd probably seek out a 2 port solution with separate A/B buttons as most of the time that's all I need. A couple of minor quibbles with the Belkin switch that I have is that it's kind of easy to press the switch button one too many times and cycle past the input you wanted. The gaming machine also has some troubles now and again with picking up the USB devices when switched. I'm always able to just cycle through the inputs again to get it to work, and one switched and properly detected everything is fine.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Same question. Can I get an updated recommendation for 2014?

I would like a 4 port model. USB. Pure hardware solution, no software.

Would like to hear from anyone that has experience with a particular KM switch that works well.

Second that request.

If you just want to control 2 machines This will work and if you want to control 4 machines This.

Haven't been on [H] for a while, but these are worth remembering my password.

Back