USB-IF Changes Branding Again With USB 3.2

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
While the existing USB 3.0 and 3.1 standards are already confusing enough, the USB Implementers' Forum just published a set of "Language Usage Guidelines" that will govern how sellers and manufacturers advertise the next generation of USB. The new USB 3.2 standard absorbs all prior 3.0 and 3.1 specifications, and divides the standard into 3 different parts. 5Gbps USB 3.2 Gen 1 will be marketed as "SuperSpeed USB," while the Gen2 and Gen2x2 standards will be marketed as SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps and 20Gbps, respectively. As PC World pointed out, the new branding has nothing to do with the physical connector or power-transfer capabilities, and they seem to think manufacturers could work their way around the branding limitations with deliberate ambiguity.

As others were quick to point out, there's really nothing that prohibits a laptop manufacturer, for example, from simply calling a device a "USB 3.2" port and failing to describe how much bandwidth it will provide to the user. The USB-IF's pleas notwithstanding, the only restrictions appear to be in the use of the USB-IF's logos, which requires passing the USB Compliance Program. Why this matters: There's one consolation: The new specifications are backward-compatible, meaning that you'll still be able to plug in an older USB device to a new USB 3.2 port. Still, the branding of it all is an absolute nightmare, and is an additional headache computer and smartphone buyers don't need.

These clowns don't know what they are doing, and haven't since they started.

Otherwise they would have launched with the new style reversible USB connector already back in 1996

Tell me again, which is faster? "Full Speed" or "Hi Speed"?

I can't roll my eyes far enough for an appropriate response to these clowns.

No doubt the involved companies put together a committee of their marketing representatives.

Steve from GamersNexus had the right idea in his last "industry news" video (I'm paraphrasing here):

Call it USB 3.<speed> where <speed> is in Gb/s:

"USB 3.5" for USB 3.0 (original) and USB 3.1 Gen1 and USB 3.2 Gen1 (SuperSpeed) (5 Gb/s)
"USB 3.10" for USB 3.1 Gen2 and USB 3.2 Gen2 (10 Gb/s)
"USB 3.20" for USB 3.2 Gen2x2 (20 Gb/s)

The only problem is that vendors already have the old names written on boxes on shelves of product at the store.

So yeah, let's keep it confusing for the sake of consistency, I guess. (y)

If anyone knows the answer - please explain (I am honestly curious about this). Why did we ever get USB 3.x and not "USB 4"?

Something like this:
  • USB 3.1 = USB 4
  • USB 3.2 = USB 5
I understand a standard can't be changed after the fact, but why was it named this way in the first place?

I'm honestly speechless.

I thought everyone knew how abhorrent the last cluster of a naming "convention" was, but rather than rectify - they double down and go Full Retard.

Is it possible to have a more consumer-hostile set of names?

How does the marketing team still have a job? Or have they made the branding very confusing for your standard consumer on purpose.

Trying to figure out what motherboards/usb hubs have what has never been more annoying.

What is the speed of USB C at now? Will it finally be at 20Gbps?
Depends if it is USB C 3.0, USB C, 3.1, or USB C 3.2, C is just the connectors name, just as there is A and B as well. The USB standards people have been messing this up for years, especially when you get into their mini and micro specs as well tossed in there. Buzzwords for the sake of Buzzwords I guess

I still haven't upgraded all my USB1 stuff to USB2.

I only have a single USB3 drive, because my PS4 required USB3 for backup and wouldn't work with the old stuff that I had laying around.

I don't have any USB C stuff, but it sounded like a great idea... reversible connector and all. I liked Lightning before I switched over to Qi.

Type A, Type B, Mini-A, Mini-B, Micro-A, Micro-B, Micro-B 3, and C... Now throw 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.2 10, 3.2 2x2..... UBS is a mess.

USB was great when it was all Type A / Type B, and that was all you had to worry about. Now it's a plague and I have a rats nest of various cables, and whatever cable i need is inevitably the one I have only in 6" or 15' length.

Make USB Great Again.

I see with the 20Gbps data rate, they are using a dual-lane operation. Sounds like parallel to me. Why not name it UPB?

If anyone knows the answer - please explain (I am honestly curious about this). Why did we ever get USB 3.x and not "USB 4"?

Something like this:
  • USB 3.1 = USB 4
  • USB 3.2 = USB 5
I understand a standard can't be changed after the fact, but why was it named this way in the first place?
I heard it remained 3.x because of the the legal agreements in place. They didn't want to draw up new docs for all the IF members to sign to bump it to 4.x

Steve from GamersNexus had the right idea in his last "industry news" video (I'm paraphrasing here):

Call it USB 3.<speed> where <speed> is in Gb/s:

"USB 3.5" for USB 3.0 (original) and USB 3.1 Gen1 and USB 3.2 Gen1 (SuperSpeed) (5 Gb/s)
"USB 3.10" for USB 3.1 Gen2 and USB 3.2 Gen2 (10 Gb/s)
"USB 3.20" for USB 3.2 Gen2x2 (20 Gb/s)

The only problem is that vendors already have the old names written on boxes on shelves of product at the store.

So yeah, let's keep it confusing for the sake of consistency, I guess. (y)

Everyone is focused on the speeds, but there are large protocol differences between the modes (not that the consumer cares). Also there is a Gen1x2 mode that is ~10GB/s so that would have to be like USB 3.9

This is why I avoid using USB for anything except simple stuff like keyboards and mice.

I will try almost another other interface first.

So hold on...USB 3.0 and 3.1 Gen 1 are 5Gb/s and are identical (to all intents and purposes) and USB 3.1 Gen 2 is 10Gb/s. Now we have USB 3.2 Gen 1 which is also 5Gb/s, 3.2 Gen 2 which is 10Gb/s and 3.2 Gen 2x2 which is 20Gb/s? 3.2 is new so how can there be Gen 1 and Gen 2 already? These people truly are idiots...

The USB bus design and protocol has been a huge benefit to the digital community, but the bonehead-shit surrounding it started from day one. Who designs a new universal connector that isn't universal and doesn't have any indication of which way it's plugged in?

usb 3.1 is better than 3.0 make sense

buzzardo > buzzword> marketing words.. > nonse makes no sense

This is the opposite of helping the issue

Hey guys.. don't forget USB 3.0 with UASP. It is supposedly faster than regular USB 3.0.

The whole naming convention after USB 2.0 came out has been completely stupid.

And also don't forget that the whole USB 3.0 storage device speed can vary greatly.. from slower than USB 2.0 speed to pretty much full USB 3.0 speed... and it is pretty impossible to tell exactly what you will get unless you go look up reviews of the specific product including revision of said product.

The companies that make these products should be required to supply industry standard (real world) benchmarks of all their products.

I heard it remained 3.x because of the the legal agreements in place. They didn't want to draw up new docs for all the IF members to sign to bump it to 4.x

*sigh* well that sounds absurd enough to probably be true haha.

Laziness prevails :facepalm:

b69.jpg

The speed bump should of been just the usb 3.2 3.3 so on and usb 4 maybe new plug

Main thing was usb 3 and usb 3.1 was from USB 3 plug to a mini USB 3.1 or higher usb-c plug (not that it means you have usb 3.1 as phone makers have been using USB 2 for some time with the Usb-c plug)

Superspeed is redundant. Usb 5g, usb 10g, usb 20g. Easy, simple, descriptive.

Back