USB issue = XP Issue?

Spidey329

[H]F Junkie
Not sure where to put this. It could be a mainboard issue, or an operating system issue.

But anyways, my problem consists of everytime I plug in a USB device, the system doesn't detect it (it used to pop up and say "new device found" in the corner). That same device, will automaticly be detected on my other system, which also runs XP. So I know it's not a driver issue. It doesn't matter what the device is. However, if I reboot it'll detect upon boot up and say "new device found". But if I unplug it, and plug it back in, it won't see it anymore.

Again, it's not device specific, it does it with all my USB devices.

Anyone have any problems like this? Any ideas?

I've done Windows Update, Bios Update, etc .. nothin. Is there a setting I missed?

System is in sig, mainboard is P4C800 (Asus).

maybe try uninstalling your usb host controller and root hub from device manager, then reinstall. you never know...

If you installed Win XP Service Pack 1, that might have gotten rid of your USB drivers. Uninstall them in Device Manager, then have Windows automatically install new ones.

Fixed it! Thanks guys.

For those wondering. I ended up having the exact same issue with another computer at work. There was a USB driver release that I didn't notice on the ASUS site. So only half of the USB internal hubs were installed.

Back