USB hub doesn't work with WinXP?!

ycchan

[H]ard|Gawd
So I bought a cheap 4 port USB hub that is 2.0 compatible. I figured it is a simple plug and play procedure but WinXP Pro SP2 doesn't seem to recognize it. :confused:

I plug it into the USB port and get an error message: "USB Device Not Recognized, one of more USB devices has malfunctioned blah blah blah".
I try the other USB port (2 in total) and I get a different message saying this device works faster in 2.0 port but my laptop has two 2.0 compatible slots! I test it using a memory stick and it flashes with activity however when I try to open the contents, theres nothing in it. :confused:

I then test the hub in a different laptop which is running Windows Vista, and everything works fine. :mad:

I know theres nothing wrong with the ports on my laptop running WinXP Pro.

Anyone have a clue whats wrong?

Try reinstalling latest chipset drivers for your motherboard..perhaps the USB2 drivers aren't properly loaded.

I think you answered your own question. Quote "I bought a cheap 4 port USB hub"
I have one here myself that is hit or miss on my XP box. On one boot-up it works on the next it doesn't. In my case I think it's the cheap "poor quality" cable that came with it and the fact that it isn't powered. If yours isn't powered it may be that it just can't get enough juice to run from the laptops USB port. Could also be that it doesn't communicate well with the USB chip-set in the laptop. It's suposed to be universal but USB doesn't seem to be so universal to me.

I think you answered your own question. Quote "I bought a cheap 4 port USB hub"
I have one here myself that is hit or miss on my XP box. On one boot-up it works on the next it doesn't. In my case I think it's the cheap "poor quality" cable that came with it and the fact that it isn't powered. If yours isn't powered it may be that it just can't get enough juice to run from the laptops USB port. Could also be that it doesn't communicate well with the USB chip-set in the laptop. It's suposed to be universal but USB doesn't seem to be so universal to me.

Yeah but it works with Windows Vista.

Its possible that XP just doesn't know what it is, there may be a built in driver for vista only. Does it say it supports XP

It may be laptop versus desktop (hardware problem) or a Vista versus XP (software problem). The USB 2 drivers supplied by my motherboard manufacturer are the same ones included with XP. There are no drivers for my Hub it's supposed to be universal. When it's not working all I have to do is un-plug it and plug it back in and it then works. I am going to try a better USB cable on it at some point. If that doesn't fix it it goes into the junk draw. I don't have any suggestions for you but I do hope you get it working reliably.

There's a good chance that it's a power issue. The hub is trying to draw a little too much power and the laptop is balking at it. I've seen the same thing with cheaper USB hubs and mobile devices at work.

There's a good chance that it's a power issue. The hub is trying to draw a little too much power and the laptop is balking at it. I've seen the same thing with cheaper USB hubs and mobile devices at work.

True..sometimes USB devices that are "parasitic" powered can act up on some USB controllers.

I would suggest Maximus is correct. I have seen the issues you describe happen with several USB devices when the system either wasn't providing the standard amount of power to the port or the device was trying to draw too much.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess its not providing as much power but my other laptop running Vista has enough power?

Would you suggest getting another higher quality USB hub? Wouldn't the outcome be the same?

Get a (self) powered HUB, one with its own power brick. My old USB 1 hub was like that and I never had any problems with it except for the "this device would preform better" balloons when I connected it to my newer USB 2 PC. ;) Another option is what they call a docking station. In it's simplest form it's just a USB hub with a few extras like PS2 keyboard, mouse ports, and maybe a LAN jack. My father used one on his Dell Laptop. He liked it because he only had to unplug plug in one cable for everything including his internet connection. I think he had an old parallel port laser printer connected to it too. They almost always come with a power pack and are better quality that a generic HUB. Of course if you are never going to use the extra (none USB) ports it's a bit of a wast of money.

Back